Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Toby, Teddie & Maggie's New Ride
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Well...after looking hard for about 3 weeks, I went back and bought the 1993 Corn Pro 3 Horse slant. I got the guy down to $3100...that was the best I could do. But compared to the hundreds of trailers I looked at online, it was a very good price...and I don't have to drive 600 miles to get it.

The trailer isn't much to look at...but is very solid. We went over it dang near with a microscope. New floor last year. New paint (a cheapie job, but better than nothing). 6000 lb axles with good LR E tires. No rust through anywhere. No leak in dressing area. Good tight welds with no broken ones we could find. Solid frame underneath. All-in-all, a good, solid, safe trailer.

Ergbil (ex-rodeo-guy-brother-in-law) are going over to pick it up on Saturday. We are going to rebuild the electric brakes just to make sure they're excellent, plus check and repack all bearings. Then we're gonna wire it for 12V power and add a few little "comfort" things, plus put in some plexi inserts on the stock sides for cold weather use. Then...just wait for good weather to go camping.

Anyway...here's my new $3100 wonder trailer!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/25/2006 11:35:19 AM

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Looks like a super find especially at that price! Congrats

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
WOW!!! Looks great! Sleep over in Flooper's new trailer!!! I'ts huge! Great background in the pic...is it really snowing there? 70's here so can't imagine...makes a nice contrast pic! Will have to pay you a finder's fee when I go trailer hunting! Good job
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, it looks great to me! Sheeesh, I think $3,100 for that was a steal based on the looks of it. What's on the inside (human part)? Can't see around the corner. The only two horse trailers I've seen in person are mine and Susan's (which are the same except for age) and they don't have dressing rooms or sleeping place. So describe the inside human part. Is that a bed above the gooseneck? If so then it'll sleep how many?

I can definitely see what you liked about it. And I will bet it will be really nice pulling, I understand goosenecks are a lot easier to tow.

Sunday we picked up mine, and I see what you mean about a shorter one being harder in some ways to back/turn. Somehow I got it turned around in my driveway, but twice I cut it way too short in the turn. It's a shorter length than my camper and highly reactive, it'll take some getting used to.

So describe the inside. Sounds like once you get it outfitted with creature comfort gear that can just live in it, setting up a camping trip could be a breeze! It looks like there's some great storage built in (Cabinets) plus open under area looks really handy.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! I sure looks like ya done good! Sheeesh, the little 2H bumper pull Trailet I was going to go look at was $600 more than this and it had nary even a dressing room let alone camping setup.

Also, what's involved in painting a horse trailer? You said it was a cheap job but it sure looks fine. If you want to get fancy, bring out the masking tape and do some accent striping to match your truck! :-D

Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
Looks good Flooper!! I think that red trailer will match my truck!!

Do you have a gooseneck hitch in your new ride? If not, get the B&W turnover, I bought mine direct from the factory and installed myself. The worst part is working up the confidence to cut that 4" hole in the bed.

Budman
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW...I called it a cheapie paint job because the quality of a paint job is mostly in the preparation. A really good quality paint job would have had at least all these steps:

1. Complete sandblasting
2. Hand wet sanding
3. Chemical wash
4. Two coats of primer
5. Two coats of automotive quality paint

All this paint job consisted of is the guy hand sanded old paint on trailer and removed rust spots. Primed. Put on two coats of metal paint.

It will be fine for a few years, and certainly fine for a $3000 trailer, but it's not the way I would have done it...but then again, why put a $4000 paint job on a $3000 trailer!!

The inside is not all that much too see. Basically, it's carpeted, insulated and paneled inside, and the gooseneck pan has room for a queen mattress for sleeping. There is a wooden boot box to store stuff in with a hinged lid that also works as a step-up to the bed, plus a cabinet that's clamped to the wall that I will probably take out. On the back side are bridle hooks, and I will be putting in some saddle racks.

It's not something Mrs. Flooper would sleep in...but it will be just fine for me. I just decided to go cheap and use this trailer to see what I really want in a trailer. Would hate to spend a whole lot of money and then find out it's not what I really want.

Budman--Getting the B&W Turnover installed as we speak!! Not doing it myself...it's too cold out, and let's just say power tools and I don't usually work out real well... I'm also having them run a pigtail with a 6-way up to the sidewall of the bed, so I can hook the lights/brakes up easier--I don't bend as well as I used to.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/25/2006 11:31:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:28:18 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Gee, Flooper, does this mean no more renting a cabin at MTR for the DE ride... if that's where we end up? LOL

Donna bought a real fixer-upper last fall. It's a straight load 2-horse gooseneck with a brand new pull-out awning on it that they picked up for $1000. It needs a lot of work and it just has a dressing room instead of LQ, but she's planning to have that fixed up as a small camper. They bought an older dually early last year.

Now, all she needs is a horse to ride .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
RH--I can't really call this one a e a LQ--no toilet, no water, no heater....just a little paneling, carpeting, and place to sleep. But...that's all I need!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Floop, that is all you need. That and a couple of comfy lawn chairs. I picked up a porta potty from Wally World for $65 (called "Passport Potty"). REI, etc. have the same one for about $10 more, but it flushes and seals and all that good stuff. I was kind of floored to find that some of them just have a bucket under a seat... still haven't been able to figure out the point in that. As for "kitchen," a little camp stove will do ya and a box of utensils, plates, etc. with a collapsible dish washing pan. If you want hot water, those solar showers seem pretty good.

