Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 question for Canadians &anyone else withan opinion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dorotomorrow
Tenderfoot

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit dorotomorrow's Homepage Send dorotomorrow a Private Message
This is my story.I live in Alberta now but in the summer we will be moving to the Ottawa, Ontario area.Our plan is to buy an acreage and 2 horses.I can't wait....I've been told it might be easier to find 2 horses here than in Ont and transport them down..I've been riding since the fall with a "cowboy" who has been riding since he was 4, trains his horses, etc etc.I get to ride his other horse whenever he goes to the arena,get advice from him, and if they go away I look after the horses. It's been great.I'm not the very new beginner I was but I still have a long way to go...soooo I'm looking for 2 safe horses (gelding quarterhorses?) with reasonable training. (can walk, trot, lope, pick up leads..)I'm not looking to anything fancy with them.Do you think it would be hard to find horses like this in Ont for a reasonable price?I enquired as to the cost of transport from here to Ont and one place said it would be $1700 a horse. Sure adds to the price of a horse... Sorry for rambling.. Any suggestions, Hook? anyone? thanks!

dorotomorrow

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  11:27:11 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I have no idea what's available in your area nor the price for a horse like you're looking for. You might start watching equine.com, horsetopia, dreamhorse & other online sites to get an idea of what is for sale in your area. Just remember that you need to be very careful when shopping online for horses.

Could you talk to your cowboy friend & ask him to be on the lookout for a couple of horses for you?

I would think for $1700/horse transport cost, you could find a decent trailer & haul them yourself!

Good luck!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  12:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I'd look for horses in Ontario and save the hauling fee. I'll have to look at a Canadian map...that sounds outrageous..but then not sure of the geography and Canadian exhange. Geez, would pay less than that for hauling from New York to Ca. across country! Does the hauler have gold lined flooring or something?

You might want to get your place, settle in, have it ready for your horses, make buddies with a good barn/tack and feed shop/new cowboy first and get scoops on horses from them.

AND...Paint Gal's suggestion is even better, get a trailer yourself for price of hauling.

Edited by - fracturedbones on 02/01/2006 12:21:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  2:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
I live in Alberta, too. I'm looking at buying a horse this spring and have done a lot of searching online. There are lots of horses for sale here but they are generally higher priced than ones with the same age/training in Sask. or Manitoba.

I agree with the suggestion of finding a good place in Ontario first. Make some horsey friends there and then start looking. That does sound really expensive for hauling. I once moved a horse from Manitoba to Alberta and it only cost me $500. Mind you, I waited to tag along with other horses coming this way so it took a bit longer but was much cheaper than just moving my own horse alone.

From the sounds of what you are looking for, you should be able to find that type of horse anywhere. If you don't find something in Ontario you can always come back west to look later.

Good luck with your move and horse search!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  7:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Horses all over are in good supply and if you have no special friend to bring to Ontario I would suggest you wait and get them here after you get set-up. If you E-Mail your mailing address to me I will send you a copy of the latest "horse trader" that has a good sampling of horse for sale. You can also search equine.com for horses for sale in Ontario. There are also local auction sales as well where you can pick up some good buys if you are a good judge of horses or want to take a chance.
We lived in the Ottawa area for 15 years and may be able to hook you up with some local folks to help. Let me know when you are closer to the time and know the area and we'll see if we can help.
I am itching to buy a 3 year old race bred Mare for barrel racing that is listed for $1,500 in the current trader but alas I am completely out of stalls.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

dorotomorrow
Tenderfoot

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  12:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit dorotomorrow's Homepage Send dorotomorrow a Private Message
Thank you all for your thoughts. Having horses transported was alot more than I thought so that isn't realistic for me. Hauling them ourselves isn't possible either as we've acquired some toys over the years (2 snowmobiles and a boat) so we have to haul one of them and ship the other.I guess the main reason I was really wanting to buy here was that I'd have some good help. I wouldn't trust myself to buy a good horse. I'll keep in touch Hook and if you know of someone that might help me that'd be great. I think we're doing a househunting trip in May then a move in July. Until then I'll continue lurking on the forum... and realizing how much I don't know! thx!

dorotomorrow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000