Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Circle Y flex-lite question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paintluvn
Tenderfoot

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paintluvn's Homepage Send Paintluvn a Private Message
Hi,
I have just ordered a new Circle Y Flex-Lite trail saddle, and I got to wondering if extreme cold, like minus 20 celcius, will damage the tree. The tack room it will be kept in is not heated. Of course I can bring it into the house, and may do that anyways for theft reasons. But I am wondering if any of you good people know the answer to this question. Thanks for taking the time.

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I can't answer your question, but I always bring all my leather tack into the house during the winter months. The family office looks like a used tack shop this time of year, but I'd rather put up with a little inconvenience than have the leather freeze. I heard leather freezing and thawing out can weaken it because of the moisture content that's always in good leather, though I don't know for sure. I also like to keep my bridles in the house, too, for the simple fact I think my horse appreciates a warm bit if I ride when it's cold out.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I use to bring all my higher end stuff in but with a lack of room in the house and way, WAY to much tack it's not doable. When I had a flex tree I didn't even think about it. It didn't fall apart or anything. The whole freeze thaw thing it's the best for anything. That is why I'll putting heat into the tack room of the new barn. In floor heat. I think I'll put it int he wash rack too, it would be so nice and safer then the heat lights.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I usually don't bring my stuff in for the winter, but I have an insulated tack room that usually, even without heat, doesn't get down to freezing. Before I had the tackroom I did keep my saddles in the house...sometimes in the summer, too, since hot sticky weather isn't the greatest for leather, either!

It was sure a hassle, though...carrying the saddles back & forth to the barn every time I wanted to ride!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I don't think the cold weather will affect the tree or the leather. Dampness due to temperature changes will over time cause mildew both where you can see and where you can't. My thought is to make sure you keep leather stuff in a dry heated area during the damp spring and fall but dry cold should not be a problem.

When we built our new barn we made a heated tack room that also contains the hot water heater and water supply for the barn. We appreciate the warm saddles and the horses appreciate the warm bits.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

waddy
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit waddy's Homepage Send waddy a Private Message
I think we tend to forget about how tough a good saddle and tack really is, with just a moderate amount of care. I live in the northwest corner of Colorado where the winters can be more than a little chilly. I do not know of any ranchers that had heated tack rooms. It is not at all uncommon to have to heat the bits in the winter prior to putting them in your horses mouth to keep them from freezing to their tongue. Even in 20 below zero weather the saddle leather is not "frozen". Stiffer, yes, but not rigid. Think for a moment of the saddles still in excellent shape that are well over 100 years old. I guarantee that those saddles never saw the inside of a heated tack room. Having said all that, it is still very nice to have a warm saddle and tack to slap on your bronc and plop your little bottom into. Like most of the conveniences we have gotton used to, and some of which we think have become necessities, nice but certainly not necessary. For what it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by waddy

I think we tend to forget about how tough a good saddle and tack really is, with just a moderate amount of care. I live in the northwest corner of Colorado where the winters can be more than a little chilly. I do not know of any ranchers that had heated tack rooms. It is not at all uncommon to have to heat the bits in the winter prior to putting them in your horses mouth to keep them from freezing to their tongue. Even in 20 below zero weather the saddle leather is not "frozen". Stiffer, yes, but not rigid. Think for a moment of the saddles still in excellent shape that are well over 100 years old. I guarantee that those saddles never saw the inside of a heated tack room. Having said all that, it is still very nice to have a warm saddle and tack to slap on your bronc and plop your little bottom into. Like most of the conveniences we have gotton used to, and some of which we think have become necessities, nice but certainly not necessary. For what it's worth.

That might be true but times have changed in 100 years. LOL And I have seen saddles extremely stiff in cold weather, and that definitely cannot be good for a good fit on your horse's back. That leather is made to flex for a reason. We're talking riding horses for pleasure and not busting out broncs. JMHO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000