Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Drilling Holes in Steel Trailer Walls...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:21:37 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
I didn't want to hijack Flooper's thread, but in talking about use of wall space, I would LOVE to be able to fashion some hooks, possibly small cabinet up high in the walkway between the two escape doors in front of my horse stalls.

Anyone with a steel trailer have any experience with drilling holes and doing that? Seems they would drill right through to the outside shell. Either that, or... is there any wood framing generally in a steel trailer's walls?

It would sure be nice to have hooks, maybe bolt on a collapsible saddle rack, who knows what. Just wanted to know if that's considered a no-no and inviting problems or not. Trailer is a 1989 Valley, steel. The only wood siding is in the stalls, and only goes up about 3 feet if that. Otherwise, entire interior is steel.

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  09:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW--Unless you have a double-wall trailer, the trailer walls are just one sheet of steel--no shell, etc. I probably wouldn't drill through the steel to the outside..it won't really hurt the trailer (might give rust a few new spots to start) ...but it would look kinda goofy from the outside...also would give you more things to scratch yourself on the outside, too. Instead, drill (or use self-tapping screws for lighter things) into the support braces running up and down the trailer walls...don't know if there are any in your trailer, but there should be. Even better, if you want some nice bridle hooks, is to find someone who knows how to weld and weld some heavier hooks on...then just grind the welds smooth and paint 'em. If you really want to finish the dressing room off, most people will run furring strips across the braces, screw into the braces to hold them, and then fasten stuff to the furring strips. Also...are you talking about the dressing room...or the horse area? If the horse area... I'd be pretty hesitant to put any big hooks or cabinets in the horse area that they could bang into or get hung up on on poked by or could possibly come loose and fall on them.

Bottom line is there are all kinds of holes already drilled in a steel trailer (wires to lights, etc.) so it sure won't hurt the trailer...you just have to decide from an aesthetic and safety point of view if you want to do it.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/27/2006 10:02:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:20:52 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hi Flooper-- I was just chatting with farrier, he showed me the beams (square steel housing). They are in the front walk-through, he suggested just screwing a piece of wood from about waist high down, and screwing stuff into that. Is that what you were talking about with "furring" piece? Never heard that word before.

Nope, I'd never hang/screw in anything where the horses go. Maaaaybe on the curbside stall because that'll be used not for horse, but for camping stuff prolly. Anything I put in there, though, would have to be easily removeable just in case I brought a 2nd horse under some circumstance.

He thought the trailer was a honey! Said he'd take it to a cheap place and have it sanded/painted for about $500-$700 in case I wanted to re-sell it, thought around here I could re-sell it for $3K. I think that's a bit much, but anyway, he was pretty up on the trailer, thought it was a steal.

This is interesting, I believe he said his is 38-ft. (I must have that wrong, seems like a house.) But he bought it empty, a gooseneck, and built it out himself, adding a shower, bathroom, beds, a 3-way fridge, A/C, heat, etc. It's a 3-horse slant and I believe he said 12 ft. of livingspace length. I'm sure my length numbers must be wrong somewhere, but in any scale, that could be a good way to go, he said had he bought it built out he would have paid a huge amount for it, I think he bought it for $24K and all the build-outs cost him a total of about $3,500 which he did himself -- $1,000 of which was the fridge. Sheeesh.

He takes it to Denver to shows, etc. I guess he trains the horses in reining and his wife shows them. Would LOVE to see his trailer, sounds like a really neat unit.

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Yes...furring strips are the small wooden planks/boards/strips that you attach across the braces, and can then attach paneling, etc. to. He is talking more about screwing a bigger, heavier piece of wood to the braces...same principle, you'd just be using a bigger board that could hold more weight. I'm guessing his trailer is a 28 footer, not a 38 footer...but I could be wrong. He probably has 16 feet on the floor for the horses and 12 in the LQ--16 on the floor is fairly typical for a 3H slant. Sounds like he really knows what he's doing...so I would follow his advice. Always better to have someone right there to ask questions of than trying to do it over the internet!! Sounds like you did great on your trailer purchase. Congratulations!!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Yes...furring strips are the small wooden planks/boards/strips that you attach across the braces, and can then attach paneling, etc. to. He is talking more about screwing a bigger, heavier piece of wood to the braces...same principle, you'd just be using a bigger board that could hold more weight. I'm guessing his trailer is a 28 footer, not a 38 footer...but I could be wrong. He probably has 16 feet on the floor for the horses and 12 in the LQ--16 on the floor is fairly typical for a 3H slant. Sounds like he really knows what he's doing...so I would follow his advice. Always better to have someone right there to ask questions of than trying to do it over the internet!! Sounds like you did great on your trailer purchase. Congratulations!!

