Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Trailer build-out... re-visited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
FIRE STARTERS:

Now when you are cleaning all that dryer lint out of your dryer filter screen (which, of course, you DO do, every time you run a load, so the thing doesn't catch fire which it can, RIGHT???)...

Instead of throwing it out, just keep sticking it into a ziplock. It wads up in any shape you want to mold it. Accumulate some until you are watching TV -- some program you don't have to glue onto. Melt wax (candle is fine) over your little wads, balled into the shapes of your choice, and when it's cool enough to handle, compress it in your fist. Presto! Fire starters for camp fires!

"Waste not, want not." (My mother's favorite saying next to...)
"Once begun is half done."
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  6:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

[quote]Originally posted by FLOOPER

Hook, the Honda generator is next on my wish list. Probably what I will use my return from Uncle Sam for.

Generator? Oh puh-leeeeze! (Only kidding.) Don't they make a ton of noise though?? I hate to ask how much they are.

On the other hand...
battery fans
PowerCat Coleman heater
Can live without the nuker
However an air conditioner in the trailer, now that would be awfully nice.

The Honda is really really quiet but not cheap. Cheap is the 6500 watt back-up generator for the house that I paid $800 for. Now IT is LOUD.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Friend of mine told me this weekend what he made for a camp shower...I thought it was pretty cool, so wanted to share.

He bought a small hoola hoop, tied three equal length pieces of poly rope to it, and ran them to up to a hook. Then he attached a cheapo shower curtain with rings all around the hoola hoop! When he's at camp, he takes the hook, lifts up the whole thing and hangs it from a tree or wherever, and there ya go...a spiffy shower enclosure!! He said it cost him all of 15 bucks. That would work pretty well in a tailer, I think!!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Friend of mine told me this weekend what he made for a camp shower...I thought it was pretty cool, so wanted to share.

He bought a small hoola hoop, tied three equal length pieces of poly rope to it, and ran them to up to a hook. Then he attached a cheapo shower curtain with rings all around the hoola hoop! When he's at camp, he takes the hook, lifts up the whole thing and hangs it from a tree or wherever, and there ya go...a spiffy shower enclosure!! He said it cost him all of 15 bucks. That would work pretty well in a tailer, I think!!!

Oh, how very droll!

Only kidding Flooper, it sounds like an xlnt idea. My only concern is how to attach it to the ceiling of a trailer. Maybe one humungously strong magnet, except you wouldn't want to pull on any part of it.

I was thinking of using a long shower curtain and attach it via several magnets to the top and the top of the wall, but maybe a hoola hoop could be rigged.

One thing... I may have mentioned I did pick up a Porta Potty at Walmart. It was only $64 (Century Passport) and its advantages are first, it is LITTLE! About 13x14 likely at the bottom, only 12 x 13 at the top, 12" tall. It has fresh water tank and an up/down knob for pumping water into it. Plus a "full" indicator for the holding tank which shows progress of filling. Smallest one I found, and it seals very well. When first using the fresh water pump it appears to be kind of stupid, just this dumb dribble of water into the bowl. But after a while I guess water gets all through the lines and it pumps out a great swirl pattern of freshwater. Also, SHOULD anyone buy it, be aware that the flush lever pulls out part way and only lowers the sealing plate. Great for liquid disposal. If you want anything else going down it, pull harder beyond the stop and the plate slides totally open. That is NOT obvious at first.

I actually called Century to ask them about that because I didn't know to pull harder. She said the model that's being sold by Walmart isn't being made anymore but only because they switched suppliers. However she said it's a great little unit and had low return rate. (Likely special purchase by WM which is why they're so inexpensive). So if you're thinking of getting one, probably should do it soon. I don't know how long they will last. But I've poked around on this thing and looked at others that are higher priced, and there's a whole lot to like about this one.

