Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 My new trailer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  6:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Ok, here it is. 1980 Campbell Coach with dressing room. While taking pictures I found a couple spots that might need attention before hauling very far If you look at the pic taken of the back, it looks like a horse kicked that side of the wall and bent the metal out a bit. I looked at the wall on the outside behind the tires and there is alot of rust there now....like a rust HOLE. It feels fairly solid from the inside, and my horses dont kick, but one swift kick could put a hoof through the wall possibly. Wish I would have noticed that part before I bought it, but it may not be as bad as I am making it out to be. Looks great other than that spot and pulled smooth.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
Looks great!! See ya on the DE ride!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
The kicked part I was refering to is on the left side, on the wall above and down where the wall meets the floor. The kicked part on the wall is no big deal, just a scuff with surface rust. But down below, the wall has been seperated out a couple inches from the floor. I will try to get some close up pics of it in a day or two, it is hard to explain. A horse at one time must have kicked down low and bowed out the wall causing it to rust through, or at least the outer part is rusted. Might have to remove the rubber wall matting to see what is behind it. If it is just small hole should I worry about it? Would a piece of sheet metal put there behind the rubber mat be sufficient?

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Nice trailer! We just took our trailer to the local dealer and he brushed rust killer and then clear caulked all the seams and welded in a piece or 2. It didn't look all that bad, but I feel better knowing that we have repaired it. Now the horses will be safer! I really have "trail" fever today...I'm just ready to get out there and ride!
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  8:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Nice looking older trailer. Would have to see the damage more clearly to give any repair advice. If it's just a little rusted through, and not something the horse could get it's hoof through, I wouldn't worry about it.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  03:58:39 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Lots of life left in that trailer DM. A wire brush and some Rustoleum primer will hold those rusty places back until you are ready for that gooseneck w/living quarters. Make sure your wheel bearings and brakes are in good shape and you be ready to roll.
I kinda like that Ford too.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  04:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Nice trailer. Will look good with your truck. I like the tack compartment arrangement. Need more close up pictures to give any useful advise re the rust on the sides. Can't be too bad because not obvious in the picture.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  12:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Congrats!! I forgot what you paid??
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  9:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
I paid $1800 for it. My boyfriend looked at it today and said it isnt as bad as I am thinking it is, but he only knows cars, not trailers. My BO's boyfriend is going to look at it this weekend. I am probably just being paranoid, but just want to make sure it is safe for my babies

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Ok, Linda's boyfriend looked at it today and gave it a big thumbs up! Said the rust spot was just cosmetic and did not have anything to do with the structure of the trailer. Just me being paranoid. He said it was a great deal and that it is ready to roll........

Melissa

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000