Well, Chris referred to the walk-through as a "dressing room." Awwwk? That ain't no dressing room, no matter how you cut it. But I was surprised, he was duly impressed. (It's not a pretty trailer, that's for sure. But he said he actually liked it better than his (NOT the big one with the 12-ft. of LQ and the queen bed over the gooseneck, of course.)

It's always good to hear confirming words, though. Hey, it's enough trailer for me, at least now. If at some point in the future I find I'm really doing a fair bit of horse camping, then who knows, maybe I'll get the truck bug and get a hot ticket trailer I can cook in. Wheeeeeeeeee!

I met (online and on phone) a potential trail riding buddy who I'm going to go meet tomorrow. Am dying to see her trailer, she bought a brand new, off-the-showroom-floor Hawk (I think that's what she said it was). With dressing room. Never saw one with a dressing room so will be dying to see it. But here's where the nesting urges come in... there's nothing more fun than outfitting a small space! I figure I'll get some great mileage out of that little walkway, lol. (One porta-potty down, more gadgets to go.)
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW- Just about any bit of space that you can stand upright in can be considered a "dressing room" of sorts! lol

The "nesting instinct" grows old for me very quickly...winterize the travel trailer, tote all perishables and liquids inside so they don't freeze, empty the closets, drawers so that I'm not searching for "missing" clothing during the off-season...etc. Then in the spring, clean everything and tote the stuff back out to the camper for re-packing. Luckily hubby does the mechanical winterizing and de-winterizing cuz I wouldn't know where to begin that!

Back to topic....I'd recommend the furring strips too, much safer than having screws or bolts thru the walls, IMO.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  06:32:01 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletramp

OTW- Just about any bit of space that you can stand upright in can be considered a "dressing room" of sorts! lol

The "nesting instinct" grows old for me very quickly...winterize the travel trailer, tote all perishables and liquids inside so they don't freeze, empty the closets, drawers so that I'm not searching for "missing" clothing during the off-season...etc. Then in the spring, clean everything and tote the stuff back out to the camper for re-packing. Luckily hubby does the mechanical winterizing and de-winterizing cuz I wouldn't know where to begin that!

Back to topic....I'd recommend the furring strips too, much safer than having screws or bolts thru the walls, IMO.

ST, that's funny ("dressing room"). I should actually measure its width because now I'm curious. I thought it was just a very narrow walkway, but it's wider than I thought.

Back to the ferring strips. Can you describe these a little better? My impression is these are just boards, and I'm guessing smaller than 1x4, or maybe that size? You then screw these into the beams, yes? And then put hooks on the wood??

At this early juncture, having not even taken it for a trail ride down the street yet, I'm thinking that what I'd really like in it is a collapsible saddle rack (mayyybe two), a bridle hook (which isn't needed because I can lay the bridle, etc. over the saddle), someplace to hang a simple cloth holder (like a hanging shoe bag) for grooming supplies (fly spray, brushes, etc.) The beams are on either side of the center, where the front of the trailer curves.

So how, in practice, do you end up using the escape doors? Do you need to be able to get out both? Because any saddle rack in the center (which is where I imagine the wood strips would have to go... or wood piece) would stop you from easily getting from one side to the other. Not without ducking under or climbing over.

Porta potty is moveable, of course, and other than that I figure a place to hang extra clothes like a jacket, rain jacket, maybe change of clothes. Will also need water bucket and gallon containers of horse water. And maybe a fleece sheet for Cloud on the way home.

Am I missing a whole gaggle of stuff for when I just take her up to the trails (no campover, just 1/2 hour up the road, unload, ride, water, re-load and return home)??

