Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 New Horse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  1:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message

Hi Everyone
Haven't been around a lot lately very busy but wanted to let you all know I am getting ANOTHER horse. Once it starts its hard to stop
You will all think I am crazy but it is a stallion! Actually the stud that our Appy is bred to! He is a 10 year old Foundation bred Quarter horse. He is Dun and its looking like he may be homozygous for Dun--I may have him tested. The current owner and I have become friends and she just bought her son a very expensive show gelding and him and the stud do not like each other at all, and she doesn't have the room to seperate them so.................she is giving me the stud but then she will still have the option to breed her mares to him.She likes him a lot and although there have been some people that want to buy him she wants to know he is going to be cared for, so asked if I would want him. He is very gentle for a stud, nevertheless I wouldn't be getting him except our lesson girl(who also trains) is going to work with him and actually show him! When I get him home(at this very minute my husband is fencing in an area for him) I will take some pics of him to post!!
I am very excited

Dorthy Brown

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  1:28:18 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
WOW! Congrats!

Just be really careful around him. It doesn't matter how gentle he is, he's got testosterone pumping through his veins. That stuff makes males STOOPID. :;):

Hurry up with the pics!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Congratulatons Dodi...good to hear from you again. Can't believe you're getting a stallion!!! You're gonna need a bigger barn pretty soon.

And don't listen to Paintgal...that testrotroeseterone stuff do too don't makes us dum and stewpid...As a male, I know what I can do, and I know what I can don't.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
No wonder you haven't been on the forum Dorothy!! Congrats, and yep, need pics in a hurry!!

Have met mild mannered stallions but after reading the story about a guy who turned his back on his sweetie pie stallion only to have a reverse Broke Back Mountain experience ....I keep in mind...programmed to breed and not descriminate about it!!

LOL Flooper!
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  3:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
oh yeah I know thought about it ALOT before deciding we would take him, and again I would have said no if the trainer wouldn't have wanted to train and use him! He is a gentle boy though, her 7 year old son once this summer went into the pasture and climbed up on his back!!! He didn't do anything but she said when she looked out the kitchen window and saw that she almost had a stroke!!!
I have read and heard many horror stories also and I personally won't be handling him much but I will be having the trainer work with me with him too--so I CAN handle him if I need to ................

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

Boots
Beginning Rider

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  4:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boots's Homepage Send Boots a Private Message
Congrats, dodi. We've had a number of stallions...of varying breeds. Ours were very well behaved...even those that didn't come to us with manners. You have to stay one step ahead of them...they are SO aware of what's going on around them....vigilent....checking to see what horses are comin' and goin'. We always kept our stallions up front, so they could see everything that was going on at our place. That way, we didn't have a fret problem or bad stall habits. Kids could ride ours too, but as with any horse...it's safety first! Someone told a friend of ours that in order to control a stallion, you had to beat him. Our friend said that we didn't do that kind of thing, and the guy said we had to have done it behind closed doors, no one could own stallions and keep them mannered without beating them. Shows how much he knows!!

Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. Ben Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  8:03:29 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
Wow!
Congrats!
Thats great!

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  05:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Hi Dolib;
Welome back. Sounds like you are about to get into the horse business in a BIG way. Have Stud horse, have mares = more babies, they are so hard to resist.
Lot's of extra precaution with a stud, individual turn-out, extra secure stalls, extra careful when riding with others. You are in for some new experiences for sure. don't forget to post a picture.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Congrates on the horse.

They can't test for the dun gene yet. What are his bloodlines. I love the foundations and dun is just a great plus. My mare is bred to Sweet Iron Dun It who is a son of Genuine Dun It. It should be a nice little reining horse out of this stud and my mare. Of course I'm hoping for a Dun and a filly. But I know that Dunit isn't homoz. for dun he has two dun parents but has had one non dun foal so he isn't.
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
Hmmmmmmmm I was told on a color forum that they could test for the Dun gene. Last year he sired 7 foals all were either Dun or grulla. He only has 4 foals that will be born this spring so we'll see what they turn out to be. His sire is Docs Rerun out of Docs Prescription and Regers Penny. His dam is Miss Five Bucks who is out of Poco Bertie and Raider Five. His Dam is Leos Dun Royal, out of Eli Leo Rude, who is out of Pawnee Jayjay and Jay Dee Leo Rude. And Ladys Revolution who is out of Sun Bar Revolution and Huskers Lady El
Tried to put in fence poles this weekend of course with windchill it was down to like -25 so didn't go so well the ground is way too frozen now and even with a gas powered post hole digger couldn't dig holes so now we have to hope for some warmer weather..............

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Last time I had a test ran(about 8 months ago I think) they didn't have the dun gene. They did have the creme gene which is the newest that they can test for. Many thing it's the same gene that causes dun and buckskin but it isn't. I'll double check that. Given that all are dun or grulla you might want to go with a red factor test to see if he is homoz. black unless one parent is red based. He isn't homoz. Agouti because of the grulla foals.
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  08:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
Yeah I may get him tested for the black. Both of his parents are also Dun. He has many many Duns in his pedigree................
Here is a pic of him: was able to get it from his old owner--he isn't home yet. Not the greatest picture of him and I know I need to get him muscled up but here he is

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  5:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Stormie's right...there is no DNA test yet for the dun gene you just have to give it your best guess. Look for the dorsal stripe (ALL duns have it!) Additionally, most have a number of typical markings that are called factors (leg barring, a darker face mask, dark ear tips)

Then look at ALL of his foals From non dun mares if he has produced ALL dun colored foals then it is very likely that he is a homozygous Dun, however if he has had even one non dun foal then he is NOT a homozygous dun and you will have a 50% chance of a dun foal. You have to eliminate all dun foals that were produced by Dun factor mare because the dun foal could have gotten the Dun gene from the mare. Hope this is easy to follow!!!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  5:19:28 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
quote:

And don't listen to Paintgal...that testrotroeseterone stuff do too don't makes us dum and stewpid...As a male, I know what I can do, and I know what I can don't.

