Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Help! Ticks in the winter time?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  11:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Hi,

I picked up my 3 yr old gelding, Tango, from someone who was going to help start him (long story) this fall and he had little crusty scabby things all over him.

Took him straight to the vet, who said it was a fungal problem--something along the line of rain rot. Gave me a iodine-based shampoo and told me to pick off as much of the scabs as I could. I got one bath in before the cold, snowy weather hit here--it's been too cold and I don't have a place to do it inside since. So, poor guy--he still has them.

However, had my equissage therapist here a little while ago and she was giving all the horses massages. She says it isn't fungal--it's ticks (gross, huh!). She couldn't remember what the product is that you can pour on from poll to tail that is supposed to help.

Any suggestions? Anyone else ever dealt with this issue and had success getting your horses cleaned up?

"This woman's place is in the saddle"

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
It wouldn't be ticks, at least not now. We have bad ticks here and this time of the year they normally aren't out. Plus you see the tick on the horse. What you have is the sores that develop after the tick falls off. The ticks themselves aren't on the animal anymore. Just put a good healing creme on it something that does Bacteria and fungul just in case. The ticks use this stuff to help them keep feeding on the bite without the area healing. Most of the time they well heal on their own but if you get a bacteria or fungual infection in them it takes longer.

As for ticks in the tick season I use WIPE. It's a great fly wipe for this area but also helps with ticks. When I worked as a guide we would pull the horse's off the pasture a week before and give them baths. They would covered in ticks. They would get a bath and then wiped down with WIPE and the next week when we hauled them to the ski hill they still wouldn't have a tick on them. I might find one or two per horse but that's it. It has to be WIPE not WIPE II and it's best to wipe it on not spray it on. Really it's better to wipe any of them on because you get a better cover and less waste to wind.

Each area is different though. What works here might not work where you are. I didn't really care for the pour on ones. They worked but as well as I would want.

Also for fungus problems. If you can't bath the animal, which I have found doesn't work that well since we are just keeping that wet cycle going, Athlete's foot cream works but the spray is better. It works on things like Girth Itch and rain rot, ring worm. I had three horses get girth itch and I bathed one twice a day like one vet said, one every other day like the other vet said and one once a week. The one that got the least amount of bathes healed up better and the other two just got worst. So I quit the baths and just use the Foot Spray. I made it a habit to spray down cinches and breastcollars with it after rides.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  1:57:26 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I don't think Tango would have ticks either. Ticks that get on my horse usually don't live too long. Not sure why but they're usually dead when found. They will leave a small sore or bump sometimes.

Usually, there isn't much trouble with fungus infections this time of year either so I wonder if there's something else going on. Is Tango on good hay & feed & supplement for your area? He's young & growing so maybe he needs a vitamin boost.

OHHH...I Googled and found:

quote:
The winter tick is a one host tick; this means that all stages in the developmental cycle can parasitize the same type of host animal. The preferred host for the winter tick is the moose; however, horses are frequently fed upon. Occasionally cattle, sheep, bison and other large animals are attacked. The winter tick is most abundant during the fall through the winter months. Heavy infestations cause loss of appetite, depression and debilitation of horses.

I found that infomation here. I don't know if you got moose in your area or where Tango was before you picked him up but it's something to think about.

Could you take pics of the scabby areas & post them? Has he gotten worse over the winter? Do they seem itchy?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Post some pictures if you can! Winter ticks are large, reddish-brown to grayish-brown in color. If they were still on your horse you'd know it. Has the animal been moved from another area of the country? Sometimes it takes a while for the animal to develop a decent immunity to the local insects. You know how young children get these huge welts as toddlers from insects but by the time they are five or so the reaction disappears??? Likely what you have is either an insect reaction, or some type of fungus like rain rot. Due to the length of time your horse has had these I'm guessing your vet was correct and like Stormie said you need to keep a good ointment on them.

Stormie, where do you get Wipe? Its a product that I'm not familiar with and it sounds better than what we use around here (New England). We have major tick problems and Lyme disease is getting to be a really serious issue. This winter's been bad even for normal ticks because Its been rather warm, although as I write this we are getting plenty of snow!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I would also think of an alergic reaction to something. We had a quarter horse, Red, who would regularly break out with scab accompanied with slight swelling. Some anti-histamines for awhile and they would go away. We found some evidence of mold in the pelleted grain we were feeding ( large chunks in the bags, probably traces in all of it)and after we switched to straight oats ( steam crimped)with a ration balancer he never had the problem again.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
By the Way, Welome to the forum from Canada.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Hi y'all,

Went in to my local ranch store here in Buffalo, Wyoming after I posted the question.

These are winter ticks my friends--just like PaintGal described in her posting. Yes, we do have moose and elk in the area and after talking to the proprietor at the ranch store--this is a problem for several horse owners in my area.

They advised to worm the horse--which I just did. They also suggested fly spray--like the WIPE suggested earlier. The product I was looking for is Poridon--but they didn't have any in stock because so many other horse owners have been in for the same reason that they ran out!

S'posed to be 50+ degrees the next two days, so I'll start a grooming regimen and get that insecticide on him!

I've had horses for over 30 years--and I learn something new all the time!

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
I don't see the ticks--not like you can see the typical ticks you get in the summer. However if they are red-brown, so is he! I just see the scabs, so maybe whoever posted before is right and this is just the remaining scabs from an infestation. My other horses who are in the same pasture as Tango don't have them. He hasn't gotten worse--they just haven't gone AWAY!!

He has a good, healthy appetite and acts as happy and good-natured as always. Seems to appreciate me scratching him...but not overly itchy.

I've been treating it as a fungus--and even though I couldn't give him a bath, I've been using people-type fungus powders/sprays. Maybe even if that wasn't the cure, it's helped him some.

I'm still going to try the insecticide--since that's what other folks in this area recommend.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance and let y'all know what happens!

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  01:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
WIPE can be found most places that sell Farnam products. It comes in a skinny dark green jug. I have found that for the price(around $14-18 for a quart) it's the best around. When I had 6 horses I only went through about 4 jugs in a year. I sat and did the math. And it came out to being about .06 per horse per day. With the avg. spray on that runs about $18 I would go through a quart a week. It would be .40 per horse per day PLUS the WIPE works a lot better in my area. When I worked at the Ski Hill we had to ride through 2-4 swampy areas depending on the trail and the deer flies where nasty but hardly touched the horses with this. Only on really hot sweaty or rainy days did I have to put it on twice a day and I only put it on the legs, udder/shealth, face, ears and along the mane(where the deer flies love it).

No I don't have stock in the company but I should with the way I use it and the company that makes Cowboy magic too! I also use the Mosquito Halt and That one that is sweat proof but mostly it's the WIPE.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Great info in this thread. My horse had a tiny bump on his withers that I noticed for the last few days when grooming, I assumed was just a small scab. After reading this thread, went back out and searched through his thick winter coat down to skin, and found a tiny reddish-brown tick and the skin around it was raised and sore. Pulled the tick, put some antiseptic on it and checked him over as carefully as I could (considering the thick coat) but found no other ones. First time I've ever seen ticks in the winter. (I live in western SD)

Edited by - ree7 on 02/26/2006 7:37:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  5:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
This fall, while trail riding regularly at Green Sullivan State Forest, I had problems with deer ticks. I noticed small bumps and scabs from the knee down. I asked a fellow around here (who has forgotten more than I will ever learn) and he brought over a mix of pine tar (not avalable anymore) and linseed oil and had me brush it on his legs a couple of times and then before I go out. It has solved the problem, but it was nice to hear about the Wipe. I haven't seen it much around here. I'll have to keep an eye out for it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000