Having a collapsible saddle rack sounds great. Maybe two.

Also, another question... neither escape door locks. Just a recessed latch you squeeze to open. Unfortunately the truck cab doesn't lock either on the driver's side... only way to secure anything in there is lock driver's door from inside, scoot across the seat, exit thru passenger side and lock from outside. Royal pain in the neck.

So if I want to attach locks to the trailer (would love to) then if there aren't any support beams there, in THAT case would I just drill a hardware store latch for padlock or whatever onto the steel skin on the sides? I mean, would it stay put?

So many questions, I know.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  07:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think you have run out of room in this trailer and are ready to move to a goose neck with a separate dressing room for all the stuff you plan to take. Alright, alright how about a topper for the truck. Just fulfilling ny DE HAA Presidential duties:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  08:38:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
ROFL Hook. Hey, a saddle or two, a porta potty, some water and a bucket... I think it'll all fit fine!

Just measured the interior of the trailer. The walkway is 37 inches wide (doors are narrower) and length of walkway is 68" from the innermost protrusions beams next to doors). Each stall, butt bar to chest bar, are 78" long and 34" wide. The side wood part in the stalls comes way up the sides to the padding. The only two vertical beams in the walkway (steel enclosed protrustions) are 26" apart, outside edge to outside edge, right in the front side.

Also, for what it's worth, there are welded on hooks -- one in each corner in the walkway for trailer ties, and one on each side of the window (front end) in the walkway. (I guess that's if you want to double tie each horse). Plus another hook on the center divider bar which is where I think the prior owner hung a hay bag. (Seems like that would be kind of hard for horse to get to... would involve some tight neck bending).

But hey, that seems enough room for lots of stuff with some planning. As for the 2nd stall... here's what I'm now thinking. Most times I won't have a 2nd horse, only in the case of someone who has no transport that I want to go riding with, but for to/from trail rides, prolly just Cloud.

So what do you think of this idea? A removeable "backboard" in the extra stall. Just a piece of plywood or whatever, with saddle rack(s) fastened onto that, and even a roll of TP, LOL. Seriously, if hanging brackets were attached to the wood siding right below the side padding (as flat as possible, ideally not a screw eye that sticks out) then that whole backboard could be attached or removed in one fell swoop, and along with it, the saddle racks and anything else that's screwed onto it. Maybe attach the backboard with carbineers or something to a flat-ish bracket that stays on the wood siding.

Porta Potty could also go in 2nd stall -- nice private little place away from the doors.

So that's the kind of setup I'm thinking of. Which gives me one question... The floor between the stalls is flat. Any er...uh... "moisture" to the tune of two gallons or whatever Cloud produces (seems like at least that) could currently roll over into what I'm calling the storage stall. Hence the water jugs, bucket, etc. would/could be sitting in pee. YUK!

What would you suggest could be used as a "stopper" of sorts that would keep anything from her side of the trailer from seeping or sloshing or running over into "my" side? Is there some sort of water-tight plastic stripping I could run under the center divider?

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one wanting to use the 2nd stall for a setup for storage, etc. Or, for that matter (and I'm not kidding)... if there's a foolproof way to keep the floor on that side really pristine, I would NOT be above putting a camp mattress in that stall and sleeping in the thing.

So with that layout, any words of wisdom that you've discovered along the way for ways to keep that 2nd stall safe from yukky stuff on the floor passing through from the horse's stall or any other tips? And what do you think of the general notion of attaching a backboard that could be removed (in the case of transporting a 2nd horse only) but otherwise just a great hanging storage area?

And how important is it to keep a walkway of that size clear from things that you'd have to step over/around?

Final question.... what IS inside those metal-covered vertical beams? Can I assume there isn't electrical that, if I screwed wood into it, I'd be puncturing? Is it wood under there? If not, what would screws for the wood slats screw into?

Edited by - OnTheWay on 01/28/2006 08:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  1:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
The beams are probably hollow but yes they do run wires through it. Check to find out where your lights and everything are and then follow the wires back to make sure they aren't where you want.

What kind of divider does it have? You can buy hooks that will slip over things like doors and stall walls. Depending on the trailer that might work.