I bought 5 more of those stacked drawer/storage bin units. They were selling really fast. Special purchase, $15 each (Walmart). Super good for trailer!! But also for garage (tools, etc.) Two side by side makes a great counter for a cookstove if you want to make coffee inside the trailer in the morning, plenty big enough to support a propane stove. They do stack but not fit together so double-stacked not good for trailer. Great units, the color combination is somehow growing on me (practical usefulness goes a long way with me). But in these two cases alone (not that I havaen't found this to be the case before) with Walmart, they DO carry buy-outs, close-outs and special purchases. If you see something you like, get it. You have 3 months to debate about it if you keep your receipt. Things can be gone forever before you know it if you find something you like.
C

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  08:21:01 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper -- you seem pretty sold on the Power Cat Coleman and it looks good to me. I've also been looking at this one... Much bigger BTU but no built in fan. There's a larger model of this same one with a built in fan (goes to 18,000 BTU) but price starts getting up there. I'm comparing this one with the Coleman Power Cat.

Asking for opinions from Flooper or anyone else that has either the Coleman or this model, the quicker the better. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:06:39 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Still hoping for an answer on the PowerCat Coleman vs. the Mr. Heater Buddy (their smaller unit that goes to 4,000 BTU).

However, I'm also looking at shade things. I'd like one I could put up by myself if at all possible.

For you mechanically-inclined, rig-it-yourselfers, am I wrong or would this be easy to do with a plastic tarp from Walmart??? I like the fact that you can raise and lower various sides of this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-14-8-x-14-8-PARAWING-CANOPY-EMERGENCY-SHELTER_W0QQitemZ8755519267QQcategoryZ87128QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The tarps have a grommet every 2 feet. They're rectangular (8x10, 9x12, on up the line). This is appealing to me a whole lot more than the cost of a pre-made tent canopy because they all look like it would take at least 2 people to set it up and if you want waterproof, rotsa ruck, the price hikes at or over $100.

What would you use for poles??? Looks like you'd need two long ones and two shorter ones.

Any opinions appreciated! :-)
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I only have the Coleman ProCat...but I have heard really good things from my ice-fishing buddies about the Mr. Buddy Heater. I think either one would be great for warming up your trailer and shower area. One thing I don't do (even though they say it's okay) is leave the heater on when I'm sleeping. I only use mine to heat up the tent/trailer/whatever, and then when I go to bed turn it off. Then turn it back on in the morning. Supposedly they are safe for indoor use, but I don't want to be the one where they say, "Ohhh, dang, guess they aren't ONE HUNDRED percent safe indoors!!!

On the canopy thing, you can buy telescoping tent poles...that would give you your long and short ones. And yeah...I think you could do it with a tarp from Wal-Mart. Looks like they ran a guyline through the middle of the tarp from one of the poles to another to make it bendable, etc. I have seen a lot of tenters do that OVER their tents. they put a pole about four feet in front of their tent, then another pole about four feet in back of tent, then run a guyline between the poles, pull it tight, and put a tarp over the guyline and stake it outif it's gonna rain...keeps everything nice and dry...sorta like a tent over your tent!!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/15/2006 09:33:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

I only have the Coleman ProCat...but I have heard really good things from my ice-fishing buddies about the Mr. Buddy Heater. I think either one would be great for warming up your trailer and shower area. One thing I don't do (even though they say it's okay) is leave the heater on when I'm sleeping. I only use mine to heat up the tent/trailer/whatever, and then when I go to bed turn it off. Then turn it back on in the morning. Supposedly they are safe for indoor use, but I don't want to be the one where they say, "Ohhh, dang, guess they aren't ONE HUNDRED percent safe indoors!!!

On the canopy thing, you can buy telescoping tent poles...that would give you your long and short ones. And yeah...I think you could do it with a tarp from Wal-Mart. Looks like they ran a guyline through the middle of the tarp from one of the poles to another to make it bendable, etc. I have seen a lot of tenters do that OVER their tents. they put a pole about four feet in front of their tent, then another pole about four feet in back of tent, then run a guyline between the poles, pull it tight, and put a tarp over the guyline and stake it outif it's gonna rain...keeps everything nice and dry...sorta like a tent over your tent!!

Flooper, I pretty much decided the same thing about leaving the heater on while sleeping. Of course, I don't know how MUCH ventilation would preclude that problem from even being a problem, but there's a point of no return, LOL. Too much ventilation, you might as well close up the tent and let body heat work some.

