Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Spins... How?lol and sidepassing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
I would like to be able to do spins with Squeaker,it just looks cool she does good 360 deg turns but how do you get them to do it faster?
And another thing I want to learn is sidepassing,or two tracking. I have read many articles about it but all Squeaker does is get confused and she backs up or steps forward. She knows leg pressure,not great,but she understands pretty good.

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:41:06 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I don't know what to tell you about spins, but we went into teaching side passing under the "leg aids" topic in "Horse Training" You might want to check it out.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:41:06 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I don't know what to tell you about spins, but we went into teaching side passing under the "leg aids" topic in "Horse Training" You might want to check it out.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dually
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dually's Homepage Send Dually a Private Message
something to try on the spins...

You wrote that Squeaker does 360 deg. pretty nicely. The key to good spins is getting the horse to want to do it. that means it is a maneuver just like any other: once she gets started into a spin, she should continue to do it until you tell her to do something different.

Try taking up on one rein or the other and walking in a tight circle (as tight as Squeaker will go without actually turning on her hindquarters)What you'll want to do is basically the same thing you do when teaching her to give to the bit. When she gives you give. But continue to walk in that itty bitty circle until Squeaker decides on her own that it would be much easier to plant her pivot foot and cross over in the front. It becomes a reward for her then. Keep at it until she will stay in the spin pretty good--at least two or three revs. Keep in mind that when you're walking in the circle (not spinning) you want to ask for a decent amount of enthusiasm. Don't trot, but keep up a nice working walk. The energy is what tires her into thinking the pivot is her reward and gets some speed in the turnaround.

Once she is pretty efficient at that, begin turning her around and "busting" her out of it and pulling her back in it. This start/stop type manuever encourages her even more to plant her inside pivot foot because that is the leg that she must push off with when you ask her to bust out of the turnaround. That sequence goes something like this: Spin (using outside leg and inside seat bone) Bust (using a light seat and both legs. You may ask her to trot out.) Spin/ Bust/ Spin/ Bust...

Just remember to take it one step at a time. Be careful with the last portion (Spin/Bust etc.) If you need to come back when you're at that point, i'll be happy to explain it in more detail.

Try on the hat, you gotta try on the Cowboy.
Go to Top of Page

Dually
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dually's Homepage Send Dually a Private Message
something to try on the spins...

You wrote that Squeaker does 360 deg. pretty nicely. The key to good spins is getting the horse to want to do it. that means it is a maneuver just like any other: once she gets started into a spin, she should continue to do it until you tell her to do something different.

Try taking up on one rein or the other and walking in a tight circle (as tight as Squeaker will go without actually turning on her hindquarters)What you'll want to do is basically the same thing you do when teaching her to give to the bit. When she gives you give. But continue to walk in that itty bitty circle until Squeaker decides on her own that it would be much easier to plant her pivot foot and cross over in the front. It becomes a reward for her then. Keep at it until she will stay in the spin pretty good--at least two or three revs. Keep in mind that when you're walking in the circle (not spinning) you want to ask for a decent amount of enthusiasm. Don't trot, but keep up a nice working walk. The energy is what tires her into thinking the pivot is her reward and gets some speed in the turnaround.

Once she is pretty efficient at that, begin turning her around and "busting" her out of it and pulling her back in it. This start/stop type manuever encourages her even more to plant her inside pivot foot because that is the leg that she must push off with when you ask her to bust out of the turnaround. That sequence goes something like this: Spin (using outside leg and inside seat bone) Bust (using a light seat and both legs. You may ask her to trot out.) Spin/ Bust/ Spin/ Bust...

Just remember to take it one step at a time. Be careful with the last portion (Spin/Bust etc.) If you need to come back when you're at that point, i'll be happy to explain it in more detail.

Try on the hat, you gotta try on the Cowboy.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Dually;
I like your explanation. I am going to try it with Hook.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Dually;
I like your explanation. I am going to try it with Hook.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  5:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
yes,that makes it sound easier. I will try that,thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  5:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
yes,that makes it sound easier. I will try that,thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:05:53 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Just some friendly advice! Spinning is a pretty awesome sight...However, spinning can be tough on a horses legs. Especially on a horse that may have poor conformation to start with. Don't overdo it. Make sure the ground is loose and dry. Sand is good... Start slow.... be aware that you might get dizzy! There's a good reason why you don't see alot of old reining horses, the spinning and the sliding stops sooner or later take their toll. I don't know a reining horse that isn't getting hock injections, massage and joint supplements!

Dually gave a good explanation on how to start. DO NOT attempt to get any type of speed in the spin until the horse is well balanced and doing the mechanics properly. Trust me, speed will come as the horse becomes more comfortable with the movement. If you push it, at best your going to end up with a horse that dreads it and frustrated rider. At worst you'll get a hurt horse.... . A good trainer may take months to get a good spinning horse, don't rush it.

I also really like the explanation at the following website. I highly recommend having someone watch you or taping your sessions. It can be really hard to know what the horses legs are doing! And don't forget good protective gear. Horses that are first learning to "step over" can gash themselves pretty easily!

http://www.manestreamreining.com/articles/spins.html

Have fun!

By the way, Larry Trocha offers a $9 "Rollbacks and spins" video thats okay, copies show up on ebay too. Just google it.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:05:53 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Just some friendly advice! Spinning is a pretty awesome sight...However, spinning can be tough on a horses legs. Especially on a horse that may have poor conformation to start with. Don't overdo it. Make sure the ground is loose and dry. Sand is good... Start slow.... be aware that you might get dizzy! There's a good reason why you don't see alot of old reining horses, the spinning and the sliding stops sooner or later take their toll. I don't know a reining horse that isn't getting hock injections, massage and joint supplements!

Dually gave a good explanation on how to start. DO NOT attempt to get any type of speed in the spin until the horse is well balanced and doing the mechanics properly. Trust me, speed will come as the horse becomes more comfortable with the movement. If you push it, at best your going to end up with a horse that dreads it and frustrated rider. At worst you'll get a hurt horse.... . A good trainer may take months to get a good spinning horse, don't rush it.

I also really like the explanation at the following website. I highly recommend having someone watch you or taping your sessions. It can be really hard to know what the horses legs are doing! And don't forget good protective gear. Horses that are first learning to "step over" can gash themselves pretty easily!

http://www.manestreamreining.com/articles/spins.html

Have fun!

By the way, Larry Trocha offers a $9 "Rollbacks and spins" video thats okay, copies show up on ebay too. Just google it.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000