Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Making an arena....footing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I'm hot to get this done, have read some magazine articles, etc. My neighbor's guy was supposed to give me an estimate on return from vacation...only he has been gone to Mexico for a couple months and questionable return????????????????

Toyed with the idea of doing it myself with the b.o. (he did his own) but not sure I want to put that on him....hard to do it on the weekends and maybe better to do it in one swoop.

Anyone done their own? Hired anyone? Where did you find them? I looked in the past and didn't see anyone listed in phone books. Some neighbors do their own. How do you keep it from being a fortune (labor and machinery)? Stories and tips appreciated.

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  01:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
We did out own footing for the round pen and will for the arena(if it ever gets done). But labor and machinery wasn't much of a problem. We have a business so a lot of stuff gets done on trade around here. My my gravel and mats for the foaling stall, my round pen itself, bedding, straw, even hay some years. If you can get something set up like that it can be a huge saves. Like with the round pen. The guy was selling them for $2,400+ I traded a truck I bought for $1,500 for a 60 foot round pen and a large drag. Couldn't beat that deal...now I just need to find something to trade for a good set of stocks or the feed lot set up!

We have all clay here so we dug a bunch of that out with the tractor and back hoe. Leveled it all off. Hauled in some gravel for drainage. I had it sloped because with clay drainage is not something you have. Then it's topped with a little courser sand then most but I liked it in the work out pen at the fair grounds. I only had them put so much in and then added a little more that fall. The company that we got the gravel and sand from owned us some money so I got a break there but also a second break because I waited until we had a need for a huge bunch and the guy next to us had them hauling also. We did everything but the hauling. Most of the stuff we do that way. The guys have exp. in building. The only down side to that is that you are working on your time off so it can take awhile.

My big arena is on hold since where it's going is a paddock and the pig pen right now! It will be about 100 by 120. Fence or not I don't care so much. I would love an indoor in the new section of the barn just big enough to work in for the winter. We are looking into a cover all type building or a metal added on to the old barn.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Stormie,

How do you keep the rock for drainage from working up through the sand?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
You know what I didn't really plan the whole thing so I don't know how the guys did each layer. I know that they worked the gravel into the clay and then I think there is a smaller gravel layer and work down to the sand size. I'll ask though.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I have clay too...adobe, could make a house out of it when wet!! Nasty and the TB loses shoes if I let her in it when muddy.

Arena is also on top of my leach field...I've dug out all I can when widening it. An article I saved, think from Horse Illustrated recommends crushed DG compacted and forget how many inches, then finer sand (I forget the specifics) compacted on top. Have it sloped 2% so drainage is reasonable, plus have drains dug in. It is just putting in the footing, compacting, maybe making a burm of something to keep the sand from being kicked out.

Doesn't sound all that difficult, but don't have the equipment or knowledge to run it. Too old to be spreading all that stuff and compacting it myself! Nothing in Yellow pages under arena construction.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Try just construction. Anyone that has the stuff and knowledge to move dirt for lawns and building should be able to do this even if you have explain how you want each layer. Also try finding people in your area that have arena and ask them who they used. Check out their arenas well you're at it to see the work.
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Can you really compact soil on top of a leach field, doesn't sound like a good idea...

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  8:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I've got enough leach lines for the whole neighborhood, they are the spares. Horses been tromping on it yrs. now without problems, and actually would be adding cover on top, don't think would be a problem.

Lot of day labor and do it yourself-ers here. Thanks for suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  11:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
wouldn't be slave labor in some cases. Non horsey family members get pushed into helping around here. Since it's semi unwilling I guess it would be slave labor.....where did I put the cattle prod and longe whip I have a stall that needs finished! :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000