Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 Saddle Size for Very Tall, Thin Rider?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarabeth
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarabeth's Homepage Send Sarabeth a Private Message
First off, let me say that I know virtually nothing about Western saddles, I ride hunters/dressage, so any advice is appreciated.

My beginner husband is 6'2" and 180 pounds. In his 16-inch saddle, his rear end seems to be pretty tight against the cantle.

Also, his horse has a very smooth trot, but husband bounces around a lot more than I'd expect. He ends up posting. The saddle fits the horse well, and I (5'4") have no trouble sitting the trot in that saddle.

Does it sound like we need to go shopping for a bigger saddle, say 17" seat?

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
It sounds to me like the stirrups might not be long enough. Though the seats are similar as to how you sit, and Western seat takes a lot longer stirrup length than the typical hunt seat.

A good way to check this is to have your husband sit in the western saddle and take his feet out of the stirrups. Let the legs hang relaxed and loose along the sides of the horse. If the stirrups are the proper length, he should be able to lift just the toes of his feet without moving anything else and place them in the stirrups. Too short stirrups will push a rider too far back and up against the cantle. So, the saddle's seat size might not have anything to do with your problem.

From his weight & height, I'd say your husband should be quite comfortable in a 15" seat in a western saddle. This is considered the normal size for the average sized rider and has nothing to do with how tall that rider might be.

I have no idea how experienced a rider your husband is, but you might check the posts in "Beginning Rider" about using an idenpendent seat. I've been explaining how to deepen your seat while sitting the saddle correctly. This exercise is excellent to stop a person from bouncing in the saddle and maintaining a more secure seat.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
It sounds to me like the stirrups might not be long enough. Though the seats are similar as to how you sit, and Western seat takes a lot longer stirrup length than the typical hunt seat.

A good way to check this is to have your husband sit in the western saddle and take his feet out of the stirrups. Let the legs hang relaxed and loose along the sides of the horse. If the stirrups are the proper length, he should be able to lift just the toes of his feet without moving anything else and place them in the stirrups. Too short stirrups will push a rider too far back and up against the cantle. So, the saddle's seat size might not have anything to do with your problem.

From his weight & height, I'd say your husband should be quite comfortable in a 15" seat in a western saddle. This is considered the normal size for the average sized rider and has nothing to do with how tall that rider might be.

I have no idea how experienced a rider your husband is, but you might check the posts in "Beginning Rider" about using an idenpendent seat. I've been explaining how to deepen your seat while sitting the saddle correctly. This exercise is excellent to stop a person from bouncing in the saddle and maintaining a more secure seat.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I'm sure Chuck can advise you on the saddle size but my first thought about the "bouncing" would be that the stirrups are too short. Western riders stirrup length is usually longer than English riders. If he stands up in the saddle, his rear should clear the saddle by a couple of inches.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 5y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 01/31/2005 10:21:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I'm sure Chuck can advise you on the saddle size but my first thought about the "bouncing" would be that the stirrups are too short. Western riders stirrup length is usually longer than English riders. If he stands up in the saddle, his rear should clear the saddle by a couple of inches.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 5y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 01/31/2005 10:21:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
I agree that the stirrups are likely too short.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
I agree that the stirrups are likely too short.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

huggybear
Groomer

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit huggybear's Homepage Send huggybear a Private Message
being 6'4" a 16" saddle does me well
have husband stand beside horse place fingers on end where stirrup strap meets saddle, stirrup should come to his armpit 'ie arms lenght long' try this

huggy

sans dieu rein= WITHOUT GOD NOTHING

"It does not depend on which breed of horse you have on how good they are-
it is the horse themselves that makes that decision"
Go to Top of Page

huggybear
Groomer

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit huggybear's Homepage Send huggybear a Private Message
being 6'4" a 16" saddle does me well
have husband stand beside horse place fingers on end where stirrup strap meets saddle, stirrup should come to his armpit 'ie arms lenght long' try this

huggy

Go to Top of Page

Sarabeth
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarabeth's Homepage Send Sarabeth a Private Message
Thank you all very much. This is all great advice. We will try the finger-to-armpit length measure tonight, adjust and test ride with longer stirrups this Friday at which point we can try the seated tests as well.

I'm glad the saddle size will work. It's a "Crates" and seems well made, it's comfortable and nice-looking as well.

