Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 HAA Members
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Do ya'll know that Flooper is going to by a new trailer.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  9:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I heard that he's already got one picked out....

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
ROFLOL!!!

Actually...I am going to stretch it out. I don't want to buy too fast and have all the fun be done. I"m guessing in the next 3 months, I will "seriously consider" just about every used trailer for sale in America. The shopping is half the fun...I don't wanna buy too early!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Maybe we ought to start another help group regarding trailer envy????

Sbower

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
ROFLMAO!! Sign me up SBower!!
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I could be a charter member...sign me up!! Does anyone else think driving the truck, hooking up the trailer, loading the horses, pulling the trailer on long trips down the road, etc. is almost as much fun as the riding part?

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/11/2006 12:40:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  05:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Know what you mean. Took two mares to be bred to South Point Ohio, about 500 miles one way, across border, two trips, one to take them down, one to get them and bring them back. Two long days of driving, by myself, better than a vacation ( almost )

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  7:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

I could be a charter member...sign me up!! Does anyone else think driving the truck, hooking up the trailer, loading the horses, pulling the trailer on long trips down the road, etc. is almost as much fun as the riding part?

No......it must be a GUY thing!

I absolutely HATE pulling a trailer; keep imagining all the horrible things that can happen, & by the time I arrive wherever I'm going, I'm almost too stressed out to ride! The only thing worse than the actual drive, IMO, is the hassle of getting everything ready and loaded...oh, my!!!

EZ2SPOT

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  7:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Amen, EZ. It MUST be a guy thing!
something about a big truck & trailer.....
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I'm with you, EZ, and beccajane....it has to be a guy thing...I pretty much white-knuckle it the whole time! And after my trainer's experience on the way to the DE ride last summer.....yowza...I don't look forward to hills and twisty roads at all!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  11:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
I don't know about the guy thing. My hubby growup in the city. He will not drive when we are hauling horses. He makes me do it and then he sits in the passenger seat and drives me nuts. YOUR GOING TOO SLOW. YOUR GOING TOO FAST. TAKE IT EASY ON THE TURNS. ECT ECT ECT! I have to tell him "If your not going to drive then be quiet" I don't know if it is the hauling that stresses me out or the backseat driver. But we usually get there safe and sound.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Have never hauled a trailor...but day I do, will test drive a couple weeks to learn how before putting in horses for sure, and maybe get some lessons. Nice little horse park with arena 1 1/2 miles away (a city one, can you imagine????)and have it all planned out that would be my first haul...not too far away so if they didn't load, I'd be either leading or riding horses home instead of driving!!!!

Geez, got enough problems trying to back up the dang garden tractor with the little trailer full of manure bags.....I'm hoping it is easier with a horse trailor
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  1:07:26 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I must be the exception to the rule. I don't mind hauling my horses down the road at all... and I'm a woman! Of course I've been hauling horses for over 35 years, too. Would that make a difference?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Bones...some trailers are easier to back than others. A big part of it depends on how far back from your vehicle the trailers wheels are...the closer they are, the quicker the trailer responds and the quicker you can screw things up...and the harder it is to keep it straight because the trailer responds very quicky to even the slightest turn of the steering wheel. I had no problems backing our 28' camper...I could back that thing straight up the yard and up against the side of the garage with just 6 inches of space between the trailer and the garage, but this little goofball 2 horse bumper pull I've got gives me fits...It's only 10' long, and it seems like if I breathe on the steering wheel when backing, the darn thing starts jacknifing!! I'm hoping the new gooseneck will respond a lot slowera and will be easier to back. Your lawn tractor trailer is probably about as bad as my bumper pull.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Floops, maybe then looking where the wheels are (I'd have to get a BP) would be something to consider?? Most of my truck accidents have been backing it up into something due to blinde (or blonde??) spots behind...

Well here's a silly question for you trailer owners: do they let you do a hauling test drive to see how trailer manages? (New one from dealer or even if buying an old one).
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  2:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I don't mind pulling a trailer either! After so many years of NOT seeing the trailer in my mirrors, I can't get enough of watching it taggin along behind me!

I would NEVER let my hubby pull a horse though. He's just not got the 6th sense horse people have. Poor Joe'd be all over the trailer, up in the manger & plastered against the back door. LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  4:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Floops, maybe then looking where the wheels are (I'd have to get a BP) would be something to consider?? Most of my truck accidents have been backing it up into something due to blinde (or blonde??) spots behind...

Well here's a silly question for you trailer owners: do they let you do a hauling test drive to see how trailer manages? (New one from dealer or even if buying an old one).

