Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 trying to fit a western saddle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mells
Tenderfoot

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  5:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mells's Homepage Send mells a Private Message
hi,
could some one help me with some information and instructions how to fit a western saddle and which type would be best?
i live in the uk and would like to purchase a western saddle when i come to las vegas next month.
the horse: he is a Welsh section D cob type. 15.1/2hh
i am 5foot nothing and weigh 109 pounds. my inside leg is approx 28-29 inches. i am petite. and not much rear.

would a youths barrel saddle be the best bet. i am looking to stay put in the saddle and to aid my bad back. so a snug fit would be good, and something i could hang on to at the front to keep me in place in a canter gallop, he is like a spring,
would you suggest a different saddle.
i would prefer a soft seat option.

please help.

best regards
mells

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Hi mells. I would initially recommend a 14" Barrel Saddle for you. Are you looking for a particular brand or a price range? About how much does your Welsh weigh?

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

mells
Tenderfoot

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  04:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit mells's Homepage Send mells a Private Message
hi chuck,
not really looking for any particulart brand (wouldnt know one from the other any way, only know what are the best brands in uk for english saddles.)

initially i dont want ot pay out fortunes, as it is an experiment to see if i can be more deep seated and snug without bouncing around too much-and helps my back.therefore, i dont want it to cost too much-if it doesnt work out i'm not out of pocket too much with the dollar so good against the english pound.

so what type of saddle would have me deep seated and a nice snug fit without feeling bouncy and sloppy in the saddle, and i need something to hang on to while i learn how to ride western style.

thanks
mells
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
I would recommend a Dakota Barrel saddle such as the dk300 at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/custom-barrel-racing-saddle.html

You can order the 14" by calling 1-866-880-2121

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

mells
Tenderfoot

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit mells's Homepage Send mells a Private Message
hi chuck,

thanks once again for the info.
i have viewed saddle on the link, could you tell me what regular and full QH bars are and what you think i would need??
do you suggest a second choice of saddle, or do you think this one is my best bet??!!

the next thing i would need, would be a girth/cinch. and bridle and reins?
that should be slightly easier than measuring up the saddle part of things?
i hope!!!!
can you assist?

cheers

best regards
mells
Go to Top of Page

mymeka
Groomer

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mymeka's Homepage Send mymeka a Private Message
Chuck,

Since you are so helpful on this board, and I am SO new, could you kindly help me . . .

I have a short-backed Missouri Fox Trotter, ride western pleasure trail riding, and am considering the following saddles:

Bob Marshall treeless saddle - Basic Trail Rider

Eli Miller - Lite-weight Buena-Vista

Orth-Flex (used) Mobedda

I weight 150 pounds, am 5' 7" and have measured my upper thigh to be 25". The Mobedda saddle (the one I really LOVE) is 16" seat size. Do you think that would be comfortable for my size?

Thank you so much, in advance.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Lori,

I don't have any "hands on" knowledge of those saddles and am sorry but cant help much.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mymeka

Chuck,

Since you are so helpful on this board, and I am SO new, could you kindly help me . . .

I have a short-backed Missouri Fox Trotter, ride western pleasure trail riding, and am considering the following saddles:

Orth-Flex (used) Mobedda

I weight 150 pounds, am 5' 7" and have measured my upper thigh to be 25". The Mobedda saddle (the one I really LOVE) is 16" seat size. Do you think that would be comfortable for my size?

Lori

I am not Chuck, but do own 3 Ortho-Flex saddles, though not that model. My Caliente and Trail Pardner have 16" seats and fit me just fine. The Renegade has a 15 1/2" seat, and also is a good fit. I am 5' 4", and weigh 150 lbs.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

mymeka
Groomer

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit mymeka's Homepage Send mymeka a Private Message
EZ2SPOT,

Thank you kindly for your response. Any information is useful. I am considering purchasing the Mobedda saddle used, however, have reservation that it may be too long for my short-backed horse. Do you think this would be the case, or is 26" panel length GOOD for a short-backed horse?

If I get the saddle and it doesn't fit, I am stuck selling it on my own in Pennsylvania (it would be shipped from far, far away!) and the woman who is selling it for her sister does not have the serial number/tag on the back of the saddle - her sister took it off to put on a silver decorative emblem apparently.

Is this a smart purchase ($1,100.)?

Thanks!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  5:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Just my two cents, mymeka....I could find a heck of a NEW saddle for what you are willing to spend on a used saddle.....now whether or not it would be suitable for your MFT, I can't say. Probably like comparing apples to oranges....

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

~~~~~~

Edited by - Saddletramp on 04/19/2005 5:30:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  6:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Lori,

I just went out & measured the panels on my Caliente, the smallest Ortho-Flex I have, and they are 27 inches. They are short enough that the saddle fits my 14.2 hand mare; she is very narrow and also short-backed.

As for whether it is worth it, depends upon what kind of shape the saddle is in...and keep in mind that people seem to either love Ortho-Flex saddles or hate them. I do not like to use anything else on my horse. But if you have any doubts, are there any dealers near you who might let you try one out?

Went to a trail clinic a year and a half ago, and one lady had to opt out because she couldn't keep her saddle on her horse. Seems like we would go a few yards out on the trail, & her saddle would start to slide. She was practically crying. I asked her if she would like to try my Ortho-Flex on her horse, & she said no. She later e-mailed me & asked to try one that I had for sale. I let her take it, and she bought it, saying it was the ONLY saddle that had fit. And she had bought a total of 4 saddles for this one horse, trying to find a fit.

Yes, though, as Saddletramp says, you could buy a really nice new conventional saddle for that price. I can only tell you what I have found from my own experience.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

mymeka
Groomer

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit mymeka's Homepage Send mymeka a Private Message
Unfortunately, I've measured my Missouri Fox Trotter's back from wither to end of back (before loin) and she is 25 1/2" so the Ortho-Flex Mobedda saddle (at 26") was TOO long and would cut into her loin.

The only saddles I've found that MAY be short enough are the Eli Miller and Brenda Imus saddles.

From what I understand, if I go with a rounded back Arab-type saddle, they tend to be narrow, and my mare is wide. True?

Thanks again!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  11:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
I have some saddles with skirt lengths of 25" or less and wide tree at http://tinyurl.com/932f3

You can play around with our tool at http://www.dailyequine.com/Expert/askexpert.asp

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

Di
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  08:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Di's Homepage Send Di a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mymeka

Chuck,

Orth-Flex (used) Mobedda

Lori

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000