He also needs to go to work on his core strength which will help either way. Desk jobs are definitely not conducive to good riding

Edited by - Sarabeth on 02/01/2005 08:41:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarabeth
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarabeth's Homepage Send Sarabeth a Private Message
Thank you all very much. This is all great advice. We will try the finger-to-armpit length measure tonight, adjust and test ride with longer stirrups this Friday at which point we can try the seated tests as well.

I'm glad the saddle size will work. It's a "Crates" and seems well made, it's comfortable and nice-looking as well.

He also needs to go to work on his core strength which will help either way. Desk jobs are definitely not conducive to good riding

Edited by - Sarabeth on 02/01/2005 08:41:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

huggybear
Groomer

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit huggybear's Homepage Send huggybear a Private Message
Sarabeth

how's it coming with the long lanky hubby and his stirrups ??

huggybear

Go to Top of Page

huggybear
Groomer

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit huggybear's Homepage Send huggybear a Private Message
Sarabeth

how's it coming with the long lanky hubby and his stirrups ??

huggybear

Go to Top of Page

goldie
Beginning Rider

133 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  9:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit goldie's Homepage Send goldie a Private Message
My trainer just commented at my last lesson that I had a little too much bounce at the trot and instructed me to use my ankles more as shock absorbers. i.e. loosen up my ankles, get them more flexible.
Go to Top of Page

goldie
Beginning Rider

133 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  9:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit goldie's Homepage Send goldie a Private Message
My trainer just commented at my last lesson that I had a little too much bounce at the trot and instructed me to use my ankles more as shock absorbers. i.e. loosen up my ankles, get them more flexible.
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
I am 5'3 115LBS, I want a barrel saddle and everyone I've asked suggests a 14 inch seat. Does that sound about right? I have a Wintec western trail saddle with a 15.5 seat and I feel like I am swimming in it. My paint stallion doesn't have high withers but decent and not a wide back like some "Bulldog" Quarter Horses, so what size barrel saddle should I go with. Gullet size etc??

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  2:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:
I am 5'3 115LBS, I want a barrel saddle and everyone I've asked suggests a 14 inch seat. Does that sound about right? I have a Wintec western trail saddle with a 15.5 seat and I feel like I am swimming in it. My paint stallion doesn't have high withers but decent and not a wide back like some "Bulldog" Quarter Horses, so what size barrel saddle should I go with. Gullet size etc??

I would normally recommend a 15" seat for you, but you are close enough that if a 14" is comfortable, it should work well. 5'2" is usually the height cut-off for stirrup adjustments on a 15" saddle.

It sounds as your horse would take the regular tree with a 6.5" gullet.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Now that it's been mentioned, what does PaintHorses think of Wintec's western saddle? I heard nothing but great things about their AP, Dressage and Close Contact saddles (all English) but haven't heard much about their western saddle.

Also, Chuck if you're reading this, what's your opinion in general about ralide trees?
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:
Also, Chuck if you're reading this, what's your opinion in general about ralide trees?
Carol

I like them. They make for lightweight saddles and are strong enough for barrel racing and pleasure/trail riding. I wouldn't put too much stress on the horn by pulling logs off trails or such but if I were to buy a pleasure saddle and didn't have the money for a flex tree, I would buy the Ralide tree. My daughter's saddle has the Ralide tree in it.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  4:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Now that it's been mentioned, what does PaintHorses think of Wintec's western saddle? I heard nothing but great things about their AP, Dressage and Close Contact saddles (all English) but haven't heard much about their western saddle.

I like the Wintec western saddle, I've had mine for 2 years and it is very comfortable to ride. I've had several friends offer to buy it after using it, I wouldn't sell so they went and got one themselves. I just want a barrel saddle due to the higher cantle with the back problem I have, it gives me more support. If you ever get a chance to ride a Wintec western I am sure you'd like it.

Carol

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  10:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

quote:

I would normally recommend a 15" seat for you, but you are close enough that if a 14" is comfortable, it should work well. 5'2" is usually the height cut-off for stirrup adjustments on a 15" saddle.

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  10:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

quote:

So you would suggest a regular tree instead of semi QH bars or full bars? my stallion is medium back size. As far as the saddle seat size, a friend has a barrel saddle that she said she thinks is a 14 -14.5 and it was great. My Wintec makes me flop too much, and I can't get a good grip because my feet don't set right in the stirrups and there is too much room between my legs and the swell. And they are as far as they will go I believe. Thanks Chuck!

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000