Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Neat find on tarp/awning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  7:58:58 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message

And the gizmo search continues to be fun.

I've been flirting with Kelty's "Noah's Tarp" for a week or two. What I've been looking for is...

1. WaterPROOF. Not water "resistant."
2. Easy setup. Hopefully one I can set up myself.
3. Won't drive me nuts with flapping noise in wind.
4. Minimized chance of blowing down in wind.
5. Small storage and ideally lightweight.

Noah's Tarp comes in 3 sizes. 9, 12 and 16-foot. See it on www.kelty.com for photo and click on "Setup Instructions" to get a better idea. I contacted the company and pinned them down on water "resistence" vs. water "Proof." He said it is definitely waterPROOF.

Weighs a couple of ounces, packs small for a tarp.

Because of its "cantenary" cut (a/k/a "scalloped"), the backpacking reviews I read on these said the thing sets up quite taut, does not blow down in winds, kept them very dry on a super rainy night all night, was easy setup and extremely versatile with limitless different ways to configure it depending on sun direction at various times of day, winds, and your desire for privacy as it changes according to what you're doing.

Prices: These vary all over the moon. I've priced them in a lot of places, and shipping can getcha on any online purchase. (Always beware of shipping.) I found an eBay auction where he has six, 2006 model, brand new, 12-foot size. He's selling them under what the stores have it at, and shipping is reasonable ($7.25). Seller's auction says do the seams if using in rain, and I asked because I thought it was waterproof. He said it is, but if pouring down rain, he'd treat any tarp to be sure. He has it priced about $12 cheaper than others also. He also has a photo of one of the many configurations other than the one shown on all websites where he's only using one pole. I think imagination is your only limit on ways to configure it.

I don't recall the math formula for getting a diagonal measurement on a square, but that's likely the length of your covering. As close as I can figure it, the 12-foot will give you a 17-foot diagonal length of shade covering, the 9-foot would give you about 13 ft. That's if it's flat on the ground. Raised, I think the shade area increases, at least it does with my desk lamp as "sun" and a piece of paper curved.

I think this is a very versatile, good quality unit. Anyone more experienced at tenting invited to add opinions. Just looks to me like an xlnt. all around versatile shade thing.

Poles do NOT come with any of them. You would need two poles OR a tree (see instructions found above). That auction number is 8777197770. There are four left.

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:52:43 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
The water-proofing would be nice; but I would say the jury is still out for me with it being wind-resistant. Perhaps if it is set up as in the diagram; however, it would be somewhat difficult getting horses under it set up in that fashion. You would have to set it up straight out with a slight angle to allow water run-off. The poles we have used for our canopys are the aluminum electric conduit piping. I may call Dick's Sporting Goods and price them to see if it is affordable. Thanks for sharing the info.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:09:18 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

The water-proofing would be nice; but I would say the jury is still out for me with it being wind-resistant. Perhaps if it is set up as in the diagram; however, it would be somewhat difficult getting horses under it set up in that fashion. You would have to set it up straight out with a slight angle to allow water run-off. The poles we have used for our canopys are the aluminum electric conduit piping. I may call Dick's Sporting Goods and price them to see if it is affordable. Thanks for sharing the info.

I should have been more specific, I wasn't really thinking of this as a horse canopy, but a human one, for shade over picnic table or even to sleep under. I would love it if Kelty website had a page of diagrams of the various ways people set these up, but from the reviews I've read, you can configure it for just about any conditions. I think because it's meant to handle being dipped low on one or more sides without pulling, that's likely true. One guy wrote that he had it up in howling winds and it stayed anchored just fine -- again, unfortunately he didn't hint how he had it configured.

For the straight (square) setup so maybe there's only one side dipped a bit for rain run-off, it would seem you'd need trees or else more than just 4 poles because there would be no center pole. Not sure it's meant for that as much as for putting most of the stress on the two diagonals. A seam runs along one diagonal.

Please explain more about these poles you have... "aluminum electric conduit piping"?? Are these something you bought as tent poles, or are these some ingeniuous use you are making of some other intended item? I've been looking at tent poles and they seem expensive and as though there are zillions of types. Kelty's are $40 each!!! Sheeesh.
Thanks,
Carol
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:31:11 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Ahhhhh, my bad, for human use you could tie it down in such a configuration.

Yes, the aluminum conduit pipes are used for tent poles and are very cost effective, just a few dollars. You can probably get 6 of them for $20. You hammer one of the ends in to fit through the tarp's riveted "eyes". Buy your anchor string/rope, bring along a hammer/mallet and you're in business.

We had once used for our canopy one of those gray tarps and stands intended for use as a carport; however, strong tornadic winds came through camp one night and turned that setup into a pretzel. Now we just do the hillbilly canopy....a blue tarp tied to the trailer and our conduit pipes. lol But, it works!

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Just a thought OTW,
If you are not useing both side of trailer for the horse (shade)
You can get away with a tarp, ropes over to the offside of the trailer, tarp starts on the roof, and extends out to poles, then guy ropes to the ground.
would sorta look like an rv awning.
depends on you're trailer too, and if you have spots to tie too.

To keep rain from pooling, put a long stick, with something soft or round on the end, up in the middle of it.(so it doesnt poke a hole)

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
We don't do a pole in the middle, rather tie a string in the middle eyelet and angle it down. We have tied between two trailers before and it works very well.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000