I actually found my tent and it's a Kelty so-called 3-4 man tent (LOL, I figure they assume you're rather slim and sleep straight like a board when they give these estimates). It's 7-1/2 x 9 and center is 4'6". And that INCLUDES a vestibule. Dying now to put it up and see what it's like other than pix. But I think I'll love it, a big part of the roof is screen. It does have a fly, but "hah" about my expectations of that being waterproof. So tarp may be a good idea for over the tent.

What's a guy line, I assume just a line that goes from tent top to stake? Or from one end of tent to other? One or the other, but why do they call it a guy line? Is that because guys used to be the only ones who put them up?

WHERE do you buy extra tent poles??????? Oh, my, I could have all SORTS of fun with a variety of tent poles. Like what I want is shade right off the side of the horse trailer so my little honey doesn't have to stand in the hot sun. And over the tent potential, and maybe a makeshift canopy, although I did run across two today that really look like they'd be worth just buying. ($55 to $65 plus shipping). One is called a parawing, but I read some backpacking reviews on the Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 and their 12. They just look easy to set up and super versatile depending on winds, privacy, rain, etc.

Can you waterproof polyester? Like is there a can of waterproof spray or something that'll do that with poly or nylon? And does it gunk up the fabric if you use it?

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  7:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Tent poles (also can find them at Wal Mart during the summer)
http://store.yahoo.com/campingrus/adtenpol.html

Don't know why they call it a guy line...just have always heard it called that. What they do is put one pole up about two feet in front of tent, then one about two feet in back of tent. Then run a tight line between the two poles, and stretch a tarp out over the line...then stake tarp down on sides. The guy line should be about a foot higher than the tent to create space around tent.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  06:44:17 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

Tent poles (also can find them at Wal Mart during the summer)
http://store.yahoo.com/campingrus/adtenpol.html

Don't know why they call it a guy line...just have always heard it called that. What they do is put one pole up about two feet in front of tent, then one about two feet in back of tent. Then run a tight line between the two poles, and stretch a tarp out over the line...then stake tarp down on sides. The guy line should be about a foot higher than the tent to create space around tent.

Okay, couple of dumb questions since I've never worked with tent poles. How far do you sink them into the ground and what, you just pound on them with a hammer? How do you not beat up the top when pounding? And what makes them stay at the angle you pounded them in at when you put tension on them w/guy rope to the other pole?

Link was bookmarked, thanks much. Will also see what kind WM has when they come in.

COLEMAN HOT WATER ON DEMAND QUESTIONS:

Okay, I keep looking at these units. Several questions:
1. Can you use the pump without using the heater just to have running (cold) water?
2. If you set the hot water temp too high and want to back it off, what do you have to do to get the less-hot water coming out, drain the super hot? Or just add some cold water to your bucket and turn off the heater (or down)?
3. It talks about the water source being a 5 gallon bucket. You said you use an ice chest (this would havae a bigger volume I'd assume) as your water source. So will it heat more than 5 gallons?
4. Does the water source (bucket or ice chest) have to be higher than the pump/heater? Or lower? Or does it matter?
5. Flooper, how much do you really use this thing where just heating a pot of water wouldn't be pretty much as easy? (I'm talking about anything other than showers. For showers, I don't think any other method would be a good 2nd.)

Lots of questions, I know, I know. But be nice to me.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

LOL!! (sorry!!) You don't pound the tent poles into the ground!! They simply stand on the ground, and you brace them with either the tent, the tarp, or whatever you're building, and then guy them out with poly chord or something like that. Now...some people do dig little one inch or two inch holes for the poles to give them a better base...but unless your poles are made out of round steel pipe, I wouldn't try pounding them into the ground!!

You have to figure out how to build your structure...and quite honestly, it usually takes two people. For example, if I were going to build a tarp over my tent, I would tie a line between the tops of two poles, have a friend hold one pole at back of tent, while held pole at front of tent. Then I would attach another line to the pole I had, and guy it out. Then do the same at the other end. Once you have both poles up and braced, you can tighten all the lines up, add more guy lines for better bracing, etc. and then throw the tarp on.

