Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Trailer build-out... re-visited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:53:20 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
CALLING ALL FLOOPER, CALLING ALL FLOOPER...

Hey, Flooper, you mentioned that for taking showers, you use a big tub/bin to stand in with a shower curtain around it right in the 2nd stall of your trailer. I've been all over the place on what "goodies" to buy, and as tempting as some of them are, I'm going to start as lean as I can.

What kind of tub/plastic bin did you get to stand in? I've been to Walmart and though some of theirs are huge, they just don't seem to be wide enough for a "shower floor" type setup. However it is reeeeally hard to judge from just looking at them, and people would really look at you strange if you were to be standing in one, lol.

Here's my thought, tell me if you see any problem with it. I may have gotten this from you, don't recall, but I'm picturing a plastic shower floor (a big bin), but made of a good enough (pliable) rubber so I can drill a hole in it and install a fitting for a garden hose (the drain). Then drill a hole in the wooden floor of the trailer on that stall (just big enough to feed the garden hose through).

Then since the top half of the stall wall and the ceiling are steel, attach two shower curtains, maybe via magnets -- one that would be the "shower" curtain, 4-sided enclosed. The other one would make a little enclosed dressing room, right off the shower part like an extension, but rigged so it stays dry. Can put towel, clothes, dry stuff in there.

My thinking is, if it's hot, I'm going to want both escape doors open, so this would give you privacy in shower and also a little dressing room.

Those push-down suction cup combo hooks are fantastic, I have two of them in my own shower for drying towels. Those and a very small hanging shower caddy would work for in the shower, as well as in the little dressing room for clothes, towel, etc. And can be removed easily if ever transporting a 2nd horse.

In other words, I don't want any extensions (hooks, etc.) in the 2nd stall, but want it to function as shower, dressing room, wash-up room and likely keep the porta potty in the dressing room to set things on. Also would be a good place to put the little wash basin on so it's not on the floor (could sit on one of those nifty little fold-away step stools, which I bought for camper and WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD!

For taking just a sponge bath (just washing up in the morning) I'm thinking just a plastic rubbermaid type dish pan, whereupon I could stick a big funnel (likely gasoline type) in the drilled hole on the floor and just dump the basin water out.

For front of trailer, you were talking about running slat type boards from one vertical beam to the other so stuff could be hung onto the board(s). I was thinking it would be really nifty to attach a 1x6 or 1x8 there but with those sturdy hinges built so you can swing the thing up into horizontal shelf and lock it into position, but then collapse it back down so it's flush with the front wall. It would be minimally in your way when collapsed, but would make a nice little "vanity" shelf with a mirror over it. Or maybe some sort of slide-on bracket so the wood slats only have two bracket receivers on them if the shelf isn't being used.

Those are my thoughts on outfitting it so far in simplest way and so the space is not "dedicated" to any one purpose. As far as the human stall goes, one could actually just sleep in it also if it's colder than ideal tent temperature (or windy or rainy). Just have the raised floor Stormie was suggesting with the vertically placed 1x4 wedged in between the raising plywood and the stall divider so that "human use" stall is never contaminated by roll-over ("moisture") or kick-over shavings. In other words, that whole stall would be set up to function as a bathroom, shower or sleeping area, or just storage.

Any thoughts (or expansions) on the above ideas would be much appreciated, but I would super much like to know what kind of bin you got for your little shower floor that you put in your stall for showers. Is it shallow? Or did you cut it down to be shallow?

Also! Walmart had TWO Zodi "Hot Shower" water heaters. The guy said they just order a couple at a time. They were $100. I bought one because I wanted to look at it and see how it works. The box says nothing about temperature control, only that it will heat water to 100 degrees in x seconds or whatever. I also don't see a swing-out faucet on it like the Coleman Hot Water On Demand that you have shows. How important are those two things -- the swing-out faucet and the heater's water temperature control? Your unit runs $167 on Cabela's (ebay ones sell for right around there) and you also have to buy the shower hose/head unit and carrying case separately. I think with shipping, talking right around (or over) $200. Big difference in price between the two units, but if those two features are important things you really cherish when "out there," then on the long term it would probably be worth buying that unit instead of the Zodi. If you know anyone who has the Zodi (there are 1-burner and 2-burner, this is the 1-burner) then you may have seen it in operation too.
Thanks in advance,
Carol

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

You're going for a setup a lot more sophisticated than mine! I just bought a ol' laundry sink/tub with a drain in it at a garage sale, cut down the sides and cut off the legs to make it easier to get in, and then bought a cheap "camp shower" curtain thingy that I hang from a hook to the trailer ceiling or tree branch. I didn't drill any holes in the floor of the trailer...I just let the water run out as it may...and I wear flip flops for getting in and out of trailer. Pretty simple, but works okay for me. I set the Coleman water heater outside the camp shower curtain, and just bring the shower head in by hand...a little awkward, but hey, this is camping.

