Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Tragic Accident -WEAR YOUR HELMET
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  05:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
My neighbour about 5 miles away had a very tragic accident. She gave lessons for some extra money but last Wednesday when her student arrived she was found dead in the riding arena. The details are sketchy but apparently her lesson horse some how banged her in the head and she died as result. Her husband has said that if she was wearing a helmet she would still be alive.

Things can happen fast and we can't be too careful. I debated with myself for a while before posting of this because I didn't want to post about such a sensitive issue but if it helps us all to be more careful I think she wouldn't mind.

Memorial service is tomorrow.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  07:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
How sad. My sympathies to her family & friends.

There are all sorts of "excuses" for not wearing a helmet but accidents happen when you least expect it.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Yes, that is quite tragic and sad. My sympathies to your neighbor's family. It is those least expected times when a helmet is most needed.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
How awful for all involved! Yes, it is tragic, Hook, and preventable. I can't imagine the feeling of the student, walking in and finding the woman! Wow! My sympathies to all who knew her and those who loved her.

Excuses that I've heard to not wear a helmet range from religious (God will protect me) to vanity (my hair looks terrible when I take the helmet off) and everything in between, but in both of these cases I'd rather have helmet-hair than scrambled brains, and, well- "God helps those who help themselves".

In my barn, there is NO excuse to NOT wear a helmet, and if a rider doesn't have one, I have extras, and different sizes, to hand out. As adults, WE need to set the example for the next generation of riders.

Stepping off the soap box....

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:08:57 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hook, so sorry to hear that! Good grief, what a shock that must have been to everyone.

Was she riding? Or on the ground working the horse? I know I'm not likely to wear a helmet every time I go muck Cloud's pen (she's in it eating when that happens) but I'm just curious. I always think "helmet" when getting ready to ride, not at other times.

This is a tragic thing in any event! If she was in her arena, she could have been just working the horse (longuing) or on board, I am curious and others probably are, which it was.

I hope that you will somehow be able to convey condolences to the family from all the people all around the country who read your announcement, because not one of us could possibly feel anything other than great sympathies for their loss, particularly under such unexpected circumstances!
Carol
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Wow, how terrible! And, potentially preventable. I am so sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Oh, Hook, I'm so sorry! How tragic that this had to happen!

I'm with OTW on this one. I, too, wonder if she was riding or working with the horse from the ground. Like OTW, I rarely wear my helmet except when I'm going to ride. I have a book written for certifying riding instructors about teaching safe horsemanship, and one thing they stress strongly is to wear a helmet ANY TIME you are around a horse. I can see the point in this but just never did it. I'm fairly new to a helmet, myself. I've had mine for just a little over a year, now, and I already feel nude if I ride without it.

(For newcomers to the forum: I've been around horses for over 40 years and give riding lessons, myself)

My prayers to your neighbor and her family.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
How tragic. I just had an incident last week that surprised me. I had been riding Rocky and when I was done I decided to groom Tag, my 19 year old appy. I was working on getting the mud off the outside of his hoof, when he startled at something and struck me in the head with his knee, hard enough to knock me over. Whenever he spooks, he spooks in place, but my head was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Luckily I still had my helmet on from riding and I wasn't hurt. Made me think twice, since I never groom in the helmet. I also was reminded of the old saying,"Its the dead broke ones that kill you".

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  05:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
A friend of mine has a horseshoe-shaped scar on her forehead where her gelding hurt her, back when we were teenagers. She was lunging him, and the next thing she remembered was hearing another friend screaming for someone to call for an ambulance. Not sure whether the horse turned his back to her & kicked, or whether he may have veered in & knocked her down an run over her, since nobody actually saw it happen.

I do think it would be a good idea to wear a helmet anytime you are around a horse, but hard to remember to do!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  09:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Boy, that's a tough story to read and think about. I know when I got thrown, I remember hearing a loud bang as the back of my head whiplashed onto the rock-hard ground and thinking to myself "Glad I have my helmet on." The helmet had a small crack where I hit. I broke my hip, but as far as my head, I didn't even have a headache!! Helmets work.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tagnrocky

How tragic. I just had an incident last week that surprised me. I had been riding Rocky and when I was done I decided to groom Tag, my 19 year old appy. I was working on getting the mud off the outside of his hoof, when he startled at something and struck me in the head with his knee, hard enough to knock me over. Whenever he spooks, he spooks in place, but my head was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Luckily I still had my helmet on from riding and I wasn't hurt. Made me think twice, since I never groom in the helmet. I also was reminded of the old saying,"Its the dead broke ones that kill you".

Your story reminds me of when I hadn't had Wimpy very long, and she was the first horse that was truly mine though I'd worked with several before that. Anyway, as a teenager, I thought it'd be cool to teach Wimpy some tricks. One I thought up was to teach her to shake hands on command. It seemed innocent enough. By using a lead rope, I would flip it so it'd coil around Wimpy's right front pastern while standing a little off to the left and facing her head while saying, "Shake." She soon caught on that when I stood in that spot and leaned over toward her that I wanted her to raise her right leg for me to grab and pump up & down.

This worked fine until one day when I was combing out her mane with a mane & tail comb. Well, it got caught on a snarl and flipped out of my hand to land by Wimpy's right front foot. It never occurred to me that I was standing in the exact spot for the cue to "shake". I reached down to pick up the comb, saw Wimpy's knee come up to meet my face, and the stars danced around in my head while I latched onto her neck to keep from falling down. Poor ol' Wimpy thought for sure she'd done something wrong and that I was going to beat her an inch of her life... but I just talked softly to her, since it was not her fault. She'd down exactly as I had taught her to do, and I had suffered the consequences. No serious harm done, but I probably would've been a whole lot better if I'd been wearing a helmet. But back then, hlemets were unheard of for working with western trained horses.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  9:29:49 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
How horribly tragic and doubly so that it might have been prvented by wearing a helmet. It also brings up the question of riding alone. I see so many young teenagers that ride by themselves and I always wonder if they get hurt how long its going to be before someone finds them.

One boarding barn I know requires helmets when picking out stalls and when grooming too! When you think about it, you are probably more exposed when you are picking out a horses feet than any other time.

Hook, I'm sure your friend would approve of you posting this... we all need to be reminded that our decisions (like whether to wear a helmet) have consequences for ourselves and for our families.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000