Yes, the Coleman will run cold water through without heating it...I did that all the time to brush my teeth for example. Also, it heats the water as it runs through the heat exchanger, so temp changes are instant...it doesn't have a reservoir of heated water that you then have to cool off or anything. Water goes in cold, comes out hot...instantly. If you want cooler water, just turn the temp down and you get it immediately. Same with hotter water. I used it for all kinds of things other than showers...washing dishes, washing hands, washing off horses...it is very handy to have, and you will find a lot of your neighbors coming over to use it when camping!! Yes...it will heat more than 5 gallons on on cannister...can't remember how much, but it will heat quite a bit with just one cannister...but I always carry extras. You can use anything for your water supplyl (you can even buy a garden hose attachment for it), and it doens't really matter where you place it...it uses a little battery powered pump...you just drop the end of the pump hose into any container of water, and there you go. I usually just fill a cooler with water, stick the pump hose in and close the lid to keep dirt out. I set the Coleman on the picnic table at camp, and put the cooler under the picnic table. I have also put the Coleman on my tailgate, and cooler right under the tailgate. I've never had the water source higher than the Coleman, but can't see why that wouldn't work just as well. Take along extra batteries, though...cause without the pump, it doesn't work!!

PS: I also put a dish pan on the ground under the spigot of the Coleman, otherwise you will end up with a muddy mess by your picnic table.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/16/2006 10:18:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:09:15 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, geez, it's good you told me that. I thought they went into the ground! Well, you likely saved me some embarrassment, to say nothing of ruined poles. ROFL. (Ning-a-ning-a-ning). Hey, I'm sure I would have figured it out. Right???

Oh well <cough, choke>.

Hey, I have a couple of updates. First, I was all set to buy the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy because I liked its shape, and I was thinking it had a fan. It doesn't. You have to get the Big Buddy for the fan. Also good shape, but bigger. I thought.

HOWEVER, I found that there are a ton of reviews written on both, and verrrry little positive. First, complaints about the piazzo (whatever that's called) ignition. People say it quits working. Next, complaints about pretty much any breeze. Will put the heater out! Third, sometimes they just go out for fun. And last but not least, the big one had a recall (and I couldn't tell if maybe there's another one) which was for a danger reason, and some people thought they could be a fire hazard -- something in the design. A few people said they loved them, but there were just too many negatives raised.

Meanwhile, there were fewer reviews on the Coleman ProCat (not always a bad sign because people are more quick about complaining than raving), but every one of them were positive. It's not as high BTU as the Mr. Heater Buddy, but people said the way it works (fan, etc. and one guy said shape), it does the job very nicely. Interestingly enough, one of the complaints about the Mr. Heater is that it puts out too much heat and doesn't work well on low. Apparently ProCat is very reliable, people LOVE the fan, and while one said it takes longer to get the igniter to work, others said it works every time without fail. Breezes and winds don't put it out (or at least not as much). And good words were said about its shape -- not the storage and transporting of it (odd shape) but the EFFECT of the way the heat comes out.

So I ordered one. Dun deal! Since Flooper has one and others may be considering a heater, that's pretty much what I found on them. I got it for $64 including shipping. I think that's a pretty decent price.

Shade Canopy: I am totally, totally intrigued with the Kelty Noah's Tarp. I emailed the company and asked if it was waterproof (thinking it wouldn't be). He said yes it is. I also asked if it was one that one person could put up alone, and he said he thought so, with practice. (None of the others seem to stand a chance at that.) What I really like about it were (a) the fact that it can be configured a TON of different ways (and I got the impression really easily) depending on winds you want to block or rain OR privacy. Reviews came off a backpacker's website, and nothing but great things to say about it. It comes in 9-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot sizes. I do believe I'm going to get one. Shade is super important to me and I wouldn't be above sleeping under the thing if I don't want to set up a tent, and can just lower one side for privacy (or two for that matter).

Looks to me like a GREAT design!!! There's another one out there called a parawing. That's the first one I saw. I think this beats it and I read in more than one place that Kelty is GREAT about customer service.
Here's their website which tells a fair bit about it, and includes sizes, weights and a pdf file with "instructions" so you can see how to set the thing up.

