Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Buffalo saddles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denise
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit denise's Homepage Send denise a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I just ordered a new Buffalo Trail saddle, knowing they are not as high of quality as Circle Y, etc. But because I had heard the name before (and I don't know much about saddle brands) I figured they were more middle of the road saddles. A friend just told me she does not have a good opinion of Buffalo saddles. Did I make a huge mistake??? Are they poorly made? Break down easily? The saddle won't be used in extreme conditions, riding a few young horses but mostly trail riding and playing.
Please let me know if you have any any good or bad experiences with this brand.
THanks!

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  2:09:01 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Everything I've heard about them is bad but I don't have any first hand knowledge of them. You usually get what you pay for.....and sometimes less.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  6:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Same here. When you pay less for a saddle then what the materals cost when they are good quaility something is wrong. Everyone I know personally that has used them doesn't like them but I have heard a lot of people on boards like this that say they love theirs. Because I don't know them I don't know what they are judging them against.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
The only thing I can think to add is don't ever go with a saddle that won't hold up to the job. And this is even more true when it comes to trail riding. I've been in many spots where if my saddle had unexpectedly let go, I wouldn't be sitting here typing out this post! The saddle is probably the most important piece of your equipment for riding trails. I know absolutely nothing about Buffalo saddlery, but I will never skimp when it comes to putting my life on the line when I'm riding my horse up or down a steep hill or along the edge of a dropoff or on a ledge. It just isn't worth it. JMO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Reining-addict
Tenderfoot

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Reining-addict's Homepage Send Reining-addict a Private Message
Only good experience

I have a Buffalo saddle and I do Reining with it, I've never had any problems with mine. It's a strong and very good saddle for the horse I ride and for me. It doesn't really matter how cheap or expensive something is, as long as you take good care of it.

It is true that some cheap saddle brands are a disaster for the back of your horse. And okay, it's also true that when you pay $5000 for a saddle you will have some more quality. But if you aren't careful with that saddle it will break down just as easily as a $500 saddle.

But all saddles are different so when it fits your horse and you're sure that your saddle is from good quality there's no problem. If you aren't sure you could always go to a saddlemaker or a tack shop who could take a look at the saddle.

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
We do see a big difference in the type of leather used in the Buffalo/cheap Mexico saddles. These saddles usually have a very cheap and week leather that is somewhat similar to cardboard. You can take a pocket knife to the edges of the leather and separate it as if there are layers upon layers of very thin leather. This leather tends to be stiffer, dry out quicker and tear easier. There is no dispute though, that when you do take care of something it does last longer.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

We do see a big difference in the type of leather used in the Buffalo/cheap Mexico saddles. These saddles usually have a very cheap and week leather that is somewhat similar to cardboard. You can take a pocket knife to the edges of the leather and separate it as if there are layers upon layers of very thin leather. This leather tends to be stiffer, dry out quicker and tear easier. There is no dispute though, that when you do take care of something it does last longer.

Chuck, that sounds like something I just read this morning when doping out Aussie saddles. They actually call it "cardboard leather." They were referring to saddles made in India, where they use cheap leather and seal it. Looks nice new, but it won't absorb oil, it gets brittle and can actually peel off. Sounds like what you're describing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000