Dressing room! I have changed in the back of open style Stock trailers you can't get more non dressing room then that! lol

You can bed her stall down and that will help some what with the pee problem. If you don't have a divider you could add one but only if the stall is wide enough for her to spread her legs out to balance. If there is a divider but it doesn't go all the way down you can add wood BUT you can't leave an opening big enough to get her leg through. If it isn't big enough for a full divider you could have a short lip put between the two and with the bedding that should take care of the two but it can't be high at all and has to flat. If it's too high she could twist a foot on it or get a hoof on the other side and get upset. What about just raising that side of the floor by a 1/8-1/4" with ply wood? Then even if it goes under your stuff it up off the floor. You would need to make it so that it won't slide over under her feet but that you can pick it up and lean it against the wall so the floor can dry and air out. Even with that you should bed the stall because when they pee in a trailer and sprays everywhere and the bedding would help stop that. It wouldn't matter if you didn't have stuff back there but if you do it going to get gross.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

The beams are probably hollow but yes they do run wires through it. Check to find out where your lights and everything are and then follow the wires back to make sure they aren't where you want.

What kind of divider does it have? You can buy hooks that will slip over things like doors and stall walls. Depending on the trailer that might work.

Dressing room! I have changed in the back of open style Stock trailers you can't get more non dressing room then that! lol

You can bed her stall down and that will help some what with the pee problem. If you don't have a divider you could add one but only if the stall is wide enough for her to spread her legs out to balance. If there is a divider but it doesn't go all the way down you can add wood BUT you can't leave an opening big enough to get her leg through. If it isn't big enough for a full divider you could have a short lip put between the two and with the bedding that should take care of the two but it can't be high at all and has to flat. If it's too high she could twist a foot on it or get a hoof on the other side and get upset. What about just raising that side of the floor by a 1/8-1/4" with ply wood? Then even if it goes under your stuff it up off the floor. You would need to make it so that it won't slide over under her feet but that you can pick it up and lean it against the wall so the floor can dry and air out. Even with that you should bed the stall because when they pee in a trailer and sprays everywhere and the bedding would help stop that. It wouldn't matter if you didn't have stuff back there but if you do it going to get gross.

Okay, there is a divider. Each stall is about 34 inches wide. The divider is wood on each side and has padding up high. I assume that's wide enough for her to spread out her feet enough to balance -- it's an "extra tall, extra wide" trailer according to the prior owner.

The divider doesn't go all the way to the floor. I'm guessing there's a couple inches under it (maybe not that much but I think so).

Your idea about putting plywood on the floor of the storage stall is actually a good one. I would think that would raise it up (1/2 inch plywood) so that NOTHING could slop over. I'm not sure how close I would want to run it to the divider... would it hurt to run it all the way TO the divider but not beyond? I could do that in a couple of pieces (widthwise) so that each block of plywood could more easily be lifted. I don't see any reason why that elevating plywood couldn't be attached to the wood on that stall's outside wall (which is also wood-lined) with just a hook and eye, like what you can use to latch/lock a screen door. It wouldn't have to be big, there wouldn't be any pressure against it to make it slide over into Cloud's side except possibly shift during turns, but I wouldn't think there'd be much force to that.

Sounds like a good idea, Stormy. Just elevate that side of the floor with say 3 pieces of 5/8" thick plywood. That could be "done deal" pretty easily.

LOVE these great suggestions, especially if simple and cheap!

Definitely will be bedding her side with shavings. Probably a pretty good layer of them. If it's several inches thick, pee just soaks downward, doesn't spread out a lot. Can isolate and remove the wet and not disturb the dry at all.

There are rubber mats, one for each stall. I think even on the human side I'd want those down because there are little spaces between the wood planks on the floor. A cold night, cold air could come up, would not be comfy.

