Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 SPLINT BOOTS WITH ARTHRITIS???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COuNTrYBuCk
Groomer

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  9:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit COuNTrYBuCk's Homepage Send COuNTrYBuCk a Private Message
Hey! As sad as it is, i just found out my 9 year old hackney QH gelding has arthritis in one knee, and the other one is degenerative...i was wondering if i used splint boots it would make any difference? Or if there would be any type of exercise boot for arthritic knees???

" it's okay...it's normal for him to foam at the mouth! "

qhrider
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit qhrider's Homepage Send qhrider a Private Message
I know this is a late answer, but SPLINT boots would not offer any help I don't believe. Their purpose is for a horse that interferes for on the inside of his leg. They do make neoprene knee braces like those for humans that are supposed to keep the joint warm and gives some support. Exercise and some joint supplements would be your cheapest bet. Hyaluronic acid is the new thing, kind of expensive, but I have been told by a very well known vet and several users of it that it does indeed work. As far as boots, maybe a support boot (SMB) would reduce some impact, but they are mainly for the suspensory support.
Go to Top of Page

qhrider
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit qhrider's Homepage Send qhrider a Private Message
I know this is a late answer, but SPLINT boots would not offer any help I don't believe. Their purpose is for a horse that interferes for on the inside of his leg. They do make neoprene knee braces like those for humans that are supposed to keep the joint warm and gives some support. Exercise and some joint supplements would be your cheapest bet. Hyaluronic acid is the new thing, kind of expensive, but I have been told by a very well known vet and several users of it that it does indeed work. As far as boots, maybe a support boot (SMB) would reduce some impact, but they are mainly for the suspensory support.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  05:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I don't think splint boots would help at all. I would investigate the use of a supplement containing MSM, Chrondroitin Sulphate and Glucosomine. Look at your favourite tack store for supplements designed for joint problems. They come in liquids and powder form. I have used them at various times with good succes on older horses and older dogs. Get enough to last about three months and see if it helps.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  05:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I don't think splint boots would help at all. I would investigate the use of a supplement containing MSM, Chrondroitin Sulphate and Glucosomine. Look at your favourite tack store for supplements designed for joint problems. They come in liquids and powder form. I have used them at various times with good succes on older horses and older dogs. Get enough to last about three months and see if it helps.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I would also add a Vit C supplement with the Chrondroitin and Glucosomine. The three things together help each other work better. Just watch out with the Glucosomine NEVER feed it to a horse with insulin problems(same with humans) because it will spike sugar levels in the system and could kill a horse if feed long enough. I had a vet give me a joint stuff that he designed to try on my IR horse without him thinking about the Gluc. or telling me that it had it and it turned Star into a Dough Girl. I caught it soon enough but she had a rough time there for awhile and nearly foundered again.
Go to Top of Page

tinybarrels
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit tinybarrels's Homepage Send tinybarrels a Private Message
MSM is wonderful ... It reduces inflamation, therefor allowing lubrication of the joints. I have gariatric, preformance horses. They all (& me too) have some sort of arthritic pain. MSN & Magnetic, apparatuses (aka hock boots/knee boots/tendon wraps & pads) keep us going. Magnets, directly on an area, cause circulation. Increased Circulation, causes healing. I you try nothing else .. try MSM .. It works wonders.

<\___~
_//_\\_ Keepin' the Furry Side up & the Metal Side down ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000