Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 desensitizing a horse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WilsSpiritLove
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  3:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit WilsSpiritLove's Homepage Send WilsSpiritLove a Private Message
When you're training, what desensitizing methods do you use. I have a few, but I'm looking for more. Typically I start out by jumping, clapping, and jumping jacks. Then I'll throw a rope over and around a horse, and brush her with a leafy tree branch. The horses I'm training are usually for trail rides. Then I'll move onto throwing a white rag in the horses view, throwing a beach ball at them. Next comes trash-noisy bags and bright plastic bottles. Anything I can find that makes noise or would be distracting. Fallowed by loud noises, a fog horn and simulated tractor backfire. Iíll also rattle a chain, up and down and on the ground like a snake. Then I will sit on the ground and blow a whistle in 1/2 beats. I'll also move around on the ground, lay down, and crawl towards the horse. These are pretty much my methods. If you have any I didn't mention, even just one, please let me know. It's very much appreciated. Thanks!

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  6:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
-open and close umbrella
-barking dogs
-empty soda cans in a plastic grocery sack tied to a long line, dragged past and around the horse, plastic tarp to have the horse step over
-also drag the tarp over the horse and leave it on like a cooler for a few minutes
-same tarp, with person under it, dragging it like a cape
-minibikes or motorcross
-drag a lawn chair with the long line (as if a lawn chair is blown away at a show)
-wear a rain poncho, the cheaper the better

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  7:23:05 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WilsSpiritLove

When you're training, what desensitizing methods do you use. I have a few, but I'm looking for more. Typically I start out by jumping, clapping, and jumping jacks. Then I'll throw a rope over and around a horse, and brush her with a leafy tree branch. The horses I'm training are usually for trail rides. Then I'll move onto throwing a white rag in the horses view, throwing a beach ball at them. Next comes trash-noisy bags and bright plastic bottles. Anything I can find that makes noise or would be distracting. Fallowed by loud noises, a fog horn and simulated tractor backfire. Iíll also rattle a chain, up and down and on the ground like a snake. Then I will sit on the ground and blow a whistle in 1/2 beats. I'll also move around on the ground, lay down, and crawl towards the horse. These are pretty much my methods. If you have any I didn't mention, even just one, please let me know. It's very much appreciated. Thanks!

LOL. I hope if there's a clear line of sight between you and your neighbors, that they know something about horses. ROFL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
What a mental picture! ROFL! Not being mean, just letting my mind picture this!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  02:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
A pile of hoses, walking under and through stuff that is low hanging. Draging things. But also don't forget things like hobbles or just leg leading if you don't want to go into hobbling. Teaching a horse to give to things around his legs can really save your butt if you ever get into a case where you are riding he gets into wire or brush that graps at him. I was very thankful that my SIL's horse was trained for this when my niece was riding him. We were hunting a loose bull and I thought we where past this one old fence. Neither of us could see it any more. Some how I rode my horse right over the top of it without seeing it or her touching it. It was a single barb wire about a foot and a half off the ground. The gelding make it over with his front legs but caught his hind legs with the wire between them. You could hear the wire stretch all up and down the fence line. I told her to freeze and I got off to get them unhook. When it got tight on his leg he just stood there with his leg up in the air. I got her off and she held my mare while I got him out. Then we stepped on the wire and back him off and got my mare back over. It could have been a huge mess if he wouldn't have froze.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Kids on dirt bikes and skateboardss
Go to Top of Page

Reining-addict
Tenderfoot

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Reining-addict's Homepage Send Reining-addict a Private Message
You can teach the horse to walk over a plastic carpet or maybe an old mattress.

It's really great that you're teaching the horses so many things!
Go to Top of Page

Demander
Tenderfoot

3 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  12:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Demander's Homepage Send Demander a Private Message
It might be helpful to have another rider with you who tries to toss something to you. I was out on a ride with a group when it began to pour and another rider tried to toss me a rain poncho. My horse went balistic. Now I do training to include those kinds of situations. Even having another horse, too close is an issue and should be worked on.

Let's Ride.
Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  8:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Here's an odd one for you...

Introduce your horse to as many farm animals as possible!

Like llamas for instance--anyone who rides in the mountains here in Wyoming or Montana knows what I'm talking about!

Just was at an equine conference in Bozeman, MT where the main back country professor, Sandy Gagnon mentioned that they keep pigs at the MSU farm area by their horses. He says that since pigs have similar mannerisms to bears--their horses are never spooked by the bears they meet in the mountains.

"This woman's place is in the saddle"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000