I have heard lots of good things about the Zodi. They are supposed to be very, very good. I like the faucet for washing hands, dishes, etc. The temp control is important so you don't get burned, but I would imagine the Zodi has some sort of temp control, otherwise you couldn't really use it. I've heard if you get the Zodi to get the 2-burner, as the 1-burner's don't heat the water fast enough...but I have no personal experience with either. I got my whole Coleman package used on ebay with the tote bag, showerhead and hose, and heater for $125.00. If you keep watching, you will probably find one on ebay.

Also, one other idea for you shower "floor". A friend of mine bought a small, hard-plastic (not the blow-up kind) kids round swimming/wading pool, and drilled a whole bunch of holes in the floor of it. That's what he uses...it gives him lots of room and he loves it....and he found a preetty small one. But he also has an enclosed trailer, so all he has to do is block off the windows...where I would have to find something big enough to go all the way around it...that's why I go with the cut down laundry sink. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-288-laundry-tubs/poly-laundry-tubs--609191.aspx

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/07/2006 10:39:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks Flooper, I looked at the link. I'm thinking of just using one of my big honker Rubbermaid thingies. But would like to see the kid's wading pool also.

The reason I'm going just a tad more elaborate (drilling hole in floor) is because I want to be able to use the 2nd stall for other things... storage, and maybe in some cases sleeping in it. So I wouldn't want the floor to get as wet as it would without a drain of that much water to the outside. I don't think it will be hard. I spent a year up in the mountains, living in a trailer I picked up (28-foot x 8 foot old beastie that some musicians had gutted out so it was one big room). I had no running water, electricity, plumbing, nada. I installed a wood stove in it and at a junk yard bought a ton of old license plates and signs that I sewed together with wire to create dead air space around the wood stove. A friend of mine told me to get some big trash barrels (plastic, 32-gallon) and he poked a hole in the bottom of them and fit in a hose fitting that didn't leak. I ran the hose from the trash barrels (which were set higher than the trailer) and got running water that way. Cold, of course, I heated it on a big stove (old Gaffers & Satler gas stove that converted to propane with an orifice hole tightening -- built for either).

The drain setup worked great, which is what made me think of drilling a hole in the wood floor. If I can drain the thing then there would be zero water on the floor, assuming I kept the shower curtain inside the tub thing. Ideal would be shallow, about ten inches high, maybe 15, and maybe 34 inches square or round. Diameter.

But OH MAN, did I run across some neat stuff at Walmart! You said you tent. Well, I will be also, but also would like an easy-reach light inside each door of the trailer (steel). Ooo, oooo, oooooo! I ran across a Coleman "Tent Light." Well, it has the strongest magnets on the back of it I've ever seen. (Battery operated and a really nice light, not fluorescent-y, and bright enough to be worth something.) Well, this is so simple that it's clever. They provide a metal bracket that doesn't screw into a thing. You position the bracket on the outside of your tent, and line up the magnet-backed light on the inside. Smack-o! The magnetic field goes right through the fabric, so you can stick this light anywhere on your tent you want. Not on a steel frame part, not necessary. Right on the fabric. What a NEAT THING!!!!!

Also, FOR ANYONE WITH HORSES or camping or a truck where you need to tie things down OR a garange where you want to hang tools, walmart (forgot which department) also had a package of two things called KwikTwist. Remember those Gumby toys? A stick figure made of rubber with some sort of bendable wire buried inside so you could bend the arms and legs any way you wanted, a zillion times over? Twist them, etc.??? Well, this is that same material. It looks like a rubber rope, except it is stiff. You can tie a sleeping bag into a roll with them (each one is 30 inches long) and instead of tying knots, you just twist the ends tight. They stay!!

Well, to make it even better, each end of these things has a cap. You take off the cap and inside there's a screw end (receiver on one side, prong/screw end on the other). You can screw these things together to lengthen them and get a really long tie (60 inches).

Oh man are THOSE going to come in handy.

Now for the topper. They are rigid and stay rigid in any way you bend them. You can follow them along any surface and bend them to mold to it, and they stay in that shape.

WITHER TRACINGS!!!!!!!!!! Non-fail wither tracings!!! Omigod, these are GREAT! I'm going to get more of them. They look strong as can be. Just a super practical gadget that looks like it's going to be absolutely worth its weight in gold for tying things into the bed of the truck, tying stuff to trailer, securing things IN trailer so it doesn't knock around when you're underway. You can hang feed buckets off of them, they're strong enough for that. Tie horse to trailer with just a twist. The fact that they will bend so readily (but still hold their shape) you can wrap them around something into a coil. Just amazing little units!

