Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 First outing with new truck and trailer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  7:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Went to work this morning and they were all talking about how it was going to be almost 70 today! So........I took off at noon and went and loaded up Pete and went to Hillsdale Lake and rode for 1 1/2 hours. Saw some friends of mine out there that I hadnt seen in a while. There were several trailers out there so I wasnt the only one playing hookie......LOL Had a great time! Pete was feeling frisky since this was his first outing in about 3 years. He needs to get back in shape, and so do I Boy am I gonna feel that ride tomorrow! Also realized that he needs a new saddle The one I have now is too narrow and was pinching his withers. I would have rode longer if it hadnt been for that. He was a gentleman and didnt complain, but I noticed it. Guess I will have to dig out the old synthetic saddle I used to use on him several years ago and use it till I get a new one. Had a great Valentines Day

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  7:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
What a way to spend Valentine's Day! So glad you had a great time with Pete! The weather was beautiful here, too...now I kind of wish I'd played hooky!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  8:21:06 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
What a great way to spend the day and I'm bet Pete enjoyed the outing too.

How did your rig handle?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  9:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Could you find a better Valentine? Don't think so....wish I could have got out with my little man!
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  12:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
PG, the rig drives really nice. I am real happy with it. I just threw the rope over Pete's neck and told him to "load up".........he jumped in like it was HIS trailer......LOL He loves to go places.

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dixiesmom

PG, the rig drives really nice. I am real happy with it. I just threw the rope over Pete's neck and told him to "load up".........he jumped in like it was HIS trailer......LOL He loves to go places.

Melissa, that sounds GREAT! When you said you went to work, found out what the weather was going to be, and took off at noon, lol... sometimes there's just no better way to do things!

You said Pete loves to go places. Well, I thought I was imagining it, but when I loaded Cloud, it was as though she did also. When we brought the trailer home, and again when she saw it getting pulled forward, both times she whinnied.

Is is possible that horses love to go places??? I thought that was just me reading human traits in, but now that you say that, the signs were sure all there.
Carol

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Wow...sounds like a dream day. Not bad for the middle of February!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  11:27:15 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
They're calling for 80% chance of thunder dunders around here, tomorrow. Oh, goody!!! More rain!!! I'm beginning to think our arena, now known as Swamp Karns, is never going to dry up!

Glad you made the great escape, Milissa, and enjoyed the day. Thank goodness Spring isn't too far away.

Oh yeah!!! It's supposed to be highs in the 20's and lows near 10 at night come this weekend. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  2:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
Melissa, it's outings like these that help us break the hum drum cycle of life and help keep us sane. I am sure you felt quite refreshed after enjoying such a beautiful day in nature. I bet there are some "haters" on the board that were not as fortunate as you to be able to just up and leave work in the middle of the day. You sure are fortunate!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
...and as the weather warms up, some prefer to skate on thin ice.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
OTW.....I definately think some horses enjoy going places more than others. Pete has always enjoyed going on trail rides and is always a perfect gentleman, especially on weekend rides.

I do feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to take an afternoon off and go enjoy the day. I wish you all could have been there too.

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  06:33:34 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dixiesmom

OTW.....I definately think some horses enjoy going places more than others. Pete has always enjoyed going on trail rides and is always a perfect gentleman, especially on weekend rides.

Well, I don't know how she'll be on group rides yet, or whether her whinnying when she sees the trailer is eagerness or if she thinks there's another horse inside it, but so far so good, the signs are right.

Cannot WAIT until I have a better grasp on what trail areas around here would be the kind of place/situation you described on your impromptu afternoon off. I haven't found which ones have ATVs and/or dirt bikes. (I do have a feeling that's going to be Cloud's weakness.)

But what a perfect thing, just decide to go, load into the trailer, and go. And then be somewhere where at least there are other horse people somewhere around.
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Do you not have any State Parks around that have horse trails? We are lucky enough to have 2 within an hour's drive. Be sure to get you permit and a map! Sometimes the trail signs get knocked over and it's always nice to have some idea where you are going. Good luck...you'll meet the nicest people there too!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000