Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Let's talk food
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
I will be doing some primitive horse camping without Mr. Parrot this year. Since Mr. Parrot takes such good care of me it will be a big learning experience. Now I can do some awesome fire cooking, but for just me, I can't see making the fuss. (or the dirty dishes) At home I am a "from scratch, large quantity" cook, but I think it is time to change all that. In fact I am constantly amazed at the pre prepared food in the grocery. Why in my day, (start the snow storm, so I can walk to and from school, uphill both ways) most of that stuff wasn't even invented!

So to make a short story long...

What do the rest of you camping singles take to eat, that doesn't have to be cooked, cleaned, or fussed with?

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Well, there's hot dogs roasted on a stick, & a can of Dinty Moore beef stew makes a good dinner...I have also taken along store-bought cold fried chicken & kept it in the cooler. You can make or bring things from home like soup, chili, etc, & just heat it up on a camp stove. I've heard of people lining cooking pans with heavy-duty aluminum foil, so that they won't have to wash pots. Never done it, but it's an idea....

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
We do a lot of cook ahead foods and a lot of crock pot meals, too. I have a toaster oven and microwave, not to mention my coleman camp stove. You can fix the same things you normally do, must in smaller portions.

I'm really sold on crock pot meals now that I've utilized them for a season or two. You can fix anything and everything in them, and dinner is ready when you get off the trail.

Appygirl

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  10:23:57 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
I must agree on the crock pot, appygirl. gotta love them. In fact I just found some great one step recipes here http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/recipes/slowcooker/

What I really need are tips for going to primitive campgrounds where there is no electric.

Maybe beef jerky and nuts? Or it may be time to pump up that coleman stove we bought in 1975. :)

Jill
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
My biggest thing is instant oatmeal in the morning.

My friend I camp with alot, used to do the full breakfast. You know, bacon, eggs, panfries, from the extra baked taters we did the night before.
I liked the breaky, but found the cooking & cleaning really slowed me down as far as getting out & hitting the trails early.
So now its instand oatmeal, in a paper bowl, (chinet)which goes straight into the fire LOL
No cleaning up, fast, and its something that "sticks" with you, so you arent hungrey an hour out of camp.
With only a campfire & a coleman. Some suggestions.

Pre wash your potatoes at home, and wrap in foil, so they are ready for baking in the coals. (To make faster baked pots, shove a clean nail into the potatoe, it will then bake from the inside out, as well as outside in, at the same time)

I like green seedless grapes, and pre-wash up a bunch of these, as well as cherry tomatoes. I also take a cuke, english, so no peeling, just slice & eat.

I find I save alot of time & hassle, by washing everything at home first.

Tin foil, cut up potatoe, cut up onion, seasonings,dabs of butter or marg, double wrap, and turn every 5 min or so, on the gill over the campfire, makes nice variation.
Other veggies can be done this way too. Use your imagination

I rip the skin off a bunch of chicken thighs, and boil them till cooked, (at home) Cool them, shove in ziplock with bbq sauce, (or teriyaki, etc) They can then be frozen, or not, and into cooler, ready for heating & browning of sauce, over campfire. Ziplock gets tossed, no dishes from the meat portion of dinner, no prep or cleanup.
No skin on thighs= no fat= no flare ups on fire.

When using a cooler, I freeze all my meat, so it lasts longer. Sometimes I may take a separate cooler for things I want to stay frozen, make homemade big blocks of ice, separate things that are for a couple of days later, then wrap cooler in a horseblanket, (extra insulation & you have blanket for emergencies) and do not open for the first 2 days.

Steaks are good,marinate in ziplock at home, freeze if they are going to be 2nd or 3rd day meal.
Campfire grils eliminate cleaning of pots, and tin foil is my best friend! LOL

Hope this helps!

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:48:23 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Sorry for the spelling, I really need to proof read better!
Sorry!

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  6:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
When I really want to go primitive, I fall back on my old Boy Scout days...we called it Dutch Stew.

Just get a bunch of potatoes, carrots, corn, whatever kind of veggies you like, put in half a pound of hamburger, chicken, stew beef or whatever...put it all in a big, thick piece of aluminum foil, wrap it up tight, put a second piece of foil around it all, pinch corners, poke holes in the top, and set the whole thing in the coals of your fire. Leave it for an hour or 90 minutes, and you will have a delightful, tasty, wonderful stew with no pans to clean...you can even just eat it right out of the aluminum foil and have no plates to clean!!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  6:56:00 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
mtn rider, those are some great tips.
Flooper. sounds like that could last me a whole weekend....
Thanks guys,

Jill
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Hey, Parrot, guess what I saw at Wal-Mart yesterday??? A propane-powered slow cooker!!!! I had no idea they even existed!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  7:43:54 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
OH OH OH I'm a headed for walmart tomorrow.... what department is that in ?

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:09:33 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

When I really want to go primitive, I fall back on my old Boy Scout days...we called it Dutch Stew.

Just get a bunch of potatoes, carrots, corn, whatever kind of veggies you like, put in half a pound of hamburger, chicken, stew beef or whatever...put it all in a big, thick piece of aluminum foil, wrap it up tight, put a second piece of foil around it all, pinch corners, poke holes in the top, and set the whole thing in the coals of your fire. Leave it for an hour or 90 minutes, and you will have a delightful, tasty, wonderful stew with no pans to clean...you can even just eat it right out of the aluminum foil and have no plates to clean!!!

You just reminded me, Flooper. I still have several of my old girl scout handbooks layin' around somewhere, and they had a lot of neat ideas for camping primitive along with some campfire recipes. I might dig them out and reread some of the info in there and let you guys know what I find out.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  8:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Parrothead

OH OH OH I'm a headed for walmart tomorrow.... what department is that in ?

Saw it in the camping dept. of a Super Wal-Mart in Indianapolis...but the smaller store here where I live doesn't have them...looked like a handy thing to have!

Darn it, seems like I am wanting more & more "stuff"!!!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Parrot, you could always take along a grill and a thick ribeye or two! Yummy!

Thanks, EZ, now you're gonna have me looking at the Wal-Mart here! My boss gave me a $50 Wal-Mart gift card (in appreciation of all the OT I worked during the grant preparation). Wonder what other goodies I can find? lol

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
It is kind of amazing how you can find such interesting camping things at Wal-Mat! In fact, it is about the only place around here where you CAN buy camping gear. Back when there was a Galyan's here, they had a lot of really handy & innovative camping items. Then they were bought out by Dick's, which seems to have mostly golf, fishing, & kids sports stuff. The one closest to me only has the most basic camping gear; tents, sleeping bags, and that is about it!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Hi folks,

Not to plug our webstore here---but we do have one of the coolest products for cooking on the trail!

Check out edited out --under our camping products we have the Jetboil personal cooking system. It is SO handy--and it's had rave reviews ever since it came out. (won the backpacker's choice award in 2004)

If you want coffee or other hot drinks, instant oatmeal, soup, chili, etc--it takes a matter of seconds to set up this handy little stove and get your food hot and ready to eat. And it's so compact--you can carry it in a saddlebag or cantle bag (which we also sell).

I love it...and believe me--if I can use it, anyone can!

The link was edited out because of forum rules, however if anyone wants more info about the Jetboil, please contact Western Horsewoman privately! It is a cool product.

PaintGal

Edited by - PaintGal on 02/25/2006 11:58:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000