Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Drying a mare.How long does it take?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  11:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
How many months does it normally take a mare to dry her milk up after her foal has been weaned? It has been atleast 4 months,maybe more,since April has nursed a foal but her udders are still big and full of milk.

By the way,she has gained quite a bit of weight and my cousin even rode her just a few minutes a week ago. The first time she tried her with just a halter and April didn't act like she knew what to do. Then the next day I put a snaffle on her and she did much better. She's going to need a couple weeks of refresher work once she's even fatter but I don't expect any problems out of her. I've been doing a lot of ground work with her.She has a lot more energy too and is really curious about what is going on around her lol.

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  11:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
She should be dried up by now. Are you sure she has milk? Sometimes the udder gets all out of shape and does hang down. I know one old mare that you can actually see her udder when looking at her from the side. Old girl had a lot of foals and produced a lot of milk.

Are you milking her at all to check to see if she is dried up? If so stop, if not it's not so odd. There are people that do that to check the mare but all it is doing is making it take longer. Are you sure no other horses are nursing off her. Some horses even as adults with nurse off a mare if she is willing. Cattle do the same thing. It's nothing odd to look out the window here and see one cow with two or 3 calves on her and sometimes they are ones that should have been weaning years ago!

If it's non of the above and she does have milk then you should talk to your vet about it.
Go to Top of Page

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  3:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
I am sure none of the other horses are nursing off her. I am sure it is actual milk. One day when I was brushing her she scooted her side toward me like she had an itchy spot,so I started scratching around and I noticed how big her udders were. They were firm,not saggy,like they were full of milk.I milked her out just a little bit to see if it was real milk lol and it was. Squeaker last had a foal in 98 or 99 but her udders are really relaxed but they still have a pale,almost clear liquid in them.Aprils looks like a pregnant mare's udder. She has only had two foals.Her first filly was from several years ago,when she was 6 or 7.
All the vet did was do a palpation but at the time April was still really skinny so could that have changed anything? The old owners said they were pretty sure she was pregnant because she had been with the stud all year and had never had any trouble getting pregnant before.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  01:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
So she might be bred? Call the Vet asap.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000