Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Why?? Another Horse Ad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
http://www.equinehits.com/horses__69885

Ummmm.....no...not for me. Anyone else?

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  8:30:44 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
You'd get noticed on a trail ride. LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  9:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Mrs Hook wants one. she thinks he's cute.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  10:42:49 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I don't know if it'd even be possible, but I always fantasized about having one as a champion barrel racer. What do ya think?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  11:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Hook- Let the Missus breed him to some mares for a lovely Zorse or two, or six! Train em to pull a chariot and you've got a dog and pony show!! Charge admission and they'll take care of you in retirement. Now, about that swampland that I've got for sale.... rofl

(Mrs. Hook...really, I'm not picking on you! They ARE cute! But they aren't for me.)

Actually, my hubby has always remarked upon the Zorse...thinking it would be a pretty unique ride. Myself, I don't need unique...I've got Chey! lol

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  05:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I wonder what you would get if you breed to a paint. Is it even possible to cross a horse and a Zebra?

Mrs. Hook says the Zebras are bad tempered.

I can visuallize a striped Quarter horse doing barrels.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

waddy
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit waddy's Homepage Send waddy a Private Message
Did you know that there is a very, very old man in Africa whose job is to paint the black stripes on the white zebras, and the white stripes on the black zebras? It's true......Tarzan stripes forever!!!

Sorry all, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  1:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Oops, a double..

Edited by - fracturedbones on 02/26/2006 2:55:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
First time I've seen them on a horse sale web...then again, I don't zebra/zorse shop!!

Hook, it IS possible! We had a discussion about this in the last year I think, even mini zorses, and donkey crossings! Gal out my way has a farm. Says different (=difficult!) to train.

Wonder how you get the spook out of them...would think so programmed to exit...stage left!

Red Hawk, there IS one just for you! http://www.spotsnstripes.com//PhotoAlbum5Zorses.htm scroll down to the bottom of page....

A ZAPPY?????

Looks like there's one for everyone, just checked middle of page, a reining zorse!! Wonder if Clinton would take one on in his clinics mate???
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  2:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
How very interesting! I watched a movie..."Stripes" was the title, I think. It's about a zebra raised next to a race track who wants to be a race horse. Cute movie! The daughter of the race horse trainer rode him in the movie. Looked like a "choppy" ride. And what an interesting link. I didn't know they were crossing horses and zebras! Learned something new AGAIN today!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  3:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beccajane

How very interesting! I watched a movie..."Stripes" was the title, I think. It's about a zebra raised next to a race track who wants to be a race horse. Cute movie! The daughter of the race horse trainer rode him in the movie. Looked like a "choppy" ride. And what an interesting link. I didn't know they were crossing horses and zebras! Learned something new AGAIN today!

I may be missing the point, but "Stripes", I'm sure is more fantasy than reality.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  3:21:39 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

First time I've seen them on a horse sale web...then again, I don't zebra/zorse shop!!

Hook, it IS possible! We had a discussion about this in the last year I think, even mini zorses, and donkey crossings! Gal out my way has a farm. Says different (=difficult!) to train.

Wonder how you get the spook out of them...would think so programmed to exit...stage left!

Red Hawk, there IS one just for you! http://www.spotsnstripes.com//PhotoAlbum5Zorses.htm scroll down to the bottom of page....

A ZAPPY?????

Looks like there's one for everyone, just checked middle of page, a reining zorse!! Wonder if Clinton would take one on in his clinics mate???

No offense intended, but my initial reaction is "YUCK!!!"

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  3:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Those zorse mixes are very unique looking! Did anyone check out the rest of the photo pages on that site? Too cute....love the Dal and mini foal!

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  3:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
This is nothing new...years ago, Western Horseman had an article about a ranch that bred these! I recall the article mentioning that it was a little bit more harder to train a zorse than a horse. The ranch had them doing all kinds of things, though. Personally, I thought it was interesting, even though I'd not want one myself!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

34me
Groomer

31 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit 34me's Homepage Send 34me a Private Message
The other pictures were very funny, but something just does not seem "right" about them. I am no horse snob, just have a couple of quarter horses and a no papered paint, but still Have my doubts about it.
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  04:14:33 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Bones, I posted this pic last summer. Some folks brought him by the western show. They said they they were going to use him to breed minatures.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Darn, someone else remembers that we had already visited this topic! lol I love the shading on this guy, but I'm sure that he probably outgrows it....

