Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Homemade Horse Cookies / Treats
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, I tried a recipe that's the most common one I've seen (on Stormie's website, "Pony Bites"). These came out soft and look like they'll mold fairly quickly just because of that -- soft means moisture.

I made them yesterday, then today took about 5 of them and re-baked them another 15 minutes at 350. They are now harder, so should be more crunchy.

Anyone know which horses prefer? I gave two to Cloud yesterday and there was sure no complaining, she made a career out of sniffing out my pocket to see if there might be any more. However, what started it was I got a sampler bag of Mrs. Pastures cookies, which you could hear getting crunch-chewed, and she really liked those.

Anyone know best way to store them if they're soft? And also, anyone know whether it's better to have soft cookies or crunchy ones for horses? (Either for their teeth or digestion or what...ever.)
Thanks

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  9:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Depends on the horse. The older my mare Star got the more she liked soft ones.

Some do mold faster then others. I perfer the Molasses muffins and the Two steps because when done right they don't mold and keep well just in an ice cream bucket.

If you want to make ones you know mold test them out. See if they will keep in an air tight jar, some do some don't. But you can freeze them or bake them longer like you did. Another trick is to make them thinner so they dry out more. For some you can just turn the stove off and leave them in for a number of hours/over night to dry out, depends on the recipe if that will work or not. If you do this and have a number of batches to go in the oven bake them all and stick them all on one or two pans upside down to dry in the oven.

Even some of the more dried out ones will mold. You can slow that down by using things that will prohibit mold.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:12:02 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

Depends on the horse. The older my mare Star got the more she liked soft ones.

Some do mold faster then others. I perfer the Molasses muffins and the Two steps because when done right they don't mold and keep well just in an ice cream bucket.

If you want to make ones you know mold test them out. See if they will keep in an air tight jar, some do some don't. But you can freeze them or bake them longer like you did. Another trick is to make them thinner so they dry out more. For some you can just turn the stove off and leave them in for a number of hours/over night to dry out, depends on the recipe if that will work or not. If you do this and have a number of batches to go in the oven bake them all and stick them all on one or two pans upside down to dry in the oven.

Even some of the more dried out ones will mold. You can slow that down by using things that will prohibit mold.

Yeah well I tried re-baking them another 15 minutes and that's a little too long, the bottoms blackened some. I ate one just to see what they're all about and could taste a tad of "burnt." She liked them anyway but next time I think I'll just leave 'em soft.

Will check out the other two you mentioned. I can see I'm going to have to be sparing with these. I went out to the barn yesterday afternoon and maybe she smelled them, but talk about a horse giving my jacket the sniff/nibble test, lol. She was nosing right around the right pocket area. "You got dem tings, I knows it, I just knows it." ROFL.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
The two steps you can use food coloring and make them different colors for the holidays. For Christmas I made them red and green and flavored them Peppermint and Green Apple. The horse's wents nuts for them, so did the cows, the bull and the dogs!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000