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Tents.ShowProduct&type=shelters&ID=6

Okay, then I ran across what might be a FIND!!!!! This would be handy for a number of things, but where I'm going to be going horse camping, in some cases, you have to bring your own horse water and also remove manure (I'm sure that means cart it out). Well, I have tried shoveling Cloud's little (HUGE) "gift" piles into a 32-gallon trash bag on the ground, and HAH! It's a pain in the neck, and no matter how careful you are in filling it... well, let's say you want to be wearing rubber gloves before handling the top of the bag, even to tie it off.

This thing looks so COOL as a collapsible "muck bucket" to keep in the trailer. When open, it's 19 inches diameter and 24 inches tall. It holds the width of a 32-gallon black trash bag which, I believe, would loop over the top rim. And when not in use, easy to store. (Amazingly, there are several reviews on it, click "Reviews.")

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=22060&src=SRQB

Don't get excited about the price, they charge $8 PER UNIT to ship. But I still think for $19 this would be worth having for that purpose. I called and asked how much weight it would handle, the lady didn't know and her "guess" was based on what? Meanwhile, the material is like tarp material but she said heavier. But sheeesh, if you're in bear country, the thing could also be used for trash that wouldn't be that heavy, and just hoist it up into the trees "as is" with the trash bag inside tied off.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=22060&src=SRQB

Flooper, you answered all my questions about the Hot Water On Demand. The unit sounds great. It is VERY pricey! eBay sellers are asking ridiculous prices for eBay (take a look at the shipping padding). I missed a GREAT auction for a used one that had ALL the accessories -- $117 plus honest shipping. Dang, dang, dang!!! I fell asleep in front of the TV that night. Kicking myself ever since. But if I do decide to get a hot water heater and not just stay with boiling some water and keeping hot water in an ice chest, this one beats the Zodi on several counts, except price, but those "counts" count.

I will NOT look at my credit card statement, I will NOT look at my credit card statement, I will NOT look at my credit card statement...
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Flooper, your are really on the way with "On The way" in helping her to confess all her Campimg type addictions, which seems to be developing well. As Vice president of HAA confessions I think a little more emphasis on Horse Addictions part..........?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  09:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hook,
It's all inter-related. As soon as OTW buys all this camping stuff, she will realize that she needs a new trailer that's twice as big just to carry it all...and then since she's got a bigger trailer, she'll absolutely want more horses to put in the trailer and youknowtherestofthestory....

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL, actually the whole point of the way I'm going at this is so I DON'T have to buy a bigger trailer. I'm trying to rig things up so just the human stall alone and the walkway combined will serve as a shower, wash station, morning coffee cook station, toilet setup and sleeping area. And I am convinced it will. The whole idea is not a lot of time in conversion, so every unit has to lend itself to being easily moved, and having a place to be moved to. I admit I'm having fun tho.

Check this baby out!!! Rope Ratchet! I do believe this could solve my trailer loading ramp lifting problem. One on each side. Depending on how it sets up, I may not even have to weld anything to the back side of the trailer, but use the tie hooks and just attach this unit's hooks onto them. Not sure about that, but if these work like I think they will, I'll be able to pull that ramp up by myself, and CHEAP!

However, these looked like they would be of great use to anyone with a truck. Click on the videos to see how these work. Click on "Products" to see the different sizes and the weight they will handle.

Also looks like a fantastic tie-down system for in back of truck that'll hold anything secure, or a number of other uses.

http://www.roperatchet.com/video.shtml
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I hereby dub you The Undisputed Gadget Queen of The World!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  6:52:07 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

I hereby dub you The Undisputed Gadget Queen of The World!

Awwww, Flooper, gadgets are my weakness. Actually, so is finding something that just "works" for a specific purpose, ideally multi-purpose. Needless to say I have adopted a house plan from one of those house-plan magazines. Most of them are horrid, but this one was a gem. Turned the stairway around, converted two dormers into storage and tiny bathroom upstairs (upstairs is the office and storage) and turned a room off the kitchen (which happens to be visible from a number of rooms) into an indoor greenhouse, complete with cement floor that slopes in the center where a drain will go. Likely a jacuzzi in there, but mainly a little sanctuary to hide from machines.

