Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 Arabian Saddle/half quarter horse bars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  06:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
I have read that you can use a saddle that has half quarter horse bars for an Arabian. I know that saddle I have now most likely isn't an Arabian saddle but I am looking into maybe getting Breezy a new saddle but I am looking for maybe a barrel saddle or a deep saddle but something comfortable to ride in.

Does anyone else here own an Arabian and what type of saddle do you use?

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
It doesn't matter. The names are just for the avg. horse it should fit. Not all Arabs will use an arab tree. Use what fits.
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
I almost think that when they talk about Arabian saddles like they are trying to sell something "special" when in actuality they really aren't.
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  5:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
I measured her using the templates they have on here. I measured her current saddle against the 7" gullet wide angel and it has a 7" gullet but the angle must be a normal or narrow angle. I put the saddle on her and if I go with the 7" gullet and a wide angle then the actual saddle would be sitting on her withers which means what I better her fits her than what they suggest for Arabians which shows and extra wide angle and then to counter act that I would need a smaller gullet right???
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  6:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
OK I just printed out the 7" gullet normal/narrow angle and that fits exactly to the saddle she has now. So if I needed to change I should go for the 7" wide angle right? Because if I got the gullet bigger it would sit right on her withers and if I got it smaller it would pinch??? I am so confused.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Are you trying the templates on her? That should tell you which you need. That would be what you need to do. Try the different ones on her to give you an idea of what you need. You may need to print out a number of them but it would better then guessing.
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  8:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
I tried the templates and I don't understand how they should fit, obviously the top part should come down low and hit the withers but I am not sure how the bottom should fit. I guess it should lay flush with her sides. I will try again tomorrow when it is light out.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  8:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Yes, they should lay flush with the sides, otherwise you will have pressure points.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  11:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
That is part of what I didn't get. I know the bottom should be flush but does the top of the underside go down on the withers or stay up off like you would want the saddle to do?
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  06:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
The tops are purposefully lower than the actual gullet. So long as there is clearance, you should be fine.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
OK, I was worried about that because if I tried the 7" wide angel template I was worried that it would come down to low, right on top of her withers but in actuality as long as the angles fit flush then it should be ok. I am going to try that this afternoon and see.
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
OK so I think the best fit is either the 7" gullet wide angle or the 6.75 gullet extra wide, there wasn't a 7" extra template but I think the smaller gullet balances out the extra width.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
You might want to stick with the 7" Wide tree as there are many more of them then the 6.75 extra wide. All saddles, other than the Tuckers at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/fqhb-wide-tree-saddles.html have the 7" wide.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
So anything that is full quarter horse bars should be ok because it doesn't say anything about gullet width so that has me stumped.
Go to Top of Page

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
Here is a picture of Breezy

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
OMG Breezy looks just like a colt I had a couple years ago. It looks like Breezy has a white though, Tuff didn't It's the same of the face and the shade of bay that really looks like Tuffy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000