Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Tattoos
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  1:37:51 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
For awhile I have been pondering on getting a tattoo....something horse related. I have finally decided on the 'perfect' tatt, a head and neck shot of Hi-Grey; however, I don't know how the 'white' would show up on my skin. Any tattoo-savvy folk on the board who might be able to advise?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
No idea...this nurse is needle phobic...though I can stick them in anyone/anything without problems!

One word of caution: some people days to years down the line can have a systemic/allergic reaction to the ink/checmicals used in the dyes. Once it is in you...there it stays. Certain colors of ink more prone to problems. Not trying to talk you out of a tattoo, for most part harmless, but may want to read this: http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic512.htm

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  1:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
I was thinking of getting a big ol' hoof print on my backside, in honor of Max. The one he gave me has now faded.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  2:24:04 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
Appygirl

Don't know what a tattoo costs nor have any desire to have one. How about a nice oil paintng or favorite photo framed of Hi-Grey. They won't fade like tattoos do over time and can be passed down to family members as keepsakes.

Termite
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  2:31:32 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Good suggestion, Termite; won't be nearly as painful either! lol

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  2:37:44 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Fractured, now that was an intersting bit of reading. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to get the tatt. I've been talking about it for years, and it's taken me this long just to come up with what I wanted the pic to be. lol

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
Alot of how well white shows up depends on your skin tone and how it will hold ink. I have 5 myself and white can be a problem, if you get out in the sun alot or have a certain skin type/tone white will fade and look pretty crappy. If you can get something with more color I would advise it. A good reputable tattoo shop can help you with color choices, be sure to take a pic of what you want and they can come as close as possible I am sure.

Good Luck!

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  9:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I want a tattoo. A celtic knot on my lower back. I just haven't gotten the right design for what I want. It's about half finished but I'm altering it just a little so until it's what I want it's not going on my back! I have another knot pattern I did that would look neat as an arm band but I don't know if I want one there.
Go to Top of Page

NoahsArk
Advanced Rider

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  10:06:11 PM  Show Profile Send NoahsArk a Private Message
I have two tattoos, but no white ink in them. I have been wanting another one, horse related also. I had thought about two horse heads looking at each other with their manes flowing out behind them for a lower back tat. Dont know though.......maybe.

Melissa
Rock-A-Way Pete: 1985-2006 My best partner.....I love you Pete!
O-Hi's Mountain Maggie: the new girl in town.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  05:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
No Tattoos for me thanks. Must be too old fashioned. I just don't like the idea of putting dyes into my body. Course it's right up there with my other old fashioned stuff like no body piercing.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  09:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
I regret all but one of mine, I have 5. I have 2 on my right leg, on the ankle and upper thigh, small ones but still there. And the one I regret the MOST is near my collar bone, if I wear a tank top or nice summer dress it shows a little. If I had it to do all over again I'd get one on my lower back and that is ALL I'd have. But the surgery to remove them is more painful, and expensive than the tat, so unfortunately I'm stuck with them lol. Live and Learn I guess

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

No Tattoos for me thanks. Must be too old fashioned. I just don't like the idea of putting dyes into my body. Course it's right up there with my other old fashioned stuff like no body piercing.

I'm with you, Hook, on this one. I figured God made my body this way for a reason, so I will never put anything there that doesn't belong there by nature unless my life is on the line. Heck, I don't even have pierced ears!

I also agree with Termite. If you want a nice pic of your horse, hire an artist and have an oil done to hang on the wall. Not only that, but it's a whole lot safer than fooling around with your body just for decorative purposes.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

goingaited
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  1:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit goingaited's Homepage Send goingaited a Private Message
Hey Appygirl,

I have one tattoo on my upper back, and have been thinking about a second one. I had my first one done on my 18th birthday (my sign of rebellion, I guess), but I still don't regret it. I work in a law office, and it's in a place where my business attire covers it completely.

I wouldn't recommend a tattoo that primarily uses white dye. Have you considered a black/gray tattoo, using shading instead of other colors? If you have a picture of your horse that you really love, a good artist can recreate that image using shading with grays and blacks. Something to think about.

Good luck, and if you end up getting one, be sure to post some pics!!
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Thanks, goingaited, I'll keep that in mind. If I get one, it will be placed in an out-of-site spot as well. A friend of mind recommended his tattoo artist, who uses state-of-the-art equipment and has great artistic ability. He's also a little pricey, but I guess you have to pay for his expertise.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  1:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
The only Tattoo I've ever liked is the one who used to say "De plane! De plane!"

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Boots
Beginning Rider

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  2:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boots's Homepage Send Boots a Private Message
No tatoos for me. I'm with Hook & RH.

Plus, when I imagine what the tatoo's would look like on me when (God willing) I'm really old, like 70....haha, just kidding.... late 80's...90's...it's scary. Besides, can 'ya just picture the guys at the funeral home? The tat's would be all shrivled up, and they'd probably be trying to figure out what they were supposed to be, and saying "what were they thinking?".

Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. Ė Ben Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
LOL!!
My 13 y/o dtr. went to some school function where they had someone doing Henna tatoos! They look like the real thing. I didn't figure it was a big deal, they wash off. Was surprised at a school sanctioned deal though. Her dad had an absolute coronary and she received a 2 hour lecture over it! Heck, he used to get palpitations over the Halloween one day types when they were in 2nd grade! My other dtr was a Biker Babe one Halloween, we fake tatooed the daylights out of her arms...also got a phone call from him on that one when he saw the picture!!!

My girls will be tatoo-free until the child support ends at 18...gotta keep the ex in good health until then!!

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  2:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boots
The tat's would be all shrivled up, and they'd probably be trying to figure out what they were supposed to be".

Boy howdy ain't that the truth!! hehehehehe

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 03/03/2006 2:38:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

goingaited
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  4:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit goingaited's Homepage Send goingaited a Private Message
Well Boots, by that age, EVERYTHING may be shriveled beyond recognition.

Seriously though, life is too short to worry about the "what ifs". Take life as it comes, and don't be afraid to take some risks.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Just a dumb question. Why would one go to all the trouble to get a tattoo then hide it /cover it up? Why would one have a tatto on her lower back. Carry a mirror around, unbutton those blouses that button up the back and look at your self? Just can't figure that out:)

I think I'll just wear my cowboy hat and western boots to town. Think I'll skip the spurs and jingle-bobs though:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  10:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Aw, c'mon Hook....I always wear my western spurs into the grocery store! hehehe It's especially fun when I've been cleaning stalls! lol Love to see those arm-charm women turn their little surgically-enhanced noses up!

Although I don't have an opinion either way on tattoos, I am too tight with my money to spend it there. Or my priorities are different....

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

Edited by - Saddletramp on 03/04/2006 10:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000