Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Horse Owners... HUH???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  07:31:21 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, I was looking at a saddle on eBay and wrote the seller with some questions. I told him I knew I had MIS-measured my gullet (I got 8 inches, lol) so asked a question about that for size. I also asked the saddle's weight, and he first wrote "somewhere in the 30 lb. area, or thereabouts." Mine is 35 lbs. and too heavy. I want to be just at (maximum) or preferably under 30 lbs. so needed him to weigh it. I also asked about tree size. And I also asked if the fender leather was stiff or whether there was any contact feel with the horse (looked like it could be either). This was over the course of two email exchanges when his original answers were hopelessly vague.

Here's what he wrote back since obviously he didn't have the answers. However... would you join me in prayer for this man's horses???

"Hi as to your questions. the saddle is with in your weight of 30 lbs or so. and if your using a 8 inc gullet saddle you must have a big horse. Quarter horse bars don't realy matter do you think back in the day a cowboy carried ten saddles to fit his string of horses.NO straight from Dusty Johnsons book, and mouth.They used what they had.Today is more stuck on making money then what should be. The horse doesn't know the diff. thats why there are blankets.Close contact, well yes, it is, and where they came up with that is bull. Thats where the seat size comes in. sorry if I'm opinioniated but thats me . after being around horses all my life well happy bidding. Thanks jerry."

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I think I'd pass on that one....cuz, sure enough, when you'd get the saddle, it won't fit your horse, but he will insist that it does! Saves him from having to return your money! lol

His theory is a very, very old cowboy theory, or at least sounds like it. However, things tend to improve over time, and modern saddlemakers are more than happy to offer different size trees to fit different horses. I believe that most of us also have more of a financial and emotional investment in our horses than old time cowboys did, thus we want them to be healthy, fit and sound...and ridden in a saddle that fits.

If sizing is strictly a financial boon for saddlemakers, I'm happy to give them my money in order to get a saddle that fits my horse. Why would I want a cranky horse in a cheap saddle that doesn't fit, when I can make a bit more of an investment, and have a happier horse in the long run. And I do mean long run, a well-made, well-fitting saddle, if taken care of can last a very long time.

IMO, I'd never purchase a saddle from eBay...and I am not an eBay-ophobe. I'm very comfortable purchasing off of eBay and we have several wonderful large ticket items to show for it. But in the case of saddles, the no-name saddles with low prices from sellers like this guy are to be passed on.

Have you looked at the saddles that Chuck carries? In most cases, he offers free shipping, AND has a return policy! Tack stores local to me, and few in number, did not even carry the saddle that I wanted, and similar saddles were several hundreds of dollars more than Chuck's prices.

But many kudos to you for doing your homework, and keeping your horse's comfort and well-being in mind! Good luck in your search!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

Edited by - Saddletramp on 02/27/2006 08:10:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
I've looked at and asked sellers countless questions about saddles. One woman who had sold dozens of the same saddles couldn't give me the skirt length, gullet size or ANYTHING. Not to mention her answers would come 3 days later and be 2 or 3 words. Checked her feedback and almost everyone complained of her communication skills. I asked the same questions to others and over half didn't even know how to get those measurements! and asked ME to tell them how to measure and how can you tell if it's full QH bars, Semi or Regular. PULEEZE! these folks don't need to be selling saddles on eBay let alone anywhere else. I have been on eBay quite a while and NEVER saw anything like this, but I thought what the heck, see what kind there were since I am looking for a barrel saddle. I can tell you I will NEVER bid on one from eBay

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletramp

I think I'd pass on that one....cuz, sure enough, when you'd get the saddle, it won't fit your horse, but he will insist that it does! Saves him from having to return your money! lol

His theory is a very, very old cowboy theory, or at least sounds like it. However, things tend to improve over time, and modern saddlemakers are more than happy to offer different size trees to fit different horses. I believe that most of us also have more of a financial and emotional investment in our horses than old time cowboys did, thus we want them to be healthy, fit and sound...and ridden in a saddle that fits.

If sizing is strictly a financial boon for saddlemakers, I'm happy to give them my money in order to get a saddle that fits my horse. Why would I want a cranky horse in a cheap saddle that doesn't fit, when I can make a bit more of an investment, and have a happier horse in the long run. And I do mean long run, a well-made, well-fitting saddle, if taken care of can last a very long time.

IMO, I'd never purchase a saddle from eBay...and I am not an eBay-ophobe. I'm very comfortable purchasing off of eBay and we have several wonderful large ticket items to show for it. But in the case of saddles, the no-name saddles with low prices from sellers like this guy are to be passed on.

