Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 Diagram Showing Proper Fit For Gullet Angle??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Megs
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Megs's Homepage Send Megs a Private Message
Is there such a thing? Something that shows how it's supposed to look? Is it supposed to be flush with the slope just behind their shoulder blade??

What will it look like if it's wrong? Will it stick out of the horses' body instead of laying flush?

(I'm not sure if my horse will be Normal/Narrow Angle or Wide Angle)

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
The template will fit on your horse directly under what would be the location of the front of the pommel. Yes, the angles should be flush with the horse so there is no pinching and there should be a gap at the top so that there would be no coming down on the withers. I do not know whether you horse would take wide or normal anlges either - if your current saddle is pinching, I would guess the wide angle.

A picture showing the proper placement is at

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Megs
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Megs's Homepage Send Megs a Private Message
Thanks Chuck! I have a 6 yr old Appendix QH. 16.1 to 16.2 hands, and probably a good 1100 or more pounds.

Here he is a little over a year ago....

And this was last fall

Yes, my saddle is pinching in the withers (even though I can get two to three fingers in the gullet area). It is also coming up about 1/2 inch in the back when cinched up. I'm going to use try the templates this evening so I can start looking for a new saddle.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Yep - looks like you need the wide tree.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Megs
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Megs's Homepage Send Megs a Private Message
Thanks Chuck! I'll be checking that out this evening.

Any suggestion on how to find out what price range I can expect for my saddle I'm trying to sell? I'm definitely going to have to get it sold so I can put that towards a new one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000