Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Hilason treeless
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Anyone have any opinions on Hilason, the ebay "brand" of treeless? I just bought a Bob Marshall for myself but can't afford two of those at one time so I but am about to buy a Hilason for my 3 year old. Is it worth $400? Anyone? Anyone?

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  12:08:56 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tuffstuff

Anyone have any opinions on Hilason, the ebay "brand" of treeless? I just bought a Bob Marshall for myself but can't afford two of those at one time so I but am about to buy a Hilason for my 3 year old. Is it worth $400? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, I've been on a number of forums and actually plugged that in on the forum search engines and have not heard good things about them. My impression is not very good quality. Hate to tell you that, but it's fair to give you that input since you asked for honest opinions/info.
Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Thank you for your input, that's all I want is honesty - NEVER be hesitant to give that!! Yes, I too, have seen some bad reviews but I've also seen a few good ones.

My dilemna is that we have two horses, one wide-backed with no withers, Tuffy, and the other one a complete opposite with a very deep swayback and a narrow back, Brandy. Since she enjoys riding both of them (Brandy is hers), I need a saddle that will fit her and both the horses.

It seems the Hilason saddles are inconsistent - some people say good quality and other people say they are poorly constructed...believe me, I will thoroughly inspect ours when it arrives. I'm looking at the 11 inch so I figure by the time my daughter really starts riding, it will be time for a bigger saddle.

All I know is that fitting saddles to all the horses and to all the riders absolutely drives me insane!!

Thanks for you comments!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  12:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I saw that you ordered a Marshall, have you tried one on your wide flat horse yet? They don't fit all of the wide flat horses. This is why I couldn't go with one on my one mare. The front of the saddle is still solid and doesn't give any more then it can. So if the horse is flatter or wider then that piece it will still pinch. The Endu. modle is a little wider but not much and it didn't work for my horse either.

Treeless saddles are okay if you are just goofing off but they have issues. They come in two groups. Ones that have a semi solid/solid part to help hold them on like Marshalls. and ones that are just basicly fancy bareback pads that don't give you the support you need. Neaither give the horse the support they need. I would avoid ones in the second group at all cost for a 3 yr old rider because a 3 yr old is not going to have the balance or ablility to keep themselves and the saddle on the horse. Even saddles in the first group could cause problems. I'm not sure if the Hilason is in the first or second group. I took one look at them and said no way. If some are saying they are quaility and others aren't that probably is where you need to ask each one what is quaility. You can look at these saddles and see they aren't well made or designed.
Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Yeah, I have tried a Bob Marshall on my mare, last weekend, and I really liked it. I used a Skito pad and bought one too when I ordered the saddle as it equalizes out the pressure of the rider more so than an ordinary Western pad. The Marshall I tried out last weekend I borrowed from another barrel racer I know who uses hers on barrels, poles, cones and hairpin. Trust me when I say she doesn't goof around! She places in the top 5 in all 5 events every month.

The Hilason actually falls into the first group that you described. However, if I don't feel comfortable with it, I CAN ship it back. All my daughter will be doing in it is being lead around for now at a walk and trot. She can't even reach the stirrups yet.

I'll let you know if it's a yay or a nay. I'm a little skeptical of the Hilason, too, to tell you the truth, guess I'll be the guinea pig! We shall see.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I guess your wide flat backed horse isn't all that wide or flat next to mine! even the company told me flat out it wouldn't work for my mare because of how wide she is. So much for all the ones selling it as a fix to fit the hard to fit horse!
Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Yeah, Stormie, I just realized I exaggerate when I saw wide and flat because of how narrow and swaybacked Brandy is - it makes it seem like Tuffy is very wide and flat!!! Guess it's all relative! HV, those treeless saddles would probably fit a horse like Brandy pretty well, you think? She's just a walk/slow trot horse for my 3 year old in peewee classes at our monthly "playday" but I still want her to be as comfortable as possible, she's such an old sweetie.

I've just been agonizing over saddle fit and couldn't take it anymore!! Every saddle I have ever used just doesn't fit - it bit into Tuffy's withers (and who deserves that!), felt "too perched", was too wide, was too long and on and on! Tuffy's a Cracker horse, stocky but short-backed, short-necked, short everything! It has been extremely frustrating and now I have all these saddles I can't use.

I did bid and win on the HIlason for Brandy last night at $399 - Stormie, if you're interested I can put up a link to a picture of it and you can pick it apart for me! I wouldn't mind getting some insight into it.

Honestly, for a 3 year old, it looks decent enuf to me. I admit, though, I wouldn't buy one for myself. We got an 11" without the fenders (those do look horrible) with a little red suede seat. I think most of their adult Western models are hideous and do look cheap and not well made. Their endurance ones look all right though and all the feedback for those models was 100% positive. Alas, I ride only in Western saddles.

Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7221329110&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The above is the address for the Hilason. One thing, the saddle is washed out in this pic, it's actually a touch darker. Another one was up for auction, looked better, asked why and they said this pic was a little overexposed.

Okay, Stormie, pick away!!!
Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  06:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Yoooo hooooo, we got the 11" Hilason yesterday and I was pleasantly suprised - it is a pretty well-made solid saddle. Of course, it is only an 11" but I have seen junk in 11" too before.

We popped it up on both the horses and it fit both. I cinched up and put in one hand in the stirrup and put as much weight as I could in it and it didn't budge, which suprised me too. Last night, I emailed someone from ebay who bought the same model in a 15" and asked them what they thought and if they had any saddle roll and they said that the BM's, obviously, are better quality but that the Hilason is a great saddle and they never experienced any roll or slide but used tacky pads so that would minimize any as well.

The leather isn't the best quality, it has a plastic look up close but the rest of the saddle I'm very happy with. It is pretty darn cute too! There is a lot of attention to detail all over the saddle, it's not just thrown together.

So, there you have it, that's my "review" on the Hilason 11". Still waiting to try out my new BM, Tuffy had some teeth pulled last Friday and is recooping
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000