Have you looked at the saddles that Chuck carries? In most cases, he offers free shipping, AND has a return policy! Tack stores local to me, and few in number, did not even carry the saddle that I wanted, and similar saddles were several hundreds of dollars more than Chuck's prices.

But many kudos to you for doing your homework, and keeping your horse's comfort and well-being in mind! Good luck in your search!

Yes, I have. I've been on and off Chuck's website a lot. I looked at Big Horns yesterday (tack shop 1/2 hour away) and wasn't impressed with them. I'm curious about Fabtron. The tack store owner turned her nose up at them and said they were "kissing cousin" to Abetta (same quality, etc.) however I also heard they are very decent saddles. I have a borrowed Western saddle that Farrier looked over carefully on my horse and said it fits her pretty well. However, it's very heavy and while the friend who's loaning it to me doesn't anticipate having a riding horse anytime soon, if she ran across one or retired one of her race horses to riding, then that could mean not much notice. I do not feel secure in my Wintec AP saddle for trail riding. (Call it my inexperience?) Would like deep seat, comfortable (I found Big Horns hard and unyielding) but not too heavy, and reasonably priced. In other words, I don't want much, do I now? LOL. Every now and then I see a used, but very nice leather saddle on eBay, so ask about it. So I'm learning. I don't want to ply Chuck with mindless questions until I have a little better idea what I want.

I am curious about Fabtrons though. Had never heard of them before. I hesitate to put much stock in a store owner's negative opinion of something she doesn't sell. I guess I'm at the point where I know enough of what I want to be annoying, but don't know enough to really KNOW what I want.

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
That guy has the mentality of several people I've encountered along the way. Ever hear an old cowboy tell you that one true sign of a well-broke horse is the white hairs on its withers? Love the guy saying "that's why there are blankets"; well, if you have an ill-fitting pair of shoes, what happens when you add more socks?

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a saddle from Ebay. I've known two people who have and each got stung from a very bad deal.

When I'm in the market for a new saddle I'm going to buy mine from Chuck.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
Here is a link to a saddle that was sold on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1890S-SA-MABRY-WACO-TEXAS-WESTERN-SADDLE_W0QQitemZ7724021058QQcategoryZ4016QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bet Chuck wouldn't mind selling a couple of these.

Termite
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Termite

http://cgi.ebay.com/1890S-SA-MABRY-WACO-TEXAS-WESTERN-SADDLE_W0QQitemZ7724021058QQcategoryZ4016QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Termite

Ya know, Termite; I don't know if they were collector's items, but I saw several saddles in the used tack shop at the "Saddle Shop", that were probably in just about that shape... though I doubt if they were ever put up for sale. I think they were in what I'd term the reject pile. LOL!

Just so everyone knows, the "Saddle Shop" stocks a nice array of used saddles as well as new ones. Chuck & Dale run a top notch operation.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Termite

Termite

Hey Termite...didn't you used to ride with the guy who was the original owner of that saddle?

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Wow, amazing what that saddle sold for!!! Termite, how much did you originally pay for it?

OTW, I have an Abetta I bought for the kids. Kind of hard to get used to the plastic stirrups (!) but you can always change them out. Can't weigh more than 12 lbs. or so....and sure is easy to heft around. You get accostumed to it, that what is considered a lt. wt. full leather saddle seems like it weighs a ton when you go back to one!! I have heard good things about Big Horn and Fabtron.
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
Bones it wasn't my saddle.

Flooper not quite that old but close.

Termite
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Termite, was my attempt at a joke from Floopers comment[:o)
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
"Love the guy saying "that's why there are blankets"; well, if you have an ill-fitting pair of shoes, what happens when you add more socks?"

I used that same idea with a woman that always has poor fitting saddles on her horse. One was an Aussie that clearly didn't fit because it was too up right in the angle and she had a really thick pad under it so it just rolled on the back. I tried explaining it to her and it didn't work so I gave the same "if you had shoes that where too tight would you add another pair of socks" Her answer was "I like my shoes loose enough to be able to where two pairs of sock."....okay no matter how many times I said that wasn't what I was asking she answered it the same way. She just doesn't get that it's going to work to add more padding. I don't feel bad though a vet tried to explain it too and it did no good. I do feel bad for the horses.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

That guy has the mentality of several people I've encountered along the way. Ever hear an old cowboy tell you that one true sign of a well-broke horse is the white hairs on its withers? Love the guy saying "that's why there are blankets"; well, if you have an ill-fitting pair of shoes, what happens when you add more socks?

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a saddle from Ebay. I've known two people who have and each got stung from a very bad deal.

When I'm in the market for a new saddle I'm going to buy mine from Chuck.

Well, there was a saddle I'm really sorry I didn't bid on. I came close, but was concerned about seat size, weight, and something that wouldn't have mattered as I later learned. LOVE the look of it!