Oh, I had fun today, to the tune of about $200 worth. However I bought some stuff I will be returning.

One of those was YOUR SUGGESTION about getting a propane operated little catalytic heater. I bought two of them, one 1500 BTU (looks like the heater only goes straight up, vertical, so you'd have to be over it). Wasn't sure about that configuration or the strength of the heat, so also bought the bigger one -- 3000 BTU which focuses the heat sideways.

Which kind and strength do you have for inside your tent?? Both packages say they are for heating tents. The bigger one was twice the cost of the littler one -- somewhere around $25 and $45 or something. Would also be a neat thing to bring into trailer for showering or whatever.

Does anyone have any idea where in the world you can buy just magnets??? For sticking shower curtains or other curtains temporarily in place in a steel trailer or for that matter onto the fridge or whatever? Just the magnets? But strong ones???

I"m getting dangerous in stores.

Also bought a very cheap canope, about 12 x 12, $15.00. Not waterproof obviously, but shade. Comes with poles and guy ropes with stakes. Canopes/screen rooms run all the way up into the hundreds, but I figured shade for horse (assuming the guy ropes allow some sort of entry without tangling) or for humans.

And an aluminum 5-foot table $30 but really lightweight. Will set it up I have a feeling it's going to be wobbly, but giving up my lust for one of those free standing camp kitchens (cheapest is $50). Well, maybe not entirely, lol. They're really neat!

I am having fun but sheesh, one can sure burn through the money with little goodies, that's for sure.
C
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  8:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW
You are having too much fun! I've got several of the Coleman tent lights...they ARE great...and you're right, those magnets are super strong. Will have to check out the gumby things...they do sound useful. My heater is the Coleman ProCat 3000 btu model...it actually has a built-in fan and blows the heat around...very nice. Only thing I don't like about it is the smell...but it sure will take the chill off a tent in the morning...also great for drying out a damp tent, etc.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:57:40 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oh, I am, I am! ROFL. Two trips to Wally World and it's getting like Christmas as a kid. The heater I bought I just looked at (the larger 3000 BTU one, the other one is still in the car). This one is called Coleman PerfecTemp EventCat. Looks like Coleman is into cat things for catalytic. Describe your PRoCat? This one appears from the box photo to be like the heater (round) is mounted on a triangular base, tripod style but stable, with the canister appearing to come off the back of it. It SAYS it should go 7 hours on a 16-oz. can of propane. I think it was right around $45 or so. Does that sound similar to yours?

The gumby things are great. I looked at them again. Haven't put them to use yet, but I've been wanting to do a wither tracing on Cloud and man, I just can't think of anything that would be more perfect than these things. They are fat (1/2 inch), soft rubber so not a hard piece fo wire, and when you bend/mold them to something they stay put. I'm thinking I should take them down to the tack shop in town (all English unfortunately) and they should stock these for people wanting wither tracings, I can't think of anything else that would be more accurate including Wintec's measuring device that sells for $20 something.

Today was a stroll down the aisles and sniff around kind of shopping trip where you take your time and just look at stuff. (That can be dangerous!)

As for the tent light, it says on the package to be careful not to get a finger between the magnets and that backing piece that goes on the outside of your tent. Well, I can attest to that, I ALMOST got one caught between them. Wowza, that magnet setup is strong. I got it within an inch of the backing plate and it was sucking down hard, and then pretty soon SNAP! It was like dealing with a mouse trap, lol.

Going to get two more of those so I'll have two in the trailer (one inside each door) and one for in the tent. They are terrific little lights for trailer and/or camping in general.

Hmmm, just re-reading your post, I don't think my heater has a fan. Will open it tomorrow and try it out. A fan would be important. When did you buy yours... how long ago, do you recall?
C
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

I got mine a couple of years ago...don't remember what I paid for it. They really will run for 7 to 8 hours on one cannister. I usually don't run mine all night long. I keep it near my cot, and turn it on in the morning to take the chill out of the tent. Also good for ice fishing huts, keeping feet warm at outdoor events, and as emergency heater for house, car, etc. I love mine. Here is mine:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053A751&categoryid=3000

Here are reviews of it:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Space_Heaters-Coleman_ProCat_Portable_Catalytic_Heater_with_Electronic_Ignition_5053A751/display_~reviews

Don't know if you go to epinions much...but they have reviews of almost everything, and can be very helpful in making buying decisions. I go there all the time.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/08/2006 09:19:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

OTW,

I got mine a couple of years ago...don't remember what I paid for it. They really will run for 7 to 8 hours on one cannister. I usually don't run mine all night long. I keep it near my cot, and turn it on in the morning to take the chill out of the tent. Also good for ice fishing huts, keeping feet warm at outdoor events, and as emergency heater for house, car, etc. I love mine. Here is mine:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053A751&categoryid=3000

Here are reviews of it:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Space_Heaters-Coleman_ProCat_Portable_Catalytic_Heater_with_Electronic_Ignition_5053A751/display_~reviews

Don't know if you go to epinions much...but they have reviews of almost everything, and can be very helpful in making buying decisions. I go there all the time.

