Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Lesson with Ed Chambers tomorrow
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
Well tuesday I am going to Ed Chambers for a lesson. this is the trainer that EZ2SPOT and hmeyer so highly reccomended. I am very excited as I haven't ridden since November. I will be using one of Ed's horses tomorrow. Can't wait to get back in the saddle!
Regards

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:23:09 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
Great! You'll probably be riding either Crown or Handy. Both are big, beautiful quarter horses with great personality. Handy gave me my first lessons before Max was broke. He is Cris' horse and is her 'baby'. Tell Ed Harv says "Hey!". If you have some extra time, hang around awhile and watch Ed work some horses. They won't mind, and you will be amazed.

We were out to Ed's yesterday and my son took his 21 month old Belgian, Daisy, figuring to just do ground work. They worked her for a while in the round pen, then Ed said, "Are you ready to get on her?" My son said "Are you serious?" Ed eased her up to the fence and Adam eased onto her bareback. Ed led her around the round pen and even got her into a slow trot. Daisy did great and Adam was excited about his first ride on her -- a memorable experience. She's got a lot of growing to do still though, so he won't be riding her regularly until probably at least next year. But, at 21 months she is already 16hh and about 1400 lbs!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:41:31 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I saw Ed work with a mean spirited gelding at the Hoosier Horse Fair about 2 years ago, and I was very impressed with him and how he worked that horse. Evidently, the gelding was a rescued horse, had been badly abused, and had learned to distrust people. I'm not sure, but I don't think he'd been a gelding too long... maybe 3 or 4 months... and, I think, 4 years old. The horse was brought to him to train by his owner, a teenage girl that I'm guessing (since she was there watching) was 15 or 16 years old.

Ed would be explaining something standing beside this horse in a round pen, and then demonstration the easiest method to use on a horse with the kind of problems that one had... respecting people. Then Ed would use these techniques on the horse. The techniques would work (sometimes after 2 or 3 tries with the horse's ears flat back and his body language clearly relaying resentment toward Ed), but as soon as Ed would turn his attention back to the crowd, that horse tried to bite him and meant it. It was definitely not in play. If I remember correctly, I think he even lipped Ed's pants leg several times while thinking about grabbing Ed's leg. Anyway, it sure looked like it.

Ed kept complete control of the situation all the way through his presentation and was totally professional about everything while about 400 or 500 people were watching his every move. That gelding never got away with anything, but it was easy to see(if one knew what they were watching) that this horse was very dangerous to work around. I couldn't believe that this young teenage girl was going to show this horse in 4H, and he was her first horse! Personally, I would've sold him and gotten something a whole lot better trained and with a calmer, more laid back, temperament. This was definitely not a horse for a beginner or the faint of heart. He was the type of horse that you had to know what you were doing every second you were around him.

I went up to Ed after the demonostration was over, and complimented him highly on how he handled the situation. I'd never met him, but he thanked me for it and knew by my words and my facial expression that I was completely aware of what had happened in that round pen.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  1:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
That's a third great endorsement for ED, Red Hawk. Maybe I'll learn to be a horseman after all!
Harv, that is so cool about your son and bareback no less! Sounds like he's making great progress. Oh to be young again....
And I just love those big drafts!
Can't wait til tomorrow.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  8:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Tell Ed & Cris I said hi, too! Hope your lesson goes well, and will be waiting to hear how you did!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  5:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
Back home from the lesson. So much to think about! I really like how Ed explains things and works on fundamental stuff. We basically worked on lateral and vertical flexion and yielding the hindquarters. (all things I have done, but he gave me a new perspective)
He gave me some things to work on at home even if I can't leave the barn. I'm inspired! I plan on taking lessons once a week until the weather breaks. I really like him.
P.S. hmeyer - I rode Handy!

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Go to Top of Page

Boots
Beginning Rider

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  10:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boots's Homepage Send Boots a Private Message
Sounds like you're on the right track!

Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. Ė Ben Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000