Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Frequency of breeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3B_Lady
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit 3B_Lady's Homepage Send 3B_Lady a Private Message

I have recently acquired three broodmares that are due to foal this spring or early summer. I would like to know what your opinions are regarding how often a mare should be bred. Is there a standard "wait period" after foaling before she should be bred again? Obviously, I am new at this and don't want to make any mistakes that could harm our mares! Any information would be appreciated.

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
I guess it would all depend on how many years you want to be raising babies. If you breed your mares like the TB farms do here in KY, they'll be barefoot and pregnant every year. They are generally bred again on their foal heat or the one next occurring.

If I had a small time breeding operation I'd rotate my mares' pregnancies leaving one mare open every third year (i.e., breed two consecutive years and leave open on the 3rd). You don't want to leave a mare open for multiple years because then you could have a problem having her catch.

Keep in mind the age and general health of your mare. Have your mare evaluated by a vet prior to breeding her.

Enjoy those babies and don't forget to post some pics of the newborns. ;o)

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
Appygirl is right. If your mare is in good health there is nothing wrong with breeding her back in her foal heat, 9 day window after foaling the first one or the following heat, they come in every 18 days so just monitor her cycles. Small operations like mine I do that with my broodmare, she just turned 5 and is an easy breeder. If you want to keep a bunch of babies around thats cool..just remember the expense! lol. Mine is due anytime now and I already have a nice Buckskin stallion in line for her foal heat breeding. After this I'll probably give her time off until I get my other new mare. Good luck with those babies, and I LOVE to see new babies if you post pics. I'll be doing the same when mine foals.

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page

3B_Lady
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3B_Lady's Homepage Send 3B_Lady a Private Message
Thank you for the information. I really like the idea of rotating the preganacies. I had already suggested to my husband that the oldest of the mares should get a break! She's also the only one we can actually ride at the present time. The other two were green broke about seven years ago and are quite skiddish. We are definitely going to be small time breeders. Hoping to build a reputation for quality horses and sell the colts when they're ready. The mares are registered with APHA so we will definitely have guidelines to follow. We have a ten acre mini ranch with about 7 acres for pastures and corrals. We bought our broodmares from the Two M ranch in Quinlan, Texas when the owner had a dispersal sale. One of them is 18 yrs old and the other two are 9 years old. They are all in excellent health and have been very well kept and cared for. We plan to continue with their care as he did. My husband was a horseman many years ago in Arizona so he isn't as new to this as I am. He just wasn't around broodmares very much. We just recently retired and moved to Point, Texas. I discovered this forum by accident, but have a feeling I will be using it quite frequently as I've noticed so many of you have great expertise and knowledge! I will be sure to post the pictures of our babies and I look forward to seeing yours!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  4:16:18 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I can't add much to the topic but wanted to welcome you to the forum!

We'd love to see pics of your mares now!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

3B_Lady
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3B_Lady's Homepage Send 3B_Lady a Private Message

Thank you for the nice welcome! And I would love to post pics of the mares, but don't know how yet. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  5:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 3B_Lady

Thank you for the nice welcome! And I would love to post pics of the mares, but don't know how yet. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forum.
TO POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM
· Open an account at http://photobucket.com
· Click BROWSE on the add pictures screen and upload your picture from your hard drive. This make take some time depending on the size of your picture file
· When the upload is complete right click on the third line down titled “img” then COPY. With my computer I don’t have to highlight, when I right click all of the required file info is highlighted
· Now go to your post on the forum and put the cursor where you want the picture.
· Right click, PASTE and you are done.
· Good idea to use preview on forum to check size of the picture. If it is too large go back to photobucket and use the edit function to reduce the size.

Good luck

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  8:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 3B_Lady

Thank you for the information. I really like the idea of rotating the preganacies. I had already suggested to my husband that the oldest of the mares should get a break! She's also the only one we can actually ride at the present time. The other two were green broke about seven years ago and are quite skiddish. We are definitely going to be small time breeders. Hoping to build a reputation for quality horses and sell the colts when they're ready. The mares are registered with APHA so we will definitely have guidelines to follow. We have a ten acre mini ranch with about 7 acres for pastures and corrals. We bought our broodmares from the Two M ranch in Quinlan, Texas when the owner had a dispersal sale. One of them is 18 yrs old and the other two are 9 years old. They are all in excellent health and have been very well kept and cared for. We plan to continue with their care as he did. My husband was a horseman many years ago in Arizona so he isn't as new to this as I am. He just wasn't around broodmares very much. We just recently retired and moved to Point, Texas. I discovered this forum by accident, but have a feeling I will be using it quite frequently as I've noticed so many of you have great expertise and knowledge! I will be sure to post the pictures of our babies and I look forward to seeing yours!