I'm giving serious thought to selling my camper (now that I've just bought the thing and used it only once). And just go more primative. At least you have a bed, I do believe it's going to be tent time for me. Oh well, bring a 3-legged dutch oven and/or a pressure cooker and the world can be mine in terms of cooking, lol.

Did I see an air conditioner in there? Now THAT is going to be worth its weight in gold if I did.

Hey, it sure looks like a good 'un to me. And I'm convinced you got a really great price on it. Also totally agree with getting a used one until you're absolutely positive the features that are important to you and those that aren't so much, and then being able to buy exactly what you want. You probably won't lose a cent on this one in turnover at whatever point you decide to sell it. So call it "parked money" and enjoy it! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Wow! Now that's a nice trailer for the money! Good job! That's about what we were looking for. It looks very well taken care of! Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Excellent trailer, Flooper!!! I think it looks really good, at at a terrific price! When you're done with it, you can pass it on to me!

Hey, while you're making modifications to it, consider an awning on the door side....if the girls start showing, or you camp out of it, you might be happy to have the shade, and extended living space....just a thought....after all, I am the director of acquisitions! lol Acquire thee an awning! hehehehe

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  7:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Looks like you found a great buy, Flooper, and if you decide to upgrade to a newer trailer in the future, you shouldn't lose any money selling this one!
Are you selling your other trailer?

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
I think ya got a good one there pardner. Does look like that cabinet needs to go. Get ya some of them stackable rubbermaid boxes to put ya stuff in. 1 for tack 1 for camping ect, ect. When you get where you are going just take em out and put them under the neck.
I want to do the ac thing with mine but don't know when I'll get around to it. Then I'll just have to buy a generator.
Anybody ever string up a hammock in the horse part? Was thinking it might work in the spring and fall for a quick nap.
I knew ya could get-r-done

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Charlies mom
Beginning Rider

67 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:50:40 PM  Show Profile Send Charlies mom a Private Message
I really like it too. Have fun breaking it in!
CM
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  09:33:57 AM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
Flooper
Where are you going to put the fourth horse?
Termite
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  10:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Termite,
I am going to buy one of those large "Space Saver" bags at Wal-Mart---you know the ones you put stuff in, then hook up a vacuum to and it flattens them down to nothing? The fourth horse will go in that and I'll just slip him behind the front seat of the truck!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/26/2006 10:47:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  2:37:08 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Awsome Flooper. Both the trailer and the idea for hauling that fourth horse.
I see an air conditioner on that trailer, but if you want to go 12v a Fantastic Brand roofvent is just the berries. They come with temperature and moisture sensors and can really move the air through.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
Wow!
Looks great! I'm glad you found one! I wish I had one!

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  05:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Nice trailer. Looks like you done good.

Don't be too hasty about getting rid of the cabinet. Looks like it could use up some wall space for usefull storage while leaving the floor clear.

Hook up the truck and send us a picture. I would really like to see the one of the fourth horse. Might have to make two trips.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Nice trailer. Looks like you done good.

Don't be too hasty about getting rid of the cabinet. Looks like it could use up some wall space for usefull storage while leaving the floor clear.
..............<SNIP>...............

Ooo, Hook, you took the words right out of my mouth! Wall space in a small area is worth its weight in gold, and being able to shut (if not securely latch) those cabinet doors... I sure wouldn't rip out that cabinet until you're SURE you have a better use for that space. Stuff that falls, rolls, topples, leaks, gets easily lost in a bin, sharp tools, things you want to keep dust free in plastic baggies... hmmmm, I sure wouldn't ditz the cabinet too awfully fast.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. The AC--it works, but most of the places I go camping don't have electrical hookups, so it won't do me much good. The cabinet...good suggestion to leave it for a while until I'm really sure I don't want it.

OTW--One nice thing about buying a cheap trailer is now I won't feel bad spending another $800 to $1000 on an awning--which in my past camping life I found to be the smartest thing I ever bought for camping.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:24:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. The AC--it works, but most of the places I go camping don't have electrical hookups, so it won't do me much good. The cabinet...good suggestion to leave it for a while until I'm really sure I don't want it.

OTW--One nice thing about buying a cheap trailer is now I won't feel bad spending another $800 to $1000 on an awning--which in my past camping life I found to be the smartest thing I ever bought for camping.

Exactly, Flooper. The cabinet you can always pull out (not fun putting it back in if you find it has more good than bad).

No way to put awning on my little trailer (well, I'm sure there is). I will probably keep eyes open for a stand-alone covered tent, maybe screen room, if I really get into it.

Starting out bare bones, will add things as they prove needed. I think sears or somewhere has something like 14 x 14 screen rooms el cheapo if I remember right.

Something to think of, but if you can attacah an awning pretty reasonably, that would seem max convenient.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
OTW; I bought a free standing canopy for camping purposes since my trailer is too small for an awning, too. It's great if you don't have a whole lot of shade in your campsite.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

OTW; I bought a free standing canopy for camping purposes since my trailer is too small for an awning, too. It's great if you don't have a whole lot of shade in your campsite.

RH, I figure that will be one of my first purchases. I detest being hot, so if I do, in fact, get into horse camping, the easiest, quickest-erecting free standing tent canope is going to be high on the list.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  05:48:23 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hey Flooper, I stopped over at Horse City bulletin board and sure enough there's a thread on building out trailers with LQ in varying degrees. Not a comprehensive one, but take a look at this photo for an outside "cooking box." Looks pretty nifty! It reminds me of what people put together on the back end of teardrop trailers...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trailhoss_2/album?.dir=33f6&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trailhoss_2/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  05:54:23 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
The original thread...
http://forums.horsecity.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=002152
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000