Bones...it all has to do with how long the trailer itself is...the longer the trailer, the longer the distance between the trailer wheels and the back wheels of the truck...the longer the distance, the slower the trailer responds to turning of truck...believe it or not, a longer trailer is often easier to back than a shorty (within reason, of course!) Mirrors are real important...if you've got good mirrors and a good spotter (person behind you with a walkie-talking or just yelling) you won't back into things (not too often, anyway). Yes, many trailer places will let you hook up and see how the trailer fits/pulls...mostly the better dealers. Many individuals will also let you hook up trailer and pull it a ways.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, for nervous trailering, though my camper is low profile (unlike a horse trailer), sales manager when I took camper delivery showed me some neat tricks. One is, it's so easy to get confused when backing -- which way to turn wheel. I know you can just say "opposite" but it can still get confusing. He said put hand on BOTTOM of steering wheel, and if you want trailer to go left, swing bottom of wheel to left. (That's just easier to remember.)

As far as backing/turning, he also added to stop short of what you'd be tempted to keep cranking wheel because it's sooo easy to jack knife. Allow more distance in front of tow vehicle than you'd think, then get trailer in a 45-degree angle in your mirror, and keep it there, not to exceed it.

I've been using that as a guide and it never failed yet. I backed up camper into barn (about 2 ft. leeway on each side, maximum) AND very little pull-forward room to correct. Amazingly, I got it in on first try, just using his two tips. This is not a brag, it's a testimonial about those two tips. I was sooo tempted to crank the wheel harder, but restrained myself and sure enough, in like Flynn. Horse trailer is not as long as camper, it's 14 ft. back end to end-of-tongue. Camper is 19 ft. so based on what Flooper said about longer is better sometimes, I may have some surprises. But to me the whole trick was restraint from everything in your head that says crank harder.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  11:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Good tips guys, thanks. Will be trying OTW's tips with the little garden tractor/trailer today....
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  3:26:59 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

I don't mind pulling a trailer either! After so many years of NOT seeing the trailer in my mirrors, I can't get enough of watching it taggin along behind me!

I would NEVER let my hubby pull a horse though. He's just not got the 6th sense horse people have. Poor Joe'd be all over the trailer, up in the manger & plastered against the back door. LOL!

LOL! I know exactly what you mean, PG. My neighbor was asking me about hauling horses with his Dodge Ram. His truck could do it, all right, but he's never hauled a live animal in his life. I've watched him roar up & down our road, and I don't think I'd even want to ride with him when he's not hauling anything, let alone when he is. I'd be a nervous wreck and ready for the looney bin! He's a great guy and neighbor, but he's a nut behind the wheel. So, I told him how you have to slow waaaay down to go around corners and slow down very gradual for stops and start up the same way for starts so you wouldn't throw the horse off his feet. He thought I was joking! When it dawned on him that I was deadly serious, he gave up the idea. Whew!

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

[quote]Originally posted by PaintGal

So, I told him how you have to slow waaaay down to go around corners and slow down very gradual for stops and start up the same way for starts so you wouldn't throw the horse off his feet. He thought I was joking! When it dawned on him that I was deadly serious, he gave up the idea. Whew!

What I'm wondering about is I have ball mount that goes with my camper (it's huge, heavy, has added ball for sway control). That one is straight. Then another that has a bend in it where you can switch ball to top or bottom, depending if you need higher or lower hitch ball for trailer.

Based on my measurements, the latter one would either make the trailer low in front or back. Straight one may be okay. But we're talking a choice of INCHES between possibilities, not an inch or so.

If you can't get a perfectly level horse trailer, which I'm really thinking is uber important... what's least of two evils, horse riding with front a little low or back a little low? Both sound just wrong to me.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
OTW; A level trailer is the ideal, but it's better for the trailer to ride a hair high than low.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

OTW; A level trailer is the ideal, but it's better for the trailer to ride a hair high than low.

I assume you meant a hair high in the front of the trailer.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  9:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Hook the trailer up to the hitch you have. The tongue weight of the trailer will lower the rear of the truck and hence the hitch. Ideally the trailer should be about level and my preference is slightly high at the front of the trailer. The main thing is to make sure that the hitch is not too low . There NEEDS to be weight on the truck hitch for proper handling of the trailer. Check again with the trailer loaded and always, always, always....... check that the hitch is tightened securely EVERY time you stop. Check tires too.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  11:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
And remember, trailer will be heavier when you put horses in, so that will add to tongue weight and settle down the hitch even a bit futher...that's why it's best to adjust empty trailer hitched to truck so it's just slightly high at the front, as Hook said. NEVER load your horses in trailer BEFORE you hitch up...always AFTER. You probably knew that...but just in case...

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  8:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
I don't mind the hauling part, but I hate hooking the trailer up and especially loading it up with all of the trailriding essentials. Love the trip though. There's just something about hauling a horse trailer that makes you feel special! lol

Appygirl

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000