Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 Frost, An Appendix QH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Three- or four- years old (I've forgotten) appendix QH gelding that was given to my trainer by Findlay Univ., when no one else could work with him. He has "issues" but my trainer is working wonders with him. Two days before she was to bring him home in April, he was kicked during turnout by another school horse and one of his rear legs was broken. After much care, he has recovered and the two of them were able to show once at the end of last summer, bringing home a number of blue ribbons!

editted for spelling

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

Edited by - Saddletramp on 02/04/2006 9:11:00 PM

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Frost is a ncely balanced horse.
Small refined head attached to naturally level neck attached well to the body.
Front legs also clean & refined with good bone and good shoulder movement at the walk. Good slope to his shoulder.
Withers are slighty higher than the butt as they should be to allow better collection.
Nice long underline, back is a bit long but this will change as he matures.
Reasonable muscleing in the buttocks, tail set a bit high
Back legs, nice & clean, good bone and set well under him.
Pasterns are medium in length, should be a smooth rider.
Overall, this is a very nicely porportioned horse. My prediction is he will be be a bit more muscled and balanced when he fully matures. He looks like a wonderful competative horse for English style events.
Would look good in my barn:)

( edited for spelling correction)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 02/05/2006 07:10:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
quote:
My prediction is he will be be a bit more muscled and balanced when he fully matures.

OK this I understand.

quote:
back is a bit long but this will change as he matures

But how will age change his back?

quote:
Good slope to his shoulder

Can a horse have too much slope in the sholder, and how would that affect him?

That is the kind of headset I would like to see on all of my horses.

BTW both of this horses would look great in MY barn.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
In my experience a horse can change body shape as they mature. I think Frost will develop more muscle in the hip and shoulder area which will result in the appearance of the back being shorter. I don't think the back actually will get shorter but the porportions will change.

I have not really thought or read much about the slope of the shoulder being too sloped. The theory is that the steeper the shoulder angle the rougher ride the horse wil be with less ability to move the shoulder freely resulting in a shorter stride. Seems to bear out in practise as well. If you look a Profit's shoulder angle it is well sloped and he has one of the smoothest canters we have seen. Some of the smoothness comes from the power in his loins and his ability to use his hind end during the collected canter.

(Edited for spelling,)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 02/05/2006 7:00:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  7:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Mrs. Hooks says that if the shoulder angle is too sloped the resulting confirmation will put the shoulder out of porportion with the rest of the horse and may put the front legs attachment too far ahead. The Slope of the shoulder seems to follow with the slope of the pasterns and excessive slope on the pasterns could result in weak pasterns. She has also never seen a horse with too much slope in the shoulder. Some of the recent AQHA pleasure horses are being bred with steeper slope to the shoulder to help produce that shortened stilted western pleasure "lope" that we love to hate.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
You explain so well even I can understand. As I walk though this in my mind I can see things relating to each other.
Thanks.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a virtual horse? Move one bone or angle and see how it affects the rest of the structure.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:25:33 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
One of Bob Loomis's books had a great section on confirmation and teaching how to look at a horse. The theory was that you divide a horse into thirds. Take a picture of your horse standing sideways. Divide the horse into thirds by drawing one line vertically from the back of the withers down under the chest behind the front leg and another vertical line from the top of the croup down to the flank.

Now draw a trapezoid like this
____
/___

using the point of the shoulder, the point of the buttocks, the top of the croup , and the top of the withers as the "four corners".

A horse with good confirmation will have an equally balanced trapezoid. Ideally you want a short topline and a long bottom line with all the angles being matched. Its best if you have a long sloping shoulder because it allows the horse to stride further. But if it's not matched with a elongated hip angle it's an unbalanced horse and prone to injuries and strain. It would be better to have a horse with a steep shouder angle that also has a short hip. Although that horse is going to be uncomfortable to ride because a straight shouldered horse strikes the ground hard!

Of course this is only the starting point because a well structured body is useless without good legs and feet. But it seems to me that most people find it easier to "judge" feet and legs.

When my daughter gets home I'll see if I can get her to show me how to "photoshop" lines on an existing photo and I'll try to post a picture of this technique because explaining it is really hard.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:27:22 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Whoops even the trapezoid didn't work out so I'm sure my last post was as clear as mud!!!!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000