I saw my first BRAND NEW trailer today -- went over to meet a new friend (potential trail riding partner) and saw her barn (cozy and really sweet), her ADORABLE horses, which are truly adorable, and her brand new trailer, which is a GEM! Very similar to the Trail-et, it's all white inside (very inviting indeed!) with a walkway, escape doors on each side, with big humungous feed bags you can attach once you step out (they take up the walkway). Then in a totally separate "room" with its own door in front of all that is the dressing room. I don't recall how wide (front to back) -- it has a V-shaped nose so there's extra length in the middle. Two installed saddle racks that can be adjusted for height and a bunch of hooks. Just the nicest, sweetest trailer!! Everything white and crispy and inviting, and brand new smell. Most enviably, she can lift the loading gate with one hand. (Arrrrrrgh!) I mean, I think it's spring loaded, really super nice. About $10,000 worth of "nice" though. She will absolutely love it.

We walked just a short way up the trails across the street from her house, they are BEAUTIFUL! Apparently town land, and there's even a trailer parking spot she said (couldn't see it because of snow). So even if she's not home or riding, I can take Cloud there myself and not be a bother to anyone. Yeeeee-haw!

Okay, Stormy, good ideas! Thanks a lot a lot a lot. ;-D
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Now I think you are getting hook(ed) on a new trailer:)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  12:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
If the divider is only a few inches from the bottom I would just drop a length of ply wood to finished it to the floor and then have the ply wood floor. That way the ply wood floor isn't going to shift into her side. She would be pushing bedding over to the human side and nothing from the human side is going to roll over into her side either.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  05:31:27 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

If the divider is only a few inches from the bottom I would just drop a length of ply wood to finished it to the floor and then have the ply wood floor. That way the ply wood floor isn't going to shift into her side. She would be pushing bedding over to the human side and nothing from the human side is going to roll over into her side either.

Stormy, another good sounding suggestion. What I'm wondering though is why the center dividers don't tend to go all the way to the floor from the get go? Is there a reason they leave a space?

I hate making permanent modifications in a space that *could* have two uses (e.g., on the occasion where I may be hauling a 2nd horse of a friend or, for some reason, see fit to remove the center divider). So I'm sure there's a way to rig up a temporary bottom block between the two stalls, probably pretty easily. If nothing else, a full length 1x4 that's too tall to slip through into her side with an attaching mechanism that's flat when the block isn't there.

Then I again like your idea to still build up the floor level on the human side, this could be easily done with a fitted piece of plywood cut into 3 pieces for easy removal.

One question as an aside... If horse camping OR on a 2-3 day driving trip, do people leave the horse in the trailer for overnight commonly? I thought it was just a "given" that if there isn't a set up corral in camping (and I hear there may be in some places) that I'd just have to bring some fiberglass poles and electric tape and do a makeshift pen. However I'm now getting the impression that sometimes people leave (or maybe re-load) their horses right in the trailer overnight. (???)

Good ideas! With a floor block and a raised floor on the human side, seems that would elminate a whole lot of concerns. With both being removeable easily, no limitations either!

I may, just for the heck of it, get an estimate how much it would cost to sand/paint the trailer. It's a solid little thang! When farrier looked at it, he said, "with just a tad of care, this thing would last for 20 more years." NO dressing room, that's true, but it could be tons of fun to make it ROCK with totally makeshift er...uh... "LQ" of sorts, just using the 2nd stall and the walkway with moveable stuff and removeable minor installs.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  08:27:49 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oooo, oooo, ooooo! I just spent about an hour on Cabella's website. Now I NEVER got this excited about camping in my cushy new camper. This could be a ton of fun. If you go to their camping--> shower/toiletry section, they have this incredible little "bath house" -- with a little shelf system in it, the whole bit, even a detachable towel rack so you can reach outside and retrieve towel, clean clothing, etc. $99 and looks phenomenal. Has a floor with drainage on the sides even. (Gret place to put porta potty during the day.)

Also hot water heater system $170 (D cell batteries and a can of propane...pfffftt!) But one cheaper I think too).

And have a look at THIS convenient little sweetheart!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jsp?id=0031804516773a&navCount=93&podId=0031804&parentId=cat20112&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20112&hasJS=true

I mean, that is just BUILT to go inside a small trailer and/or serve as a camp kitchen. Like two of these may be in order.

A terrific little dutch oven table (14 x 32 surface) with hooks for utensils, towels and a surface that can handle briquettes right on it (or just be a gret table for gas camp stove).