Flooper, it's looking awfully good. I don't use epinions enough actually. I will do that more, thanks for the reminder.

I haven't tried out the one I bought (not going to even open the 1500 BTU one). Will fire it up and just see how it is. However, the fan and the electric ignition are two great features.

I'm pretty sure I will go with it. eBay has them, some are priced as high as Coleman's website. May run across a used one on eBay, but I think with something like a heater (propane powered) that's going to be on in a tent, I'd almost rather just pay retail.

Looks like another great suggestion from Flooper!!! :-)

I did open up the $29.17 aluminum table I bought at Walmart (sob, it's to be in place of one of those cute, handy looking stand-alone kitchen setups). I think it's a keeper. Not super sturdy but not at all as wobbly as I'd figured it would be. Only weighs 13 lbs. and a breeze to set up. Table top is what appears to be mason board. Weight limit is 130 lbs "evenly distributed." Pretty darned easy to carry, set up, cheap, not too wobbly... hey, for camping could be a neat alternative with multi-purpose uses. It's big! 53 inches x 30 wide, folds in half, only a couple inches thick, handle on the top for carrying.

So putting my simple little setup together piece by piece. Thanks for the help!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:01:25 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
OMG, just went to Cabela's and here is the exact table I bought. They are selling it for $59.95 PLUS shipping. Sheeesh, Walmart had it for $29.17. Same thing, same size, same top, same everything.

Well, so much for Cabela's if I can find it at Wallyworld. Less than half price even WITHOUT shipping?????

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0006716512775a&navCount=1&podId=0006716&parentId=cat20148&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20148&hasJS=true
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  8:29:35 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Discovery, discovery! Yesterday while at WM there was a stack along the entrance wall of what I thought were rather ugly plastic units -- a frame with two big drawers in it. The frame is hunter green, and the drawers are deep pink. (Huh?) But they looked very handy and the senior greeter who makes sure people don't steal things said he bought one, then another one for grandkids' toys. They were on sale for $15 each. So I bought one, thinking if I didn't use it in the trailer, I could in the barn.

Well, I did some space planning for human stall and walk-through today, and this thing was still in the van. I went to get it and dang, this little thing is going to be GREAT! It's only 17-1/2" wide, 22" long but 27" tall. No wasted space, the frame is simply a way to stack big plastic bins without messing with lids or pulling a bottom one out from whatever's on top. The bins remove entirely out of the frame (handles on both sides to use as carry baskets), and you can also pull them out front or back while in the frame. (Back end has a stopper which is great, but you can get past it with minimal hassle.) And it weighs nothing. Yet it's sturdy as all get out. The way it's designed, even if you had heavy stuff in the drawers, it wouldn't put any stress on the frame.

GREAT for tack room or barn also, but particularly for a trailer dressing room or walkway. Bins (drawers) are 15" wide, 19" long, 11" deep INSIDE measurements so they can hold a lot. Solid sides, not like a laundry basket with holes. Can carry them one at a time from house to trailer, then just slip them into the frame.

Best part for trailering... The bins are a tad narrower at the bottom than at the top. Bailing twine could EASILY be doubled through any corners of the frame, front and back (or each side) to secure the whole unit to a trailer wall so there's no shifting underway. Really great for clothes and/or tools inside the trailer and another one would be super handy outside to keep cooking stuff and food in. (To "waterproof" it for outside, a heavy duty, 2 mil contractor's trash bag will fit over the whole unit or else drop the unit into the contractor's bag and tie it off at the top. Can keep it bug free.

You can lift the whole unit, drawers full and all, and as long as you can carry its weight, the whole thing can be stowed into back of truck or trailer for transport.

Plus, you also get a table top out of it for setting things on. (Top is very sturdy and could easily be used for added counterspace when cooking in addition to being a great way to store cooking stuff.)

