Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Horse out of breath
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hank635
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  10:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hank635's Homepage Send hank635 a Private Message
I have a nine yr old gelding and when you ride him he starts breathing real hard like he is out of breath and then after riding him for awhile he stops. I have had him for about one yr and I didn't really notice it before but I do now. He is a little overweight and he is not ridden alot. What do I need to do if anything?

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  11:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
How much is he ridden and how over weight is he? It could be that he is out of shape but it could also be something else. Only your vet would be able to rule things out.
Go to Top of Page

hank635
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  08:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit hank635's Homepage Send hank635 a Private Message
He is only ridden about twice a month. Due to the fact that there is too many horses to ride. That's why I am selling him. I don't know how much weight he is over only that he is a real stocky quarter horse.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I would have your vet check him for asthma (also called heaves, I think...at least by my vet) My old boy Teddie has the same problem...some days gets so he can hardly catch his breath...other days he can go all day long. We have injectible prednisone and also prednisone tablets we have to give him when he's having a hard time breathing...it's basically the same stuff they give humans with asthma. Does he eat hay from round bales? Is he in a dusty, dry environment? Those type of things can aggravate the condition.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

hank635
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hank635's Homepage Send hank635 a Private Message
I feed him twice a day from square bales and we do not live in a dry area. Although here in Kentucky it is one of the worse places for asthma in humans.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  11:01:20 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Dove has heaves to the point he can't have any hay, and usually after short works, he'll cough if asked to trot or canter for too long at one time. I give him a granual medication called Tri-Hist that I get from my vet when he has trouble breathing when at rest. When this happens, the horse cannot stop breathing harder than normal and needs the help of an antihistamine/decongestant. That's what Tri-Hist is.

A heavey horse is best kept outdoors or where he can get plenty of fresh air and ventilation. Keep him away from anything that will cause dust or allergents to get up his nose such as dusty bedding, hay, or straw. Drenching hay will help(but it didn't help Dove. We had to put him on a complete feed... no hay!). The best thing for a heavey horse is to have them on pasture 24/7.

Heaves is actually called Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. (COPD), and once a horse has this, it will not get any better(though it can get worse) and it's incurable.

So, from what you have said, I really don't think your horse has heaves as much as he's probably just out of shape .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Teddie had none of the usual signs of heaves...didn't cough a lot, etc. Just every so often would have very labored breathing where he couldn't catch his breath. And when ridden, he would often start breathing really heavy and want to stop. Vet diagnosed it as asthma, and also referred to it as heaves. Your horse's symptoms sounds exactly like what Teddie was doing...more than just being out of shape.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000