Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Drill Team!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:34:54 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
A couple of weeks ago during a regular riding lesson with my neighbor, we did a few moves that a newly formed drill team had been working on. I really enjoyed that so I went to the drill team practice this past Tuesday evening.

It was a blast! There were 8 riders on all sorts of horses of varying experience but we managed to get through the maneuvers without mishap. The pinwheel was the most challenging because of the number of horses so we did a double pinwheel with 4 horses going one way & weaving through the other 4 going the opposite way.

Joe is still having hoof issues and isn't completely sound so I rode a really really NICE black overo gelding that is for sale. I may need an intervention.....

The hardest part was practicing the pinwheel w/o horses! I was on the outside so had to RUN around the perimeter. WHEW! Thank goodness we only did it a couple of times. Right now the plan is to have the drill team perform during the breaks at monthly horse shows which start in April. I just hope we do it on the horses! LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Wow...sounds like a blast. And as a charter member of HAA, you don't need an intervention, you need to BUY THAT HORSE IMMEDIATELY!!! I mean really, you can't expect poor Joe to do EVERYTHING!! He is your trail horse...you absolutely have to have a drill horse!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/16/2006 12:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:08:35 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
LOL! PG; I was in marching band in high school(waaaay back when), and when we were on parade, we had to swing our lines around the corners like a pendulem on a clock, just like you were discribing. As you know, I'm only about 5'1" tall & short legged, and many is the time I had to really step out to stay in line and in time to the drums when I ended up on the far end.

Aaaaahhhhh! The memories.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
An intervention??? Not the meddlin' type if it's a good horse!!!

When I was a kid and took lessons, we started doing drill tem formations, was fun but as I recall at 8 years old we didn't have the best control of horses .... ended up as chaos with horses bucking and riders falling (yep, me!)

Few years ago when taking lessons, barn owner talking about an old ladies drill team. I volunteered my services, but no takers...

Sounds like a GAS!!! Hope you keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Oh thanks a lot, Flopper...errmmm I mean Flooper.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I am always happy to help our a fellow HAA member. In fact, I have already begun looking for the new show saddle (lots of silver looks good in drill teams) and the new trailer with air conditioned/heated dressing room that you'll need to carry the new horse to go to the drill performances. I'll post some links when I find something good. Oh...and as far as the new tow vehicle for the new trailer to carry the new horse, make sure you get the heated leather seats...really nice on those cold days.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
...or....if you pass on purchasing the overo....perhaps you would pass along his info to a fellow DE and HAA member??? <me, me, me> lol

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  5:34:42 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
Wow! That must have been fun!
I always wanted to be part of a drill team!
So much fun it looks like! and the music really gets into it!

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Sounds like loads of fun! Anytime you get a group of horse lovers together, it's bound to be fun. Trail riding is fun, so I would imagine this would be too! I just hope you finally get to do it horseback....LOL!! Keep us up on your progress and all the good tidbits! Sounds like Flooper has learned the rules very well! He just might get a promotion in the HAA!
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
Oh I love drill team. I road in the drill team in high school in South Dakota. We used to travel around and perform at all the rodeos. There was about 20 horses on our group. It was so much fun. I have been trying to find something like that around here that I could join. But all I can find if the 4H drill team. Unfortunately, my girls have grown up and moved away. I have no move 4H members at home to ride with me anymore. They barely come home to see the horses. so I don't think the 4h team will let me in now that I don't have anything to do with the 4h club any more???

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

I am always happy to help our a fellow HAA member. In fact, I have already begun looking for the new show saddle (lots of silver looks good in drill teams) and the new trailer with air conditioned/heated dressing room that you'll need to carry the new horse to go to the drill performances. I'll post some links when I find something good. Oh...and as far as the new tow vehicle for the new trailer to carry the new horse, make sure you get the heated leather seats...really nice on those cold days.

Thanks Flooper! Just let me know when you'll be delivering all that new stuff. I don't want a big heavy saddle and it should have a 15" seat. The trailer needs to be a 3 horse slant with a walk through to the horses. Make sure the generator is really quiet. The truck should have plenty of tow power... I don't want my tranny to overheat. I'm thinking a 4 door would be nice but might accept an extended cab and, yes, leather heated seats is a must. And while you're at it, you can buy the horse for me too!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
No problem, Paint. Just PM me your credit card number and I'll get started right away!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/17/2006 10:40:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000