Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Need Circle Y Saddle Info~UPDATE: PICTURES
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Turf Ranch
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  3:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Red Turf Ranch's Homepage Send Red Turf Ranch a Private Message
Hi, this looks like a great forum and I'm glad I found it...I have a used Circle Y saddle that I need some information about, it's a shorter serial number than I have seen with some of the CY saddles so I'm not sure how to decipher the info from it...can someone give me a hand?

The serial number is:2905058503 and it also says 12 equitation.

I would appreciate any and all help in getting the info out of this one!

Here are some pictures, hope you can help!

Gail

Edited by - Red Turf Ranch on 01/22/2006 3:51:57 PM

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Welcome to the forum. I am sure that Chuck will have an answer for you.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:
Welcome to the forum. I am sure that Chuck will have an answer for you.

Ummmm... not really. The serial number does not make any sense to me. Do you know about how old the saddle is? When all else fails, Circle Y does publish their phone number in their catalog at http://www.circley.com/catalog2.shtml

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Turf Ranch
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Red Turf Ranch's Homepage Send Red Turf Ranch a Private Message
I'm not sure of the age, I've had it for about 7 years...my husband bought it used for me from a local tack dealer, it came with a matching single ear headstall and split reins. It's a dark oil with floral tooling and silver plates on the pommel and also the braided silver in the back of the seat. I have double and triple checked the number and I'm stumped by it as well that is why I thought I'd pick your brain about it...

Gail
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Perhaps a picture or two would help.

TO POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM
· Open an account at http://photobucket.com
· Click BROWSE on the add pictures screen and upload your picture from your hard drive. This make take some time depending on the size of your picture file
· When the upload is complete right click on the third line down titled “img” then COPY. With my computer I don’t have to highlight, when I right click all of the required file info is highlighted
· Now go to your post on the forum and put the curser where you want the picture.
· Right click, PASTE and you are done.
· Good idea to use preview on forum to check size of the picture. If it is too large go back to photobucket and use the edit function to reduce the size.

Good luck.
o would help.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 01/22/2006 07:18:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  5:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
I wonder if someone used a metal number stamp kit to alter the ser.#.
What do you think Chuck, could they have added a number to the front or back. Maybe even over stamping a "3" to look like a "8".
If you dropped the first or last, maybe even both would they make sense then. With this saddle being a used one I guess there could be a long story behind it.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  6:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
GiddyUp- Love a good mystery!

All of the above could be feasible maybe, but there's not even a set of #s in there that look to be the seat size...? I was trying (before seeing pics) to make the "12 Equitation" become the seat size and style....a youth equitation. I'm also thinking that we wouldn't want to drop the "2" at the beginning because that # should be the saddle's pricing level...9 would be too high. There also seems to not be any numbers that would correspond to Circle Y's current color stock.

Sooooo I'm not much help either...but when I saw the pics, the first thing that came to mind was that it looks like a comfie saddle! How about it, Red Turf? How does it ride?

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  6:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
My guess is that it was made in the early 1970s and well cared for since.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Well after looking at Chuck's sticky my theory ain't to good cause there are not enough numbers there to start with.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  7:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
We went through this on another board and someone asked Circle Y. They were told that the numbers have changed a lot over the years so some don't look like Circle Y numbers. He said that some did not have the color or the seat size listed as part of the number and others didn't have some of the other numbers. They haven't been putting the tree number on for very long either. How true all of that is I don't know but out of around 20 saddles we where looking at numbers it looked pretty true. The saddles over 8-10 years all had really mixed up numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Red Turf Ranch
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  8:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Red Turf Ranch's Homepage Send Red Turf Ranch a Private Message
Isn't a good mystery a lot of fun? It's a nice comfy saddle for 'putting' around with, but we do a LOT of trails (that's all we do) and so it's not a good all day saddle, it's not padded enough and it doesn't offer a lot of support for the rear. I am going to sell it, but thought I'd try to 'sleuth' out some info on it for advertising purposes. I have always tried to take good care of it. Anyone have any idea what it's worth?

Gail
Go to Top of Page

Red Turf Ranch
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Red Turf Ranch's Homepage Send Red Turf Ranch a Private Message
Okay folks, I called Circle Y directly, (LOVE those Texas accents) and got the skinney on my saddle...It's from 1985, and was called "The West Coast Softee", it's a 15" with a rawlide tree, and lined jockeys. It has semi QH bars and drop D rigging. 12" gullet and 4" cantle. He said they didn't make a full QH bars back then. He said the "12 equitation" was just the department it was made in, so that has nothing to do with size, etc. He also said if it's in good condition it's worth a fair amount. Most all of that we all probably knew, but the rest was all a mystery.

So, there you go and thanks for everyone's imput and help!

Happy Trails!

Gail
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Turf Ranch

12" gullet and 4" cantle. He said they didn't make a full QH bars back then. Most all of that we all probably knew, but the rest was all a mystery.

So, there you go and thanks for everyone's imput and help!

Happy Trails!

Gail

Not that I'm disbelieving what you were told....but a 12" gullet sounds HUGE! rofl

Glad to hear that you got some answers...and solved part of the mystery! Thanks for the follow-up info, it's always good to hear the rest of the story.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Saddletramp

I have heard everthing from 3" to 14" gullets. It all depends on how they measure it. Some have some....creative ways of measuring saddles.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  06:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Circle Y does not have any 12" gullet saddles - as there really is no such thing, unless you are speaking of an elephant saddle. The 12" refers to the swell.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000