I could play with stuff like this all day! Thank God for Al Gore having invented the internet for us. That cagey fellow.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  05:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
The Rope Ratchet will reduce the pull on your ramp by about half. If it weighs 100 pounds now you will be able to lift it with a 50 pound pull on the rope. One on each side, if you need it, would allow you to alternate from side to side and lift it with 25 pounds of effort. Sounds like a sure way to get it up by yourself. Make sure you tell Cloud about it before you start with ropey things near her back end when she is in the trailer.:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  06:51:06 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

The Rope Ratchet will reduce the pull on your ramp by about half. If it weighs 100 pounds now you will be able to lift it with a 50 pound pull on the rope. One on each side, if you need it, would allow you to alternate from side to side and lift it with 25 pounds of effort. Sounds like a sure way to get it up by yourself. Make sure you tell Cloud about it before you start with ropey things near her back end when she is in the trailer.:)

Hook, I was thinking I'd pull the two side ropes together at the same time. If necessary, turn my back on it and hook them to a cross bar I'd hold chest high and push against. Am I picturing this wrong? Can't imagine pulling one side and then the other, separately, but if that's what you meant, please explain how/why that would work.

Also the ropes would be totally away from Cloud. Once she's loaded, she's inside the trailer (butt pretty much up against the butt bar though).

I looked at the trailer, but weather was horrid so I didn't dawdle, but as I recall there's a big welded on loop on each side of the rear of the trailer. I would like it to be higher, but I think it's either even with or a little higher than the top end of the ramp/door once it's closed. I think if I can get it 7/8ths up, I can push it the rest of the way. Maybe even from a tad lower than that.

I'm actually thinking, the more I think about it, that a possibly big part of getting this ramp/door raised up is stiffness in the spring/hinge. With my escape door, which opens sideways, opening it wasn't a free-swinging swing. You had to push it. I put WD-40 in the hinges all the way from top to bottom and I think it opens and swings a little easier. That in itself could be adding bigtime to how easy this thing is to push up.

My concern about oiling it too much is... the door/ramp is meant to stop when you lower it about when it's even with the back of the trailer. Then you put weight on it (stand on it) to lower it the rest of the way to the ground. That is a feature that stops it from smashing onto your feet if you lose grip of it part way, and also so you don't have to bear the weight as you're stooping all the way down to the ground. Hopefully that would not get lost if I oil the thing.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
The beauty of this ratchet system is that it will not release until you release it. Picture tightening each side until you have to pull harder than you like. The ramp will stay up higher on that side, then you go to the other side and pull it up tight. Then repeat until the ramp is high enough that you can close it. I would suspect that you would only need one set if you and Susan can lift it together.

Go ahead and oil all the moving parts of the ramp. If it is designed to reach a balance point before it hits the ground oiling should only make it move earlier. Remember WD40 is nt a good long term lubricant as it is formulated more to penetrate rusty places. When everything is free oil it with some regular oil.

"I am not personally a real fan of ramps and if possible I would change it to a step up with doors."

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  08:34:48 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

The beauty of this ratchet system is that it will not release until you release it. Picture tightening each side until you have to pull harder than you like. The ramp will stay up higher on that side, then you go to the other side and pull it up tight. Then repeat until the ramp is high enough that you can close it. I would suspect that you would only need one set if you and Susan can lift it together.

Go ahead and oil all the moving parts of the ramp. If it is designed to reach a balance point before it hits the ground oiling should only make it move earlier. Remember WD40 is nt a good long term lubricant as it is formulated more to penetrate rusty places. When everything is free oil it with some regular oil.

"I am not personally a real fan of ramps and if possible I would change it to a step up with doors."

Okay, I see what you're saying, but I don't think this ramp is meant to raise up unevently (first one side then other) as you go, I think it's supposed to be raised pretty evenly. I believe (will have to check) but I believe there's only one center hinge and a spring on each side.

