Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 feeding time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hank635
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  10:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hank635's Homepage Send hank635 a Private Message
I feed my horses twice aday in the morning and in the evening. I give them 2 scoops of grain and hay. That is what I was told to do by some of my horse friends. Now what I don't know is how many flakes of hay should I give them and what exactly is a flake? How wide is it suppossed to be? (the flake) 1 inch, 2 inch I just don't know. My horse are not stalled but there is not alot of grass in the field either. Thank you

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
A flake is really a non-standard measure. It is usually just how the bale falls into pieces. It is really better to go by weight of the hay. Even 2 flakes of the same size can weigh different depending on the hay. The rule of thumb is about 2% of total body weight of feed per day. For a 1000 lb horse that would be 20 lbs of feed. This is the total including both hay and grain. By far the most of it should be hay, as a general rule. A lot of horses can keep their weight good just on the hay. However, I like to feed just a little grain too, maybe 1/2 lb twice a day, just for a treat and to have something to mix any supplements with. After starting off with about 2% per day, then adjust that based on whether they are keeping a good weight, gaining, or losing. If they need to gain weight, add more grain.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Edited by - hmeyer on 02/09/2006 12:44:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Yep you really need to weight things out. Not even every scoop is the same and each grain weighs different. One scoop of SafeChoice could be 2 lbs but of oats it might only be 1 lb.

What I do for grain is weight it out and then figure out a scoop for it. I know that the grain I'm feeding the horses is 3 cups per pound so I use a cup to measure it out. The old Beet Pulp I was getting was 3 cups per pound also but the new stuff is SIX cups per pound. Huge difference there. If I wouldn't have measured it she would have only been getting half of what she needed. I also remeasure even the ones like SafeChoice from time to time just to make sure.

With hay if you don't want to weight it every time and you aren't good at guessing you can weight out so much and put it in a hay bag to use as a guide. Just remember that each bale is going to be a little different or a lot different sometimes so you may want to remeasure a new bale from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Pretty much feed the same as HMeyer and weigh averything. Depends on the time of year how densely the hay gets compressed it seems as well as the type of hay you feed, so wt. is the most accurate way. You get to the point where you can eyeball it pretty good and on the money when you check the wt. Can titrate it up or downs (#lbs./horse) depending on how they are looking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000