Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Check out these little guys!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

NOW you did it. Mrs Hook loved the puppies and fell in love with Scarlett. We already have three dogs, large collie Lab croaa, a Springer Spaniel (Hector) and my Buddy, a ****szu. The Spaniel has the nices silky coat and your guys look just the right size for her lap.

Scarlett drew my eye, too... but I've always been partial to chestnuts in horses, too.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sbower

There's nothing cuter than a puppy! They are an extremely loving breed and well deserving of their popularity. They do have alot of health issues so if anyone is considering buying one be careful to stick with breeders that will guarantee their dogs....

Well said!

To anyone reading this thread that *might* be thinking that breeding dogs is a money making proposition, please reconsider. All purebred dogs have health issues and unless the proper health tests are performed on the parents and they're found clear, those health problems can be passed onto the pups. Also being "registered" does NOT mean that the particular dog should be bred. There is a standard that has been developed for every breed and only those dogs that best represent that standard should be bred. The standard is the blueprint that keeps the breed what it is.

A breeder's goal should be to improve the breed, not to make money. If selling pups can offset some of the cost, that's great. Raising a litter costs money and if there is a problem with delivery one may lose the female &/or the pups. You'd better have plenty of extra cash available for emergencies.

Anyone with even a passing thought about breeding should take a look at the millions of homeless dogs already in shelters & rescues. There are purebred dogs of every breed and every imaginable mutt....and yes...the "labradoodles" that have become so popular are MUTTS! Nothing wrong with mutts (some of my best dogs have been mutts) but we don't need more of them!

I know we've touched on this topic before and I'm not directing my tirade to Mrs. Flooper! I wish everyone that bred dogs were as consciencious as she is.

I really did try not to drag out that darn soapbox.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  1:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hmmm...didn't mean to start a big controversy...just wanted to show off some pictures of my "babies"! (PS: My little lap buddies are all gone now!! The new owners picked them up this weekend!!) But I definitely agree...there are LOTS of unethical/ bad breeders out there (the Amish are some of the worst, IMO) who care nothing for the dogs they are raising and are just trying to make money. And PaintGal is right...making money as a dog breeder is not easy. Let's just say we won't be retiring on what Mrs. Flooper makes anytime soon!! Most really, really good dog breeders are in the business because they are crazy about a particular breed of dogs...in Mrs. Flooper's case, it's Cavaliers...for her sister, it's Bernese Mountain Dogs and Shi Tsus. So guess what they raise? So always look for a reputable breeder--for your sake and for the puppy's sake. Guess the same goes for horse breeders!!

PS: If you're interested in why I don't care for Amish breeders, here's a link that explains it. Also backs up what Paint and Sbower were saying.

http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/palawwhy.htm

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/21/2006 2:40:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Floops, I've always liked the look of Burmese Mountain dogs. Could you give your take on their personalities? And in general, how much does your in-law sell them for? 2 beautiful ones by me, they do bark alot (I don't mind, drives my neighbor crazy!) Don't know if that is normal for the breed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000