I figure if you dumped $500 on goodies, you could have a really convenient portable setup. Not at Cabella's but at Sears (haven't looked on Cabella's yet) they also have tent canopies that would make GREAT portable stalls with visual "Containment" to give horse shade. And people also. Okay, maybe $700. But sheesh, so much cute stuff for if you don't have everything self-contained in a camper! I'm seeing a savings of about $10,000 if you drop the camper. And a whole lot more fun.

A lot of this stuff packs small. Get this down to a science, and one would want to be moving out of New England back to a year-round camping climate.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oooo! Flooper!!! Cheap alternative to installing an awning. Two of these side by side - $200 bucks!!!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  09:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I looked on the website...nice stuff for those of us who have to rough it!!

MOST of the people around here, if they camp at all, do so in RV's...so it is hard to find this kind of stuff available locally. The shower sounds like a handy thing to have for long stays at primitive campgrounds!

It can get pretty cramped inside a trailer, especially a small one...so most things, you are better off planning to do outside, preferrably under some kind of a canopy...that said, RH, Donna, and I have cooked inside of our trailers when it rained. Once, Donna put her camp grill in the steel manger of RH's trailer, & cooked on that. Then we moved to my 16-ft stock trailer, which, with the feed & tack pushed aside, was big enough for the stove & one of those little folding picnic tables with seats.

And I've heard of people showering in their trailers...running a solar shower, rigging a curtain for privacy, and letting the water run out the back of the trailer or just through the floorboards. Don't know how damaging that would be to a trailer, though..

So many handy things...you are only limited by how much money you want to spend, and how much room you have to haul it all! Being of limited income, I just buy a few things a year & just keep adding to my collection of camping gear.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Don't let EZ pull your chain, folks. This little lady has astounded me when we go camping. Donna and I will be discussing a problem involving our camping arrangements, and the next thing we know, EZ will be there with some neat little gizmo that foots the bill! Sometimes, I think of her like the old Batman series from the '60's. It seems like she always has the exact item we need for the job when the need arises. AMAZING!!

I just thought I better add that while Donna & I are discussing what to do, EZ is usually busy rectifying the problem while we're still trying to figure it out. Many is the time, we've stopped talking to let our jaws drop in surprise to see the problem solved right before our eyes.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 01/29/2006 1:50:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Oooo! Flooper!!! Cheap alternative to installing an awning. Two of these side by side - $200 bucks!!!

OTW--two of what? I love all these great suggestions, etc. I'm a veteran camper...did tents for years, then went to travel trailers, then last year went back to tents to go horse camping. Will probably still sleep in the tent even with new trailer...love sleeping in tents...and I've got a wonderful Eureka Titan tent that's like it's own little house! I got one of those Coleman hot water on demand things...fantastic for showers, doing dishes, washing hands...they are incredible. Look for one on ebay if you want one...can usually buy them cheaper there. Lots of people get the camping bug, then lose it and sell all the nice stuff they bought cheap on ebay. If you have a steel trailer, you can buy shower curtains with built-in magnets and set up a little shower in back of trailer. I also got a small round laundry tub with drain, and use that to stand in so don't have to stand in poop!!! Best cooking thing I ever got was the Coleman Road Trip gas grill...folds up and has two big grills you can cook anything on...or you can get a griddle or stove top for it too. Had it at the DE trail ride last year, and everyone seemed to like the ribs it made!! Also, another great camping tool is one of the propane catalytic heaters...save to use indoors, and can really take chill off the tent/trailer in the early morning. Wow...this is getting me all worked up to go horse camping...yipeeeee!!!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Awww, I don't really have everything...I think Flooper is the expert when it comes to gadgets for camping!

But one thing I bought this summer that has been really worth it, is a 10-inch battery operated fan. The only problem is that the batteries to run it actually costed more than the fan. But they last for quite a while, and what a help in getting to sleep on a hot night when you don't have electricity...

The truth is that with everything packed in the back of my truck (has a cap on it), I look like an escapee from the Beverly Hillbillies set!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Wow you guys make me hate to admit it but I hate camping. I guess with horses it wouldn't be so bad but I am not the camping person. I don't know why. The animals, dark, cooking out type of stuff don't bug it's just not something I'm that big into.

