Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 2006 DE ride
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  11:01:27 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Hey..... Is anyone else ready to get a DE ride plan underway?
Let's talk

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  4:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
Sounds good, I'll mention it to the commitee.

Budman
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  5:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Still interested, but with an 11-year old truck, having to travel alone, and not being able to call anyone in case of an emergency, I probably would not go out of state! I do realize it is unfair to expect everyone to come here (Indiana), though....

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
I'm game. I've never been to one, but I think it's time I should! I'm in southern Indiana. I'm not familiar with too many places....Greene Sullivan State Forest and Pike County Forest. I think it's time I should broaden my horizins! I don't have sleeping quarters in the trailer, but I can sleep on my air mattress in the back of the Blazer, if necessary. A cabin would be nice. It's been 20+ years since I have