Dumb, dumb, dumb, I coulda sold it locally if it hadn't worked out. I have no idea what the high bidder's proxy limit was, but this is what it sold for. Kicking myself, actually.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220292182&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fcgiurl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252F%26fkr%3D1%26from%3DR8%26satitle%3D7220292182%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1#ebayphotohosting

Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
OTW, what dont you like about your Wintec AP? The reason I ask, is I am planning to buy one in the next week or two. I have an old Abetta that I have had for 10+ years and it is still in one piece.....LOL It was cheap, comfortable, fit my horse......and lasted this long! I like the looks of the Wintec more than the Abetta. I dont have much money to spend on a saddle and I like the light weight of the synthetics.

Only problem I had with my Abetta was slipping. I was using a fleece pad for years before switching to a non-slip waffle style reinsman pad. Fixed the problem.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  12:09:19 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dixiesmom

OTW, what dont you like about your Wintec AP? The reason I ask, is I am planning to buy one in the next week or two. I have an old Abetta that I have had for 10+ years and it is still in one piece.....LOL It was cheap, comfortable, fit my horse......and lasted this long! I like the looks of the Wintec more than the Abetta. I dont have much money to spend on a saddle and I like the light weight of the synthetics.

Only problem I had with my Abetta was slipping. I was using a fleece pad for years before switching to a non-slip waffle style reinsman pad. Fixed the problem.

The Wintec AP is an English saddle. If that's what you're referring to, I like it fine! Mine is a Wintec 500 AP, and it does what I bought it to do (try English without a big investment and have less "saddle" to contend with for certain things.) I've heard nothing but good things about Wintec's English saddles. Several people, no relation to one another, have said they really like the Wintec English saddles, but not their Western.

Now, let me qualify that. 99% of the people around these parts ride English. And I haven't met the ones who don't yet since trail riding season ended just about the time I got Cloud. Some of the people who said that don't even ride Western, and the one who does has an issue against ralide trees on any kind of western saddle. (Oddly enough, they don't bother him on English.) In fact with him, Circle Y (maybe it's TexTan) is good if it came from one state, but "worthless" if it came from another state. Yadda yadda. And I know so little about saddles in general that I inherited prejudices that may well be based on nothing except... prejudices. I'm trying to get over that because it's interfering with my being open to some saddles that are probably just fine, and I may end up loving one of them.

So whatever I said on Wintec Westerns, ignore it. I'm actually considering the very real possibility that for some reason English riders are simply more open to synthetics, whereas Western riders are resistant.

If you sit on a Wintec Western and it feels right to your body, and you try it on your horse and everything fits there and there are no durability issues (which I haven't heard of) then hey, sounds good to me!

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Buying saddles on Ebay is okay if you know the make and model you are looking for and know how it fits your horse.

Mt Tex-Flex barrel saddle was purchased on E-Bay. There are certainly reputable dealers selling new saddles. Just make sure you know what you are doing and if you buy a cheaper unknown brand, good luck. Unless you are into saddle collecting as a hobby:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:59:01 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Termite, now that would have been a great saddle to own for a historical conversation piece. Wow! they got a great price for it, too.

A riding friend of mine loves to buy and ride with the big, heavy, and thick Mexican saddles (the kind with the huge horn). I feel so badly for his horses to have to carry that. My friend is into the 'cowboy' look and I guess saddles like that fit his imagined persona better.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  7:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I agree with Hook, if you know what you want, and if you know a certain model or brand of saddle will fit your horse, nothing wrong with trying e-bay. One of my saddles was purchased that way...my favorite saddle, in fact. But I knew what model I wanted, and was also familar with the dealer.

One thing I've seen on e-bay is people advertising saddles to be one model, when in fact, it is another. I think it is just ignorance, not really trying to cheat anyone, but some of these people just don't know what they are selling.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
The comment made about cautious bidding on ebay for saddles is what I talked about earlier. A woman had sold so many of the same saddle but she wouldn't respond to ANY of my questions about gullet size, weight and skirt length or bars. She told me she would have to find out from Saddlemaker?? I asked if she had the saddles in her possession or was selling them for some shop, and NO response. How can you NOT know what these things are after selling so many? I saw her feedback and I even went so far as to ask another buyer who got the same one I was bidding on what it was like. He couldn't tell me anything other than it fit his 14 hand and 16 hand QH fine. Like that's suppose to tell me anything for fitting my horse? I've seen some nice ones but I'll pass on saddles on eBay but I've bought headstalls from other sellers and they are very well made and GORGEOUS. I did finally find a barrel saddle from a friend of mine, and the drop dead gorgeous registered bay QH gelding to go with it LOL.

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000