Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Difficult decision
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  7:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Well, I have been thinking about this long and hard for a couple weeks now, and I am 99% sure I am going to sell Dixie. There are several reasons for this decision, and to make a long story short, I just dont have the strength, skill, time, patience, or money to continue Dixie's training. I am noticing lately that I just dont have a strength or stamina that I did before my treatments and I dont see my treatments ending any time soon. My skills for finishing her training are basically non-existant and I was planning to send her to a prof. trainer for 30-60 days but cannot afford it now. I dont have the time to go to the barn like I would like to, since going to treatments, Dr. appointments and not feeling good some of the days. My patience has taken a vacation I think and I find myself wanting to just saddle up Pete and take the easy road instead of working with Dixie. I get too frustrated now it seems. And last but not least, I just cannot afford two horses. I was up all night last night bawling trying to think of a way out of this dilemma, but health and money are winning out. There is no way I could ever sell Pete, so he is here to stay. I have had him for over 10 years and he has taken good care of me, and I need him to continue taking good care of me. I just need to be spending quality, relaxing time at the barn enjoying myself and I havent been doing that lately. Dixie is showing the signs of not being worked enough, and is just a young filly who needs someone who can finish her training. She reared up on the lead line last night and is just getting beligerent (terrible two's) and wanting to do what SHE wants to do and not what I ask. It's not her fault, she is just a baby that is not being worked with enough. I hope you all understand my decision. Thanks for letting me talk about it, it's been a difficult one to make.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  8:38:56 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
Wow that is a difficult decision.
I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm sure its for the best then.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  11:12:07 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Melissa,

I'm sorry that you've been put into this position and I know that you haven't made the decision lightly. If it makes you feel any better, I agree with your reasoning and feel you're doing the right thing for you and for Dixie.

You need to focus on your health and enjoy riding when you can. You don't need the stress of worrying about training Dixie. I think everyone here understands why you're selling her.

I know that it doesn't make it any easier though. (((HUGS)))

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Melissa,

I'm sorry that you've been put into this position and I know that you haven't made the decision lightly. If it makes you feel any better, I agree with your reasoning and feel you're doing the right thing for you and for Dixie.

You need to focus on your health and enjoy riding when you can. You don't need the stress of worrying about training Dixie. I think everyone here understands why you're selling her.

I know that it doesn't make it any easier though. (((HUGS)))

Could NOT have said it better myself, though I tried last night. Thanks PG, I have a feeling your words express those of many people here. Melissa, please add more ((((HUGS))) from me too!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Oh, Melissa, I'm so, so sorry. I can easily relate, because I'm praying that I won't have to let go of one or both of my horses down the line, too, because of my husband's medical problems. The tears I'm shedding are for you, right now, but as PG has already said, I, too, feel you are making the right decision.

May Pete console your sorrow, my friend. I was told by another dear friend of mine that when troubles like these come your way that God wants you to draw closer to Him. Let God enter your heart, and give you faith and love through these trying times.

You are not alone, and we are all here for you whenever you need us... and I'm adding my <<HUGS>> to everyone elses.

My best to you, my friend.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  8:18:34 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
AWwwwww. (((hugs))) from me too... but two year olds are difficult no matter what and really need training and consistent handling. I think that you are making the right decision not only for yourself... but for Dixie too. And who knows, can't tell you how many times that a horse has boomeranged back to the owner a few years later!

Riding often is "therapy" and it should make you feel good and joyous, not guilty because you aren't doing "your best" by Dixie. Whatever you decide, we will be there to cheer you up!

Hoping that this coming week brings you good news.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  9:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Hey Melissa.
My heart goes out to you. Seems like you have made a well thought out decision. I am thinking that fate may have sent Red back to you to help you through your time of need.
I wish you the best over the nxt week but I am also confident that you will deal with whatever comes with strength and determination to do your very best. The folks at the forum will be with you all the way.

Sending special healing vibrations your way.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Boy oh boy..what a tough decision! But I, too, feel like it's the right one, even though it tears you up. You need your strength for YOU right now. Enjoy Pete right now...ever thought that's WHY he ended up back with you? The Lord does work in mysterious ways. Keep the faith and trust that He knows what you need. Hang in there....I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and may He keep you in the palm of his hand.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  12:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Hug dittos.....It's actually a very un-selfish thing to do ....getting the best for your horse. You need to de-stress, don't be so hard on yourself. My heart goes out to you.
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  5:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beccajane

Boy oh boy..what a tough decision! But I, too, feel like it's the right one, even though it tears you up. You need your strength for YOU right now. Enjoy Pete right now...ever thought that's WHY he ended up back with you? The Lord does work in mysterious ways. Keep the faith and trust that He knows what you need. Hang in there....I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and may He keep you in the palm of his hand.

I was thinking the same thing. Pete came back for a reason. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, it has been hell trying to make the right decision. I went out and rode Pete today, and it felt like old times.

Had my Pet Scan today, but wont know results till probably Wed.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  5:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
It's always hard deciding to let go of an animal...but you are doing the right thing. You'll enjoy your time with Pete more, and Dixie will have the opportunity to learn the things she needs to know to become an even better horse. Who knows...maybe down the road you'll get back together again. I know several people who sold a horse and then a few years down the road ended up buying it back again! Hugs and prayers!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  5:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Ditto what everyone else has said!! It can't be easy to part with Dixie, but sounds like it's the best thing all around, and that Pete is just what you need right now!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
I'm so sorry you had to make this decision, this must have been really hard for you. You need to do what is best for you now. I also have a filly 23 months now that i have been training and know how difficult they can be. I'm sure with whatever decision you come to it will be the right one.
Go to Top of Page

Boots
Beginning Rider

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  10:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boots's Homepage Send Boots a Private Message
It's sad that you're having to part with Dixie. With everything you've got going on, you need to take care of YOU. Pete sounds like he'll be the balm for your soul.

Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. Ben Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  07:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
As hard as it feels, it sounds like you will be doing the right thing for Dixie. Even under the very best of circumstances, a two-year old is a huge undertaking. Right now, you have to focus on yourself and your health and there is no reason to feel guilt over that.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
{{{{HUGS}}}} to you, Melissa. I know the decision you made was a tough one, but I do believe it is the best one for you. I'm glad Pete is there for you and that you have that special bond with him. When you have weathered your health battles and are once again full of 'vim and vigor' there will be other horses out there.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000