Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Lost Bridge West in January
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  2:14:49 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I couldn't believe the weather, yesterday, for the end of January! Normally, when thinking of our neck of the woods, this time of year, snow covering everything and temps at freezing or below is the norm. So, what came our way? Try 50 degree plus temperatures and a warm breeze! Heck, you would've thought the calander had made a sudden jump to April or May! I didn't hesitate and jumped Terra into the trailer for the short hop over to Lost Bridge West at the southern end of the Salamonie Reservoir.

I was delighted to see I wasn't the only one to take advantage of the nice weather. Three other rigs were already parked in the day rider's area when I arrived... even though I rode by myself. Actually, I felt like I really needed to get out somewhere by myself, so I didn't really mind the solitude(Please be aware that I don't approve of anyone riding by themselves for safety reasons, but it's just something I've done around Salamonie since I was a kid... and it's been a long time since I was a kid.).

I think Terra was just as eager to be out and away from the barn as I was, but she had her own ideas as to how the ride should go. Don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful ride, but there were a couple of places that Terra tried to show she was the boss and not me:

The first time was when we were going up a 30 foot tall hill at maybe a 45 degree slant. Terra wanted to run up, and I decided to let her... never dreaming she was going to kick like a mule at a dead run near the top! Angry, I disciplined her immediately, jerked her around deliberately, and made her walk back down the hill. Once there we turned around, again, and walked calmly up the hill. I praised her, and we continued on.

We have had a huge amount of rain, snow, sleet, you name it over the past few weeks, so it wasn't a surprise to find water in some of the trails reminding me very much of very small creek beds. In one such place I decided Terra was going to walk right through it. Naturally, she thought otherwise. It took six trips through that 20 foot strip of trail before she decided she better walk through the water or we'd be there all day.

Outside of these little minor occurrences, I had a very pleasant ride that was much needed with everything going on in my life, right now. I certainly felt content once we returned to the trailer. Yep, it was just what the doctor ordered.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Sounds like a great day in the saddle! I haven't been on a trail in forever but have been riding around the farm & I'm still taking lessons.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  8:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
Sounds wonderful, Ginger. We spent saturday demolishing the old stalls in a barn and reinforcing the roof. I sure kept thinking about how nice a day it would be for a ride, but I knew this was for a good cause. The horses wil be in their new home sooner than expected if this weather holds! Thanks for sharing!
Regards

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000