One problem is that to extend the breeding life of older mares common wisdom is that if you don't breed them every year they may quit ovulating. Something to keep in mind with your older mare.

Might also be wise to make sure you keep in touch with the market in your area. Most areas are having problem selling foals for any profit and in some cases selling at a loss because it is too expensive to look after them while holding out for the markets to improve.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  02:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
There is some benefit for not rebreeding on the foal heat. For one it takes time for the mares body to recoup from foaling. You want her uterus to be back in shape and ready to support the new foal. This takes longer then the few days that it takes the mare to come into the foal heat. You also have less chance of the mare getting and staying bred because of that. The only real benefits for breeding on the foal heat it to get an earlier foal or to give you one extra chance to get her in foal before breeding season is over.

Many vets will tell you that well it is okay to bred on the foaling heat it is better to wait if you can. It ups the chances of her taking, ups the chances of her staying bred and is easier on her system.

How often you should bred a mare depends on a lot of things and best one is the market. Its sucks right now even for good horses. If there is not a large market for this foals then don't over breed. But if you have people knocking your door down, buying up the foals as they hit the ground or before they do, then the 2 yrs on one year off is a good system. BUT that also depends on the mare. Don't plan on breeding that way. Go on what the mare's system says. Make sure she is breeding sound before you breed. You might find that some of your mares need more time off then others.

As for not breeding older mares....start with a good vet check after she foals this year. Make sure everything is in working order. Talk it over with the vet, with a good record of her breeding history. Many buyers fail to get a good record on the mares when they buy them but this record is a good tool for decided how to handle the mare, to figure out when she takes, foals, what signs she shows. Some mares have a history of not taking well and knowing that a head of time is helpful. My mare that is bred right now was born when her dam was 23. Her half brother was born when the dam was 21 and their half sister was born when the mare was 8 or 9 so that is a huge length of time and it was no problem for this mare. She was found to be breeding sound and took on the first breeding with both of the last two foals.

The mare's health plays a big factor. It's much harder to get a mare to take when she has health problems.
Go to Top of Page

3B_Lady
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  12:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3B_Lady's Homepage Send 3B_Lady a Private Message
That's a very good point about having the mares' past foaling history. That's something I didn't get from the previous owner. I am definitely going to contact him now and see what info I can get from him. We have pretty much decided to skip this year for sure because we are just beginning and don't want to get more than we can afford to feed and care for for a couple of years. And that will also give us time to see if the market changes in the near future or not. We're seeing a lot of horses at auction versus outright sales. That is, of course, not what we would want to have to do! These mares have good bloodlines and were bred to quality stallions so we're hoping they will be bought by someone who appreciates their lineage. But, we have a lot to learn and appreciate all of your knowledge and expertise!! Thanks so much!

3B Lady

Always speak to your horse as you would a gentleman.
Be kind, be gentle, be patient.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  10:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Mrs. Hook recommends the book "The Complete Book of Foaling" by Karen E N Hayes DVM MS as an excellent book for anyone who has mare that are going to foal. Has great detail for preparations and what to do if a problem develops.

Also "Blessed are the Broodmares" would also be useful.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

3B_Lady
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  01:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 3B_Lady's Homepage Send 3B_Lady a Private Message

As promised, here are our three mares. Sorry if these pics are too big, but I'm new at Photo Bucket..... The pics were taken about a month after we brought them home. The blue roan, named Blue, is the old lady (18 yrs.) The two sorrels, Beauty and Blondie, are 9 yrs old. We can't wait to see the babies! Blue and Blondie were exposed to a black overo and Beauty was exposed to a bay overo.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  05:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Nice horses. Guess you didn't have to worry about the pictures too BIG:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:26:26 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Very nice mares. Can't wait to see the baby pics; bet they'll be colorful!

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

PaintHorses
Beginning Rider

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit PaintHorses's Homepage Send PaintHorses a Private Message
Going to try this one more time adding the pics of my mare and stallions, accidently hit paste twice without getting the other photo...sorry early in the morning and not enough coffee lol.

Dixidoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000