Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 How tall should a horse be?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

horselvr0405
Beginning Rider

107 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile Send horselvr0405 a Private Message
Hello all! I am back with a bit of a weird question. I am buying an awesome arabian mare (12 yrs old) who I took care of at my place for a few months. I know this horse well. She is perfect--stands for everything, easy to catch (walks up to you!), listens, sweet natured. I will be using her just for trail riding only. My question is this: I am 5' 11" and she is barely 5 hands! She does have a bit of a rounded belly though, so my long legs do go around her ok. I only weigh 135 so I dont think weight is an issue. I wont be showing so that is also a nonissue. I just want to know you thoughts on this--is this horse just too small for me? She was originally used as a lesson horse for kids! But, like I said, who cares, right? Please tell me your thoughts! Does anyone else that's tall ride a "vertically challenged" horse??!
Thanks in advance!

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Do you mean 15 hands, 5 hands, yes that's too short even for me!

Do you feel way to tall when you ride her? A horse should be no shorter then you feel or look right on but no taller then you are willing to fall. lol Some prefer shorter horses. 15 hands should be more then tall enough for you. And as you can see with this horse a rounder, wider horse can handle a longer legged rider. As long as your feet aren't meeting under her belly or draging on the ground you should be fine. Unless she has a problem with carrying you or feel so out of place on her what's the difference. I know some riders taller then you that ride horses that are shorter then that. Sometimes people pick on them but those people don't have to ride the horse.

She sounds like a great horse and you really like her, does it matter if she is 15 hands? I would rather have a great horse that I like then one that is what someone else would think is the right height.
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  5:58:04 PM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
I ride a horse that is 14.3 hands. I am 5'5, i thought at first she would be too short for me, i feel really comfortable on her.It's all what you prefer, at least when i fall, i don't have too far to go. Remember a horse at 16 hands is only 4 inches taller than one at 15 hands.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Just to clarify a hand = 4", a horse 60 inches tall is a 15 hand horse.
At 5'11 and 135 pounds you shouldn't have any worries as long your stirrups can be adjusted to fit you and the saddle fits the horse. Sounds like you have a real nice horse and I would not hesitate to buy him. Horses don't care how tall you are:) Have to watch those low branches when on the trail though.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Mr. Parrot at 6' and 2--# has been riding his 15.2 mare for years, and loving it. That is only 2' taller than your mare. If ya love her, buy her..

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

horselvr0405
Beginning Rider

107 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:45:49 AM  Show Profile Send horselvr0405 a Private Message
Thanks so much you guys! I feel alot better. I do love this horse--I am so excited! I dont feel awkward on her or anything--maybe a little tall, but it is shorter to the ground!
I am going to try and import a pic....well, cant insert after all! I am going to try and found out how, then I will come back here and show you a pic! She is so sweet!
Thanks again!

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:48:07 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
The pic has to be uploaded to photobucket, copy the IMG code & paste it into the post here.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My mare, who is very stocky, is a mere 14-2 hands, while I am very, very close to 5'8". Yet, we really do "fit".

<Patiently waiting for pix> hehehe

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

horselvr0405
Beginning Rider

107 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  7:58:51 PM  Show Profile Send horselvr0405 a Private Message
THanks you guys!! Ok, here is the pic!

My stirrups are too short, making me look even taller, but oh well. Hope you enjoy the pic!

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
You two look like a perfect match!! Enjoy her. I am short. abput 5' 1" and my main squeeze is about 14-2 or 3. I also have one that is about 15 hands. Needless to say, I can get one the shortest one easier....good things come in small packages!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  05:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
You look fine on your horse. I think you are a match.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Pretty horse! Love the way Arabs look, and you look like a match!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000