OTW

I would just drop a 1x4 on the human side of the divider and cut the ply wood to fit. It should hold the board in place.
some dividers are only half way down to let the horse spread their feet out some. It also helps with air. Not all of them have an open space so it shouldn't matter if you put a board there.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  10:04:18 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

quote:

OTW--two of what? I love all these great suggestions, etc. I'm a veteran camper...did tents for years, then went to travel trailers, then last year went back to tents to go horse camping. Will probably still sleep in the tent even with new trailer...love sleeping in tents...and I've got a wonderful Eureka Titan tent that's like it's own little house! I got one of those Coleman hot water on demand things...fantastic for showers, doing dishes, washing hands...they are incredible. Look for one on ebay if you want one...can usually buy them cheaper there. Lots of people get the camping bug, then lose it and sell all the nice stuff they bought cheap on ebay. If you have a steel trailer, you can buy shower curtains with built-in magnets and set up a little shower in back of trailer. I also got a small round laundry tub with drain, and use that to stand in so don't have to stand in poop!!! Best cooking thing I ever got was the Coleman Road Trip gas grill...folds up and has two big grills you can cook anything on...or you can get a griddle or stove top for it too. Had it at the DE trail ride last year, and everyone seemed to like the ribs it made!! Also, another great camping tool is one of the propane catalytic heaters...save to use indoors, and can really take chill off the tent/trailer in the early morning. Wow...this is getting me all worked up to go horse camping...yipeeeee!!!

Oh no, I forgot the link. Here it is again. On second look, it appears the awning is using the liftgate, but I have a feeling it would be able to be rigged to go straight off the side of a horse trailer.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0019861521201a&navCount=1&podId=0019861&parentId=cat20107&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20107&hasJS=true
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  11:11:13 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Taking notes, taking notes, lol. Flooper, that's the one thing I'm going to miss about the tent trailer... the beds are total "tent!" You can either have just screens or privacy screens or, with mine, they unzip down both sides from the top so you can have mesh half way so you can see out (and the stars) but no one can see in. I have done almost no tent camping, but that's what I'm going to be switching to.

The tent I bought a couple years ago I have never even put up yet. It's a Kelty 3-man tent. So it's big enough for two and small enough for one. Anything beyond that size I would shop for if needed.

I kind of like the idea of showering in the trailer, and the magnetic shower curtain is a great idea. However, if it's hot as it was last summer, I think it would be worth it to get one of those outside tent/bathrooms. The one on Cabela's for $100 looks worth the extra money for, it's 4x4 -- not just the footprint with a teepee'd type top, but 4x4 all the way up. Has a great little hanging shelf in it, and great for porta potty when now showering. Also like the fact that it has a floor in it with drainage around the sides. Here's link to that...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0031110516873a&navCount=2&podId=0031110&parentId=cat20097&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20097&hasJS=true

Now one thing tht concerns me... if you get the solar bag too long in the sun, you can end up with scalding water. That would not be fun at all.

I'm now looking at the water heater you were talking about. When it was first mentioned (another thread I think) I thought it was a lot of money, however I really appreciate the hot water in my camper, I think that thing would be worth the cost.

I have a feeling you COULD shower in the trailer tho. If those boards aren't pressure treated then a good paint job on them could take care of that. There are spaces betwen the boards but probably not wide enough for very good drainage. Your tub to stand in is a good idea.

EZ, the fenders on my trailer make a great surface for cooking on, lol.

What I'm lookig at on Cabella's is...
Screen rooms
Cook table (ideally the Dutch Oven cook table)
The outside shower (one of them)
Hot water heater
Collapsible buckets (one is 6 gallons, perfecto for horse! Other is a square tub, but not sure it would be worth messing with if a regular dishwashing tub is available. But hey, maybe.
Porta potty I already bought, still in the box so far.
One or two of those hanging shelf systems I linked above.
Already have great camp mattress (Thermarest self inflating) and sweetheart of a sleeping bag, and tent.
Maybe shade gazebo for horse, and I figure screen room would be a good upgrade from just a shade gazebo for humans
EZ's idea for the battery operated fan. DEFINITELY!!!!!!!

