Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Crates or Circle Y
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdenney
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit sdenney's Homepage Send sdenney a Private Message
Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I've been looking at saddles this winter and have narrowed it down to 2. One of the Circle Y Flex or the Crates Supreme Trail Saddle. The girly girl in me thinks I need a black saddle since the horse is black. Most of all, I've wasted some money on cheap saddles in the past and really want to get a good one this time. Has anyone had either of these? I've heard mostly good things about the Circle Y but haven't heard alot about Crates.
Thanks,
Sherry

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  12:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Well it would come down to if they fit the horse or not. I think that is more important then color or what others have said. Since both saddles are on the good list you shoudln't have a problem there. So just worry about which one fits.

I have owned a Circle Y Flex. Love the Softee leather, could careless about the flex tree, didn't fit the horse so I sold it.
I don't know anything about that modle of Crates saddle but I do have a Crates barrel saddle that is nice. I haven't rode in it yet, I bought it used hoping it would fit my mare but I don't think it's going to work. Waiting for her to have the foal to find out or not.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Welcome to the form.
We have a Crates Western show saddle about 9 years old. Excellent quality and workmanship.
I do not have a Circle Y but I may have to buy a new one from Chuck to get a Barrel saddle that will fit Hook.

Chuck can certainly sell you a Circle Y in any model that you desire. If you use his templates and let him help you choose the fit you should be Okay.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
We carry both and would easily recommend Circle Y over Crates. We have been noticing some shoddy workmanship in the Crates saddles lately. We are eagerly awaiting them to clean things up, but until then, we are keeping our Crates inventory low.

(Updated 6/29/09 - Crates has worked their problems out and I do now recommend them. The workmanship is top notch)

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

sdenney
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  4:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sdenney's Homepage Send sdenney a Private Message
Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded the templetes and am in the process of cutting them out of cardboard. I do understand that what fits the horse is the most important thing. After reading the replies, especially Chuck's, if it fits, I'll go with a Circle Y from HorseSaddleShop.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Have a Cirlce Y from Chuck, very comfy and was a bargain from Chuck compared to local tack store. Crates makes some nice looking ones but couldn't tell you much more.

Go to Top of Page

sdenney
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  11:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit sdenney's Homepage Send sdenney a Private Message
A friend of mine bought a Crates Supreme Trail from a dealer at Equine Affair. She says she likes it but hasn't used it but a couple of times. The dealer was saying that the tree distributes your weight more evenly over the horses back making it more comfy for the horse. So this is where I came up with the idea of a Crates Saddle in the first place. She bought it for a new mare that ended up being in foal so she won't be using it anytime soon. My horse is a Twh/Draft/QH/who knows what else cross. I had to buy him because he was skinny and beat up from being in with a bunch of mares on some property adjoining ours. We had to cut a hole in the fence to get him, couldn't touch him for a long time but now he's got the personality of a lap dog. Anyway, eventhough he has a little draft in him he's a little under 15H. I couldn't be happier with him, he came back from being started in the fall so he's had the winter off. I bought a gaited horse saddle for my TWH and it doesn't fit this horse at all, so I've got to go ahead and get a new one before long.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000