Also, why would you want to get rid of a ramp? It's really easy for the horse to walk up and down it without having to back off and step down. (???)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  07:10:17 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
FLOOPER...
I'm still looking at the Hot Water On Demand unit. One question... all the product descriptions refer to the Rechargeable Battery. I assume that's unique to the unit. Can you run it off of other batteries (D, 6V, etc.) or do you have to use THE UNIT'S rechargeable battery which I assume requires electric to recharge (or if 12V then running the truck for ?? time). If the latter, then did you buy extra Coleman batteries so you have extras that you've charged before leaving home? I haven't seen any reference to extra batteries for the unit that you can buy, but you said in a prior post "bring extra batteries." NONE of the descriptions I've seen on various websites for this product refer to anything other than its rechargeable battery. Also do you know how much the unit's extra batteries are?
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  07:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

quote:

Okay, I see what you're saying, but I don't think this ramp is meant to raise up unevently (first one side then other) as you go, I think it's supposed to be raised pretty evenly. I believe (will have to check) but I believe there's only one center hinge and a spring on each side.
Also, why would you want to get rid of a ramp? It's really easy for the horse to walk up and down it without having to back off and step down. (???)

I don't think your ramp would have only a center hinge, but I am sure there is enough flex to see-saw the door closed by lifting the door on alternate sides. Try to lift one side only and see if the other side sags just a bit. Easy to try when the weather warms up.

As for the ramp there are certainly conflicting opinions. Some horses like some ramps and some don't. Arguments about about the ability of the horse to step off the side of a ramp and get injured, others point out that the same can happen with a step up under the back of the trailer. I suspect that either method properly designed for horses is Okay. My Sundowner has a rubber barrier under the step to prevent this.I have hauled with both and I prefer the step up because I have found it easier to train young horses to step into the trailer than onto a ramp.(Looks like to me that they think it is too different, hollow sounding and well different) I have also had more luck in loading hard to load horse into a Step up trailer.

In your case I was thinking you would have no problem with closing a door compared with lifting a ramp, I am sure from your description of Cloud loading it would make no difference to her.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 02/19/2006 07:36:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,
Okay...I mislead you... I got my Coleman Hot Water On Demand out to see, and it does have a 6V rechargeable battery. It has two cords for recharging...one for regular household 110V current, and one for 12V car battery, etc. recharging. When I told you to bring along extra batteries, I was confusing the Procat Heater and the Water heater...forgot that the water heater had a rechargeable.

Anyway, I also looked in the owner's manual, and it says that one battery charge will run the unit for 40 minutes continuously...which would be one looooooooong shower! It also says you can get approximately 40 gallons of warm/hot water from one battery charge and one cannister of propane. Sounds about right to me. All I know is that I have never had to recharge the battery or run out of propane on a weekend camping trip...even using it quite a bit.

One other thing...the unit IS kind of bulky...so make sure you have room for it in your trailer, etc. But it is easy to pack and carry with the carrying case.

Hope this helps.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/19/2006 11:57:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  7:01:18 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

OTW,
Okay...I mislead you... I got my Coleman Hot Water On Demand out to see, and it does have a 6V rechargeable battery. It has two cords for recharging...one for regular household 110V current, and one for 12V car battery, etc. recharging. When I told you to bring along extra batteries, I was confusing the Procat Heater and the Water heater...forgot that the water heater had a rechargeable.

Anyway, I also looked in the owner's manual, and it says that one battery charge will run the unit for 40 minutes continuously...which would be one looooooooong shower! It also says you can get approximately 40 gallons of warm/hot water from one battery charge and one cannister of propane. Sounds about right to me. All I know is that I have never had to recharge the battery or run out of propane on a weekend camping trip...even using it quite a bit.

One other thing...the unit IS kind of bulky...so make sure you have room for it in your trailer, etc. But it is easy to pack and carry with the carrying case.

Hope this helps.

Yup, it did help Flooper. It's okay if it has a re-chargeable, I was just totally confused whether there was something in the older models that they abandoned for some reason.

Drat, I missed an auction for the Slumberjack Big Cot by 1/2 hour. I was going to come in and bid on it with 1/2 hour to spare, and it had gone off. I gotta get this 24-hour time thing memorized, and also eBay operates on PST instead of EST!

I'm still thinking about one of those tent cots however. They just look so easy, and like they'd be fun to sleep in. But egads the price!
Carol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000