Cabella's also has a heater that operates off propane. Flooper, how do those differ from the kind you mentioned? Catalitic, I'm not sure I know what that means. But here to tell you, I can definitely see merit in a heater.

Already have 2-burner coleman cook stove and DUTCH OVENS!!! Definitely not going to mess with a water tank, it works for me just fine having gallon jugs from bought water. That's how I'm hauling Cloud's water over the winter.

And a super neat ice chest, not the cheapies I have now. I read a review on ice chests and apparently Coleman EXTREME is a hot ticket one. They have a 60-some odd quart one with two wheels on the back. Seems like it would be ideal for pulling up/down loading ramp.

Can't think of a lot more than that. If packed well, this could be handled easily. If choices are easy set/up and breakdown (e.g., gazebo or screen room, outside shower/toilet tent) then it would still probably be less hassle (or at least not more than) setting up tent trailer.

I will definitely miss tent trailer. That thing is so incredibly well designed, I'm sad because I'm pretty much 99.9% sure I'm going to sell it. Used it ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I think there's a lot to be said for tent sleeping also.

Stormie, you're right, a 1x4 would stay in place perfectly if the plywood is cut to fit pretty snugly. Maybe 1/4 inch play in there... enough to make it not a struggle putting it in/taking it out but not so much the 1x4 could fall over. I didn't measure the exact gap on the floor, but it's about 2-3 inches is all.

Cabela's is a treasure trove of camping goodies, they have EVERYTHING!!!!!

I think way to go is just keep everything in huge Wallyworld plastic bins with covers on them, they stack. Have everything "live" in there so it's just a matter of carting SOME of it out, most of it could just stay in the trailer.

Now see I was never this excited about the tent trailer, this is more fun.

Stormie, hey, not everyone likes camping. I definitely do. I did discover, though, just going to a campground and "that's it" I found pretty boring. Horse camping though? Whole nother meaning to it. Makes a whole lot more sense. More worth the hassle. And doesn't have to be hassle either, the more you get it down to a science, the easier it is.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  04:47:42 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by OnTheWay

Well, sorry for such a long post with laundry list, but... well, I hope horse camping is just half the fun I'm anticipating, because needless to say I'm slathering over all the possibilities!
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  09:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Horse pee is a lot harder on the trailer floor than any ol' shower water ever will be!

The Coleman Hot Water On Demand is a little pricey...but it works like a charm...and it's instant...and you can set the temperature. Everyone I camp with comes over to use mine for dishes, washing hands, and some even borrow it for showers. For water, I just fill up a big old cooler, stick the hose in, and you can take nice long, hot showers!!! Also...it's excellent for giving your horse a bath with nice warm water.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:04:07 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:

Horse pee is a lot harder on the trailer floor than any ol' shower water ever will be!

The Coleman Hot Water On Demand is a little pricey...but it works like a charm...and it's instant...and you can set the temperature. Everyone I camp with comes over to use mine for dishes, washing hands, and some even borrow it for showers. For water, I just fill up a big old cooler, stick the hose in, and you can take nice long, hot showers!!! Also...it's excellent for giving your horse a bath with nice warm water.

Well, Flooper I think ya sold me. Sounds like the thing would be worth its weight in gold. One thing that concerns me about the solar showers (black bag) is that you could actually end up having a trick of a time getting the water just the right temp. If you can set the water on this thing... hmmmm, let's say you want a luke warm shower because it's hot out, but then want hotter water for washing dishes (or other way around). Does that work?

I like the looks of that outside shower I linked at Cabela's but saw a thing on eBay for one (looks cheaper but they getcha on the shipping markup) but his listing said it takes two people to set it up. With a dark brown trailer made of steel, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be showering in the thing if it's hot out. Could be like an oven.

In your meanderings have you run across a good, well ventilated outside shower setup that is a snap to set up/break down? Cabela's has just that, but the thing looks pretty skinny at the top and not as light and airy as the one I linked. Love that looks of that one!

Here's where a white trailer with fiberglass roof would come in awfully handy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000