Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 english saddle problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

horsehappy
Tenderfoot

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  11:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit horsehappy's Homepage Send horsehappy a Private Message
A friend and I have differing opinion about english saddle size. We are buying saddles for a program that caters to kids 8-18. I'm 5'5, 116lbs with a 32" inseam. Some people have told me I should be riding in a 17"-17.5'" saddle but my friend is my height, a bit wider though the hips and she says she rides in a 16" and doesn't think we need saddles bigger than a 17". A lot of teenagers are taller and heavier than me, what size english saddles do we need? What size should I be riding in and how small do you think we should go for the little kids?
Thanks a lot.

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
It's been awhile since I've looked at sizes in English saddles, but if you are talking about hunt seat saddles, I believe the average size for an adult is a 16" or 17" seat. I rode a 15" or 16" for years and had no problems with it. At the time I weighed about 105 lbs. I stand about 5' 2" and have around a 30" inseam. I have had larger and taller riders use my hunt seat saddle with no problems when taking lessons from me. I would think a 14" or 15" would more than suffice for smaller children.

If it's possible, see if you can't take a child of the size you think you will have to a tack shop and have them sit in a few to get an idea of size. Maybe one of the larger teenagers, too.

I don't know how much help this might be, but it should give you a rough guide of what to look for. Good luck .
Go to Top of Page

dixiegirl05
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit dixiegirl05's Homepage Send dixiegirl05 a Private Message

I am 13 and have been riding in my forward seat saddle for about 2 years it is a 16. It fits me and my horse great, I am about 5'1" now. My saddle also fits my mom at 5'5".

My western saddle is a 16 and it's a little big, I wish I'd have gotten a 15...........

hope I helped!!!

Erin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000