Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 4H Hippology
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  8:43:37 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
This space has not seen much action lately so I'll post this here.

The younguns went to their 1st Hippology test session yesterday. They said it was a bunch of kids there from all around the Richmond area.
From what we can get out of them, don't think the scores will be to high, but we can see a lot of desire to do better next time.
The 4H club they are in is new, so they really had not been taught what to expect. Said they enjoyed the work centers but that 133 question test took them by suprise.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  12:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I loved hippology when I was in 4H. We didn't have a team until I was around 16 so it was a late start for me. That first year was an eye opener and we were a group that had been running for years and had past teams. Later I coached the younger teams also. It can be a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  12:27:48 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
What is the 133 question test? I'd like to try it, just to see if I know anything at all yet. Can you post it?

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  4:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
I don't have the test they took. I did a yahoo search to see for myself what it was all about. Here is a link to a 10 page test(they said theirs was 10 pages).I guess most would be about the same. Several others on the search link.
Good luck and don't look at the answers first.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/orange/HipJrTest.pdf

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  10:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
My daughter is going to her first Hippology meeting on Thursday. It is also a new club and we are fairly new to 4H. She joined the local 4H Home Ec club this past fall and she just loves it.
When I was young my big dream was to be in 4H. But I was from "the City" and whenever we would inquire about it as soon as they found out where I lived they would say "we don't have clubs THERE" and slide the virtual window shut. Fortunately things are different now. We live in a rural area, but people drive their kids all the way from "the city" to come to meetings. The leader said they expect parents to be involved and active, and I was like oooh, I finally get to be "in" 4H!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Ya but's where's the answers! Some of those aren't that easy!

Also there is one error in it. One thing I found with working with MI and WI's questions is that they aren't always totally correct. There was a few times I remember that we had to give a wrong answer because it was what they wanted. I don't remember any of them off hand but on that test Part 15 Foaling, #5 "Total Albinism causes and iris that is nearly white with pigmentation only in the corpora nigra. This is often found in Palomino's, White horses or horses with a bald face. This color eye is called."

There are no Albino horses because horses do no carry the genes for it. And that is not a trait of the Palomino gene. So this is something to keep in mind. If you find a question that isn't totally correct ask someone if they want the answer the guides give or the correct answer. One time I did answer the question with both. It was something to do with colors, the guides were wrong but we don't find it in the resources at all. So I answered with the what the guides said and then corrected it. The wrong answer was what they wanted but it was changed for the next year.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Stormie; Could it be that some of these test Q & A's are not kept up to date? Information on horses is changing all the time, and some of it from 5 or 10 years ago is now outdated. Just thinkin' out loud.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:49:28 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

Ya but's where's the answers! Some of those aren't that easy!

Yeah, I couldn't find the answers either.
And this is the Junior test? Wow.
Are you sure it's not "Junior year in vet school" ??
Some of those are tough!

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I'll bite....what is hippology? Visions of studying hippos....but even I figured that's not right We are STRCITLY a horse forum after all
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:15:41 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message
FB, hippology is the study of horses.
From the Greek hippus, meaning horse.

Edited by - hmeyer on 01/24/2006 1:25:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

I'll bite....what is hippology? Visions of studying hippos....but even I figured that's not right We are STRCITLY a horse forum after all

I'm just adding on to what hmeyer has said, but hippopotamus translates roughly as "water horse". Hippos and horses are related somewhere down the line. LOL

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
ooops just gave you the test link.

Here is the main link,
http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/orange/4hhippology.htm

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  02:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
That is part of it. They don't update things much but some of them are more area things like the snaffle vs curb or girth vs cinch. It hasn't been all that long that they got the ablino thing out enough and still you have people that believe it.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  02:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
ohhh I like these, they are so different then the ones we had. But they need a lot of help on the color things. Bays have more then a black mane and tail and buckskins don't have dorsals only dun colors do and greys are more then black. I love horse colors those these things stick out like a sore thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:02:17 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

ohhh I like these, they are so different then the ones we had. But they need a lot of help on the color things. Bays have more then a black mane and tail and buckskins don't have dorsals only dun colors do and greys are more then black. I love horse colors those these things stick out like a sore thumb.

Yep, I know what you're sayin' about the "bay" thing. Terra has a black mane & tail but she's not a bay. Technically, she's a dark brown though I've heard it called liver chestnut, too... no black stockings.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  12:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
My sister's horse is a chestnut out of a Chestnut and a dark palomino. From the chest up he looks bay but the chest down he is clearly chestnut. A few years ago we had got a huge group here at the farm for the vet, saved on the farm call I only paid like $5 for my part of it. The vet was doing coggins and vaccs. He wanted to put the gelding's color as Bay. This is a horse vet, and a good one. Luck's mane and tail are getting a little more red now as he ages but not much it still looks black until you get close.

I have a Brown mare(my Coal). Before I got her I had been horse shopping for awhile. I had it set what I wanted and I had the time and money to wait for it. I wanted a foundation AQHA mare that was around 3-10 years old, broke or not, solid conformation, nice bloodlines for all around western, something I could ride and show and then use as a broodmare but I also wanted color, basicly NOT sorrel/chestnut or grey. I looked at so many horses that were not the color people said they where. Bays that were chestnut or brown. Browns that where chestnuts. A dun that was a bay, one that was a buckskin. A palomino that was a chestnut with flaxen. So by the time I got to Coal's ad I had to ask the woman if she was for sure a BROWN and not a chestnut. She is but man in the winter she is black. The only way to tell she is a brown in the winter is the tan on the nose. In the summer she bleaches out to be a dark bay with high black legs.

But I have to admit Coal was not what I wanted. She is not a show horse she was abused, a nut case because of it, her conformation is good but not what I was looking for. She does have a great pedigree for racing. She has come a long way and turned out to be a great trail horse for me. One that is as 'crazy' as I am and can keep up with me on wild rides. I have shown her and she has done well but she doesn't like it. I just felt so bad for her. She was so misunderstood I couldn't leave her there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000