Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Absess
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaryJane044
Tenderfoot

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  2:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit MaryJane044's Homepage Send MaryJane044 a Private Message
Hey everyone,
We discovered that my horse has an absess about 3 weeks ago. We've had the farrier remove the pressure by creating a hole on the bottom of the foot (around the white line) to let the absess come out. That was about 2 weeks ago. We called the vet and we were told that we are doing everything correctly which is: soaking in epson salts 20 mins, once a day; applying bedidine (i know thats not spelled right) and "sugar-dine" (suger and idodine mix) to kill the bacteria inside the hole; putting a maxi-pad to hold the mix in place and wrapping with vet-wrap, duct tape, and a medicine boot; and giving 2-4 grams of Bute during the day.
He's been allowed to be in a small paddock during parts of the day with one other horse. He is still limping but we are trying to limit how much Bute he is getting. Please let me know what i can do better so i can ride again soon!! I'd love some imput and help from you guys Thanks bunches

Blue Skyes

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I've battled a couple of abcesses and the only thing different I did was give oral antibiotics. I'm a little concerned that your horse is still favoring that foot though. My horse went sound within a day after the abcess was drained. I didn't even give him bute.

Is it possible that he has another pocket of infection or that the abcess never fully drained?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  4:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Hi Mary Jane. Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are doing okay with your method.
Our routine for an absess after the very hot ( as hot as you can stand with your bare hand) morning & nightsoak , is to mix epson salts with bran to make a bit of a sloppy mix, hold it in place with a foot sock and cover it with the medicine boot between soaks. Our thought is to keep the drain open until it heals from the bottom out. Unless there is unusual heat or swelling we perfer not to use antibiotics as we feel the it may force the absess to heal even if there is some foreign object as the cause of the absess. Have had some experience with the absess returning which it will if the source of the infection is not found. Depends on the reason for the absess in the first palace.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 01/30/2006 5:01:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane044
Tenderfoot

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit MaryJane044's Homepage Send MaryJane044 a Private Message
thank you guys so much. i've taken everyone's treatments into consideration. we actually think that we've been soaking the foot too much with the epson salts now. he's showing signs of improvement so hopefully he will heal quickly. Thanks again!!!

Blue Skyes
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Glad to hear the treatment's working

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane044
Tenderfoot

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  9:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit MaryJane044's Homepage Send MaryJane044 a Private Message
He's doing much much better. The shoe was put back on last week, and I was able to ride him for the first time today :0) He was really happy to get back to work. Thanks again for y'alls responses.

Blue Skyes
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  05:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are going well. Did you have to use anti-biotics?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane044
Tenderfoot

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  2:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit MaryJane044's Homepage Send MaryJane044 a Private Message
No antibiotics were used, which i guess is a good thing. We had the farrier come look look at it again last week, and thats when he put the shoe back on and said i could do light work with him now. I'm glad we didnt have to have the vet come out (too much money!!) haha.

Blue Skyes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000