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:17:44 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Yes, you can successfully breed a horse with a zebra. Also, I believe the offspring may be fertile and able to breed as well, if they have an even number of chromosomes. If the number is odd, they cannot.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Thought I'd better check into what I just said, and a zorse cannot reproduce; therefore, they have an odd number of chromosomes. Some hybrid breeds can reproduce; tions and ligers come readily to mind.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I would love to see Maggie's reaction if one of these came down the trail toward her...well, on second thought, I'd like to see her reaction if someone ELSE was on her at the time1

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Appygirl, I personally don't know about if Zorses are sterile or not. Can't remember where I heard this (think it was TV) but there was actually a case of a mule actually conceiving. Anyone else here about that??

Personally, horses are a challenge enough! Why would I want anything more difficult to train?????? The TB would probably go nuts seeing one. The fjord would be curious!!! I wonder if they smell different than horses (to us and to other animals). Fjords have a rather unique smell..diffrenet from the horses...so wondered about zorses/zebras?
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Appygirl, I personally don't know about if Zorses are sterile or not. Can't remember where I heard this (think it was TV) but there was actually a case of a mule actually conceiving. Anyone else here about that??

Personally, horses are a challenge enough! Why would I want anything more difficult to train?????? The TB would probably go nuts seeing one. The fjord would be curious!!! I wonder if they smell different than horses (to us and to other animals). Fjords have a rather unique smell..diffrenet from the horses...so wondered about zorses/zebras?

Quite awhile back, a mule dropped a foal right here in Huntington, IN. I know, because I saw the baby... but I've heard it's very, very rare, since mules are normally sterile.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
It is a rarity for sterile hybrids to reproduce; however, it can occur. I think the zorse is an interesting looking hybrid. I'd love to chat with someone who has one to get their take on the breed. I'm sure there are those who are as sold on them as ones who like 'long ears'. It just goes to show that many members of the equidae family can hold special places in human hearts.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  6:00:21 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Literally it's a one in a million occurence for a mule to reproduce. And it's always a female mule or hinny. Interestingly, the hinny passes on a complete set of her maternal genes to the foal, therefore a female mule bred to a horse would produce a 100% horse foal.

There are also zonies (zebra x pony) and Zebrass (also called zedonk or zonkey, zebra x donkey). Reminds me a little of the dog breeding discussion we had a while back (labradoodles....). You gotta wonder whether all this cross breeding is a good idea???

Also, the USDA classifies any animal that is a half-bred offspring of a domestic and wild animal as domestic. You don't need a special permit to own them. You do usually need a wildlife permit for zebras.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
It seems to me we need a defining of certain terms used in this discussion.

A mule is not a breed but a hybrid species. Even though a horse and a mule are both of the equine family, a mule is not a horse. Hence, they are two different species and not different breeds. For example; you can have a TB mule, a QH mule, a draft mule, etc. The same holds true for any crossing of two species including breeding a zebra to a horse, donkey, or pony. The resulting cross is a hybrid species and not a breed.

In the case of crossing different breeds of dogs, that is exactly what is being done. A dog is a species of the family canine. So when you breed any two dogs, the result is a dog... a species. But when you cross two dogs of different breeds, you are creating either a cross breed or another breed of dog. On the other hand, if you crossed a dog with a wolf, this would be creating a hybrid species of the canine family and not another breed.

Equine is a family of species. Differing species from this family would be donkeys, asses, horses, & zebras. Differing breeds from the species known a the horse would be Quarter Horses, Arabians, Paints, Appaloosas, etc.

I might not be 100% correct on how I've explained it, but I'm pretty sure I'm close. LOL!

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  09:16:49 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by sbower

Interestingly, the hinny passes on a complete set of her maternal genes to the foal, therefore a female mule bred to a horse would produce a 100% horse foal.

Thinking this one through.....a hinny is the hybrid offspring resulting from the breeding of a stud horse to a female donkey. If the female hinny passes on her 'maternal genes' wouldn't she be passing on her donkey genes? Genetically speaking, wouldn't any hybrid have half of each parent's genes?

Sorry, my mind dwells on things when I'm not busy at work! lol

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000