Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 New Saddle type?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  10:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
I'm in the market for a new saddle, the stirrups on my old one didn't keep me balanced, too far forward. I'm looking at a couple trail or ranch type saddles and have a couple questions.
- Some of these weigh 40 - 45 lbs, I'm 190, my horse is a 16h QH, is this too heavy? (of course I could stand to shed 10 lbs and make it easier)
- Any opinions on using more of a "vintage" 1890's western style saddle? By this I mean the high cantle, hard seat, but I don't think I want a slick fork.

I guess saddles are a personal thing, but I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

Bud

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  08:01:34 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Bud,

Willie is a big guy! I don't think he would have any problem carrying you and a heavy saddle but the newer saddles designed for trail riding are much lighter. I rode in a barrel saddle for years and loved it but had to get a new saddle for my horse because of his withers. I wound up getting a Tucker with the gel seat and OMG! what a difference in the comfort.

There are several other brands of saddles that offer cushioned seats and are lighter weight than the saddle you're using. Many have high cantles and are designed to keep you in the seat. Chuck can tell you more about specific saddles.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 5y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000