Hmmm...I don't know about that! Just recently got a flyer for some "mens" classes...what do you think?

WINTER CLASSES FOR MEN AT THE LEARNING CENTER FOR ADULTS

REGISTRATION MUST BE COMPLETED BY Monday, January 9th, 2006

NOTE: DUE TO THE COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY LEVEL OF THEIR CONTENTS, CLASS SIZES WILL BE LIMITED TO 8 PARTICIPANTS MAXIMUM.

Class 1
How To Fill Up The Ice Cube Trays
Step by Step, with Slide Presentation.
Meets 4 weeks, Monday and Wednesday for 2 hours beginning at 7:00 PM.

Class 2
The Toilet Paper Roll - Does It Change Itself?
Round Table Discussion.
Meets 2 weeks, Saturday 12:00 for 2 hours.

Class 3
Is It Possible To Urinate Using The Technique Of Lifting The Seat and Avoiding The Floor, Walls and Nearby Bathtub?
Group Practice.
Meets 4 weeks, Saturday 10:00 PM for 2 hours.

Class 4
Fundamental Differences Between The Laundry Hamper and The Floor
Pictures and Explanatory Graphics.
Meets Saturdays at 2:00 PM for 3 weeks.

Class 5
After Dinner Dishes - Can they levitate and fly into the kitchen sink?
Examples on video.
Meets 4 weeks, Tuesday and Thursday for 2 hours beginning at 7:00 PM

Class 6
Loss Of Identity - Losing The Remote To Your Significant Other.
Help Line Support and Support Groups.
Meets 4 Weeks, Friday and Sunday 7:00 PM

Class 7
Learning How To Find Things - Starting With Looking In The Right Places And Not Turning The House Upside Down While Screaming.
Open Forum
Monday at 8:00 PM, 2 hours.

Class 8
Health Watch - Bringing Her Flowers Is Not Harmful To Your Health.
Graphics and Audio Tapes.
Three nights: Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 7:00 PM for 2 hours.

Class 9
Real Men Ask For Directions When Lost - Real Life Testimonials.
Tuesdays at 6:00 PM, location to be determined.

Class 10
Is It Genetically Impossible To Sit Quietly While She Parallel Parks?
Driving Simulations.
4 weeks, Saturday's noon, 2 hours.

Class 11
Learning to Live - Basic Differences Between Mother and Wife.
Online Classes and role-playing .
Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, location to be determined

Class 12
How to be the Ideal Shopping Companion
Relaxation Exercises, Meditation and Breathing Techniques.
Meets 4 weeks, Tuesday and Thursday for 2 hours beginning at 7:00 PM.

Class 13
How to Fight Cerebral Atrophy - Remembering Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Important Dates and Calling When You're Going To Be Late.
Cerebral Shock Therapy Sessions and Full Lobotomies Offered.
Three nights; Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 7:00 PM for 2 hours.

Class 14
The Stove/Oven - What It Is and How It Is Used.
Live Demonstration.
Tuesdays at 6:00 PM, location to be determined.

Upon completion of any of the above courses, diplomas will be issued to the survivors.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
ROFLOL!! I have seen that before and it just cracks me up!!! Sorry guys....you have to admit it's HILARIOUS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
THE RULES

You've all heard the rules from the female perspective: Now, here's the rules from the male's perspective.

**NOTE** These rules are all numbered '1' on purpose...

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl - if it's up, put it down. You can handle it. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday equals s-p-o-r-t-s. It's like the full moon. Let it be.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. let us be clear on this one: subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work. Obvious hints do not work. So just say it!

1. 'Yes' and 'No' are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every
question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is in admissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two different ways, and one of those ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, then just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during
commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we.

1. All men see in only 16 colours, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a colour. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say 'nothing', we will act like
nothing's wrong. We know you're lying, but it's just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you're prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation or monster trucks.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. 'Round' is a shape.

1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight, but did you know that men really don't mind that? It's like camping!

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  3:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
S. Bower, too funny! And Hook, Touche!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I apologize to dolib for not sticking to her original topic. I am interested in how the new horse adjusts to new owners and surroundings.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
Thats ok I got a good laugh!!
Putting in new fencing is going very slow!! It got down to -5 last weekend and -30 with windchill so the ground is so frozen that even with a gas powered posthole digger we can't make any more holes!! I even tried to rent one for the tractor and the place said they wouldn't because the ground is too frozen and it will wreck it!! So we are hoping this next week we can get the fence done and bring him home a week from tomorrow!! Its up to about 30 and has been above freezing since so my fingers are crossed!! I dont' want all my mare pregnant so we need to get the fence in place first

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000