So the ugly duckling becomes a huge camping/trailering find! Definitely worth mentioning for organizing/camping. Or for grooming brushes, boots, etc. in the barn.
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
You have to be the most clever and resourceful person I know and Flooper must be related somehow....I have learned so much from just reading all your posts....keep up the good work. You guys are gonna make me look pretty clever too with all of these good ideas! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Just sniffin' out things that fit trailering problems, lol. My space is really limited, and anything that can be secured (tied down to a wall) in a horse trailer AND stow gear AND be small in size for the purpose it serves AND/OR serve several purposes (e.g., storage and double as a place to set things while getting dressed or putting something together) is what I'm after at this point.

I've abandoned a lot of the "nifty" stuff Cabela's has that requires setup/breakdown and am now trying for things that serve several purposes without taking up too much room or juggling or time.

My goal now: To want for nothing while horse/camping AND have things well organized and easily moveable from trailer to camping area (and back again) BUT not have loose stuff flying around underway. If you have living quarters, even a small dressing room, that isn't as critical, but my only storage or privacy or inside working space is the 2nd stall and the walkway, so nothing in there can be sliding across floor and spook horse underway. I also want to be able to EASILY move stuff (once at camp) from horse stall to walkway or outside in case I want to sleep in the 2nd stall. Also want good lighting wherever I want it (and be able to move it). Basically I'm looking to be able to convert one little area into shower/bathroom, dressing area, sleeping area and be able to convert it from one to the other by simply moving two or three things.

I admit, I get pretty excited when I find something that works in all those ways so we're talking "kid at Christmas time" whenever I stumble across something that super-works. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Beccajane...I agree...I think OTW is the Resourceful Queen! (I've heard EZ2Spot is the same way!!) Anyway, I am starting to think OTW and I might be related! For those who have an interest in camp gadgets and such, here is a thread from a camping forum where people list their "Love/Hate" favorite camping stuff. Fun reading if you're into camping.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15905212.cfm

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  5:36:54 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, if y'all really are serious, then thank you heaps for the nice words. I was getting afraid that I'd been boring you all to death with my little "discoveries." I guess you can tell, I really get into things, lol. To show you how obsessive this personality seems to be (which I didn't design, I just live with it), I played with a couple paper layouts this morning. Now some people would find that strange, but I swear, I've found that you can go camping two ways -- one where you know where things are and you can do pretty efficient space conversions (if space is as tight as mine will be), and another where you are constantly getting delayed looking for stuff. I've done the latter and it actually took a lot of the fun out of it. Couldn't find this, couldn't find that, just a disaster in time/motion waste.

When I do THIS camping (horse/trails) I will be working out of a very small space and I really want to be able to use my limited spaces for multi purposes. And have it be efficient enough so the energy I do spend can be with Cloud, not screwing around with things that take twice the time they should.

I clicked on your thread and just the title alone has me slathering, lol. I will be reading THAT for sure! Thanks a lot for posting it.

Anyone know what kind of store carries "serious" magnets? Not talking about refrigerator magnet disks, I'm after something with grip. Picturing about an inch square, and guessing about 3/8" thick. And I mean guessing, that may be a finger cruncher. But I want something pretty close to that effect. Never looked for just magnets before.

Also (calling on all women particularly) several years ago I was in SOME store (could be bed bath & beyond or linens & things or ???????) where they had TONS of kitchen and bathroom stuff with magnets. One I have is an expanding towel rack. The thing will go from about a foot in length to about three. Super strong magnets on each end and I use that thing a LOT in my kitchen. Anyone recall a store that carries a reasonable variety of magnetized gadgets???
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  6:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

Ain't google wonderful! Scroll down and they have some nice 1.5" and 2" thick magnets that would probably hold darn near anything.

This place also has magnets...just about any kind you want. Scroll to bottom of page and take a look at coat hanger style ones...the ones with the big flat magnet with a coat hood on them. I have a couple of them in my garage on metal lockers, and they are VERY darn strong...would probably work as bridle hooks in you trailer.

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_Pages/hksclmps.html/url]

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/09/2006 6:22:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
OTW...I don't think you are boring...I just want to get the camping spot NEXT to you and the ideal would be BETWEEN you and Flooper! ;) I haven'treally thought too much about all this stuff, but we are planning on camping some this summer and my riding buddy will be SO impressed when I pop up with some of these nifty little ideas! And Flooper..I can't wait to check out the link!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  9:52:52 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, thanks for the links! I googled magnets twice and didn't find what I was looking for. These look like they will have it. Thanks a bunch!

Becca, add to your list a Zapper. It looks like a badminton racket, there are wires that go from side to side, about 3/8" apart. It's bttery operated and you hold down the button and just wave it where your pesky mosquito is hovering around. It will spark and fry. Though the blank spaces bewteen the wires is much bigger than any mosquito, the field it creates seems to draw them into the closest wire. I've even used it on bees. It carries quite a whollop! But totally indispensible if you're going to sleep and you start hearing that incessant bzzzzzzzzz.
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  11:49:03 AM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
The memories this post is bringing back!!!

When I first started, my girlfriend had a truck, and a 2 hrs bumper pull, with mangers & tack under them. No walkway or such.
We both camped out in her rig, next to those with campers and such!

You havent mentioned your bed setup yet. I will tell you what worked for me anyway. I was in the drivers side stall, and my friend was in the cab of the truck. I got the better deal I figure! LOL
I got ahold of one of those 3 way lounge chairs, everyone had them for suntanning in the 70"s. They are the kind that fold over in 3rd's. Mine is canvas covered,aluminum frame. They are multi position, and go flat,or each end will go up or down.
Then place a foamy or single air mattress on top, and you have luxury!
Also gives you storage underneath. We would pull into camp, and I would just knock the sawdust over to the wall, and set up in min. If stall was real messy, after picking, I would bag sawdust, and pull the mat out the door.

For showering, we just didnt bother, unless it was more than a weekend ride. Sponge bath on shorter trips.
Head bowl, handy thing!
This item is simply a salad bowl from the dollar store. It is the deepest one you can get, so you could sink your head in it, to wash your hair. This can be done on a trailer fender, or tailgate.

I have one of those black shower bags. It is like those collapsible, square plastic water jugs, but with a hose & shower/head/fitting on the end. Black, so you can put it in the sun, before you ride, and if it is hot out, it will heat up.

I simply cranked up the front end of my tailer,(once I graduated to my first trailer) so water would run out the back door, and showered at the rear of the pass stall.

Another "solar" way to warm water. Canadian wal mart has reliance water jugs, 2 kinds. I have found the taller, narrower (about 6 in wide) rectangular shaped ones, kinda turquoise in color, if left in the sun, will warm up very nicely! (accidental discovery!)

Dont forget to see, how you will get in/out, when showering. Because of the latch setup on mine, I had to open the slider window, and reach outside to the escape door handle, to let myself out. My friends trailer, you had to leave a door adjar, or get someone to let you out. No latches inside on either. Just a thought.

For extra storage, I got myself one of those truck boxes, that sit behind the cab, with lids on either end. Mine is plastic, so I dont consider it secure, even though it locks.
In it I keep lots of stuff, but most importantly:
oil
water
tranny fluid
brake fluid
powersteering fluid
the old belts off my truck, that I replaced
screwdriver with bits in handle,
elec tape
DUCT TAPE
small amout of wire.
wrench.

Even if you cant repair something, having these things my make the difference, as someone else my be able too.

One other thing, my friend did as you are doing in the first trailer.
The horse had been hauled in that trailer for 8 yrs.
One trip, a lid came off something,(cant remember, rubbermaid cont, or plastic garbage lid or something)
Anyway, lid was on the floor, and made its way under horses feet.
Ever since, he has been a "scrambler" in any straight haul trailer.
wierd thing is, he rides fine in an angle haul, which owner had to buy, as he never did settle back down to riding nicely in the straight haul.
Wierd but true.
Just a heads up, to make double-sure you have everything secured.

Gotta go, will add more as I think of thiings. :)

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
If you can afford a slightly taller-than-average cap on your truck, it makes a great place to camp. I just inflate my air mattress, throw down my sleeping bag & pillow on top of it and "Wha la!(accent on the "la"), my home away from home. I also take along extra blankets in case it gets cold or a single bed sheet to cover up with if it's too hot for a sleeping bag. I also make sure my truck cap has louver or crank-out side windows to let in air, again, if it's hot.

And if you have electric available at your camp site, just bring a 100' extension cord and a space heater or a window fan depending on the weather.

That reminds me: When I was showing, I was traveling with my dog, Angel. Anyway, it was supposed to be cold that night, so I set up my trusty space heater near the tailgate inside the cap(also make sure if you do this that the heater is clear of anything that could catch fire!). Well, the heater kept shutting off too soon, and I'd get cold. So, I cranked it up and went to sleep, nice and warm.

The next thing I know, the whole truck is shaking like an earthquake is going on! I wake up, half asleep, when it dawns on me the shaking is Angel panting to beat the band where she's laying right up against me, and I'm totally drenched in sweat! The heater was keeping us warm, all right. The problem was it'd never turned off! Talk about frying in your own camper! So, I had to get out of bed and turn it down just a wee bit. And we were compfy for the rest of the night.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:35:29 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Mtn, those are some excellent ideas. What I'm planning to do is pretty much haul just one horse. (She's enough, lol!) The other stall is going to be used for transporting "stuff" and once there, it will be convertible space. At night, if I don't put up tent, it's where I would sleep. I don't have the cot, at least haven't bought one yet. I have a ThermaRest LE camp mattress -- self inflating, 2 inches thick and very comfortable. I was planning on putting plywood down on that side to raise it slightly over the height of the horse stall, and then just the camp mattress on that. Sleeping bag and down pillow, that's it! Porta potty I bought is very small, it can be in the end of the stall at night.

During the day that space can be converted, depending on whether trying to take a shower in it or just store stuff. Trailer has a front walkway that's 37 inches deep x width of trailer. That will be a wash basin area, etc., and if cold and drizzly, I have a setup where I could make coffee there.

Everything, bar none, is easily moveable from/to stall. If I need more room, I will just sweep the bedding from the FRONT of the horse's stall (where no "droppings" would be in any event unless she drools, lol) and will be putting a 2-drawer setup in there.

For travel, underway, everything will be totally battoned down tight into the human stall so nothing can roll or transfer or shift. The stalls are wood from horse's breast bar height on down. I will have some screws or screw-eyes (also removeable should I want to transport a 2nd horse for some reason). During transport, walkway will serve as a feeding manger so she can munch underway.

Fortunately the doors DO open from the inside. The front window is louvered but the two side windows I haven't figured out how to open yet. They slide, but just really weird how the handles are placed. (Latch is on inside yet slider handle is on outside). I'm sure there's a reason for that which I'm just not getting.

Storage of items not huge (clothes, personal items, grooming stuff, first aid stuff, food, etc. are all now looking like they will be in the slide-in drawer/baskets I mentioned above. The whole unit can be picked up as one and secured to the side wall, so these are meant to be useful in "multi-tasking" the space.

I will definitely look for those Reliance jugs you mentioned!!! And the behind-seat storage box for the truck. There is one there, but it's very narrow and shallow. I know that space could have a better use! Thanks for mentioning it and including what you keep in it, those all sound like useful items, and I hadn't thought that far yet. :-D
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
mtn rider--great stories and memories!!! And some great ideas. Man, makes me want to get out and camp!!!

Here is absolutely the best, most comfortable cot I've ever slept on. Put your Therma rest on it, put a singe flannel fitted sheet over both, and you will sleep like a baby.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7600&memberId=12500226

Easy to set up and pack, too. Built really, really well.

Another one of my favorite new camp inventions--the wax and sawdust "FireStarter" sticks...you can start your campfire fire quick, easy, and anywhere with them!!! Beats the heck out of kindling and paper!! I love 'em!!!

PS: If you're trying to stay warm, don't use an airmattress--they actually pull heat away from your body into the air in the mattress. Use what OTW has--a Therma rest or some other cell formed mattress. You can also put a cell-formed mattress over you air matress and get the best of both worlds.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/10/2006 1:00:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  6:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

mtn rider--great stories and memories!!! And some great ideas. Man, makes me want to get out and camp!!!

Here is absolutely the best, most comfortable cot I've ever slept on. Put your Therma rest on it, put a singe flannel fitted sheet over both, and you will sleep like a baby.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7600&memberId=12500226

Easy to set up and pack, too. Built really, really well.

Another one of my favorite new camp inventions--the wax and sawdust "FireStarter" sticks...you can start your campfire fire quick, easy, and anywhere with them!!! Beats the heck out of kindling and paper!! I love 'em!!!

PS: If you're trying to stay warm, don't use an airmattress--they actually pull heat away from your body into the air in the mattress. Use what OTW has--a Therma rest or some other cell formed mattress. You can also put a cell-formed mattress over you air matress and get the best of both worlds.

Flooper, amazing, I was just looking at cots online! I've been not even thinking of a cot because I doubt one would fit in my human stall, but this one JUST would, with a whopping 2-1/2 to 3 inches left over on the side before I hit the divider, lol.

So you say this is comfortable, what about it is comfortable beyond other cots? I have zero experience with cots except as a kid, and all I remember about them is that they wiggled around if you rolled over and the center had a bar that not only could you feel even with a mattress on it, but also it was higher than each end, maybe only by a tad, but enough to make you feel like an inverted banana after sleeping in it all night. Either those two issues or any other reasons why you like this one, can you elaborate?

I still haven't tried erecting my tent yet, but am really thinking that for just overnighters (and there may be a fair number of those) I may not want to deal with a tent. At the same time, what's fun about camping among other things is sleeping outside. There are just sounds and stuff that you miss when enclosed. (It's what I liked about my camper -- fully screened in beds.

I saw this thing but thought it wasn't something I'd really... not sure. I just kind of passed it by thinking it was neat BUT...

Now I'm giving it a whole second look. Opinions??

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0034805516987a&navCount=7&podId=0034805&parentId=cat20146&navAction=jump&cmCat=catfeatcamp&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20146&hasJS=true
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  07:48:59 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message

Re: Propane Bottles - Telling how full they are

I was just reading reviews on camping equipment at epinions.com (thanks for the reminder Flooper) and some guy did a whole review on propane as a fuel. He said it doesn't work in really cold weather (don't know what "really cold" means, but down to 40 seemed okay). However, he said the way to tell how much propane you have left is to run hot water down the side of the canister. Then feel it with the bottle upright. Where the propane stops, you will feel a temperature difference in the outside of the canister. I just tried it out of curiosity, and think my canister is too empty, the bottom was cooler but I couldn't tell where the difference was and my household water doesn't get very hot.

If someone has a half empty canister, could you try this just for fun? It could be super handy to know about how much propane you have left.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  08:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Just to complicate things, how many of you use an portable electric generator to help. We have a 2000 watt honda generator that we use to run a microwave, electric fry pan, kettle coffe maker and fan if needed. Thinking about a small air conditioner for the gooseneck this year. Am I spoiled or what?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hook, the Honda generator is next on my wish list. Probably what I will use my return from Uncle Sam for.

OTW...the reason the cot is so comfortable is that it doesn't have that "bar in the back...it doesn't wobble, and is extra wide so you can actually stretch out a bit. It's very, very stable. It's also nice and firm, NOT saggy at all. I love it.

Hey...that tent-cot thing is kinda cool, and I could see where you could use it in a trailer (like a stock trailer or something) to keep the bugs out, etc. Personally, I'd rather have a nice dome tent that I can stand up in...and for that price, you could get a pretty decent one. I have a Eureka Titan tent, which is a 10 man tent...so for just one person, it's like having your own hotel room. And it was the only tent that big I could find that I could put up by myself. Can do it in 10 minutes!!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 02/11/2006 09:56:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Speaking of fire starter, Doritos nacho chips work well!

I learned this one during a very non-serious packing competition.
All entrants were informed that cheating as well as bribery were to be encouraged! (esp where the judges were concerned)
Our judge recieved a chair to sit on, some "special" coffee, as well as a massage, while sipping said coffee!
Cant remember if we won that year or not,,,,

We had to pack a horse & mule, one rider had to ride out with a cup of coffee in hand, towing pack mule, around a course & back. Then left over coffee (which was actually water) was measured. Mule was to be unpacked, a fire was to be started, coffee made for the judges to drink, (year before it was cooking an egg) then fire was to be put out, and area cleaned up to "leave no trace" standards.
Laughed my head off last year, when a wonmen on the other team, after cleaning up the fire, ran & grabbed a wet cow pie,with her bare hands, and covered the fire spot with it!
Its an annual event, always hilarious!

Sorry, back to topic, yes, Doritos work. But a warniing.
When you watch all the grease light up, it may put you off eating quite so many in future! LOL

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:45:24 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

Hook, the Honda generator is next on my wish list. Probably what I will use my return from Uncle Sam for.

OTW...the reason the cot is so comfortable is that it doesn't have that "bar in the back...it doesn't wobble, and is extra wide so you can actually stretch out a bit. It's very, very stable. It's also nice and firm, NOT saggy at all. I love it.

Hey...that tent-cot thing is kinda cool, and I could see where you could use it in a trailer (like a stock trailer or something) to keep the bugs out, etc. Personally, I'd rather have a nice dome tent that I can stand up in...and for that price, you could get a pretty decent one. I have a Eureka Titan tent, which is a 10 man tent...so for just one person, it's like having your own hotel room. And it was the only tent that big I could find that I could put up by myself. Can do it in 10 minutes!!

Okay I'm going to see if I can find one of these at a camping store and try it (your cot). The more I think about it the more I don't think I want to sleep on the floor in the trailer.

The tent cot, what can I say, it just looked like an easy setup. However, if you have to get up in the night, you'd have to get all dressed to take care of business. Not so in a tent if you have a little portapotty in there. So to that extent, I agree.

Your tent sounds huge. I must set mine up (hoping it's obvious because I don't know where instructions are). And hoping it can be set up by one person.

Tent-cot thing tho just looks "way cool" as my daughter says. Jury's out at this point but there are just things I really like about it. ;-)

Generator? Oh puh-leeeeze! (Only kidding.) Don't they make a ton of noise though?? I hate to ask how much they are.

On the other hand...
battery fans
PowerCat Coleman heater
Can live without the nuker
However an air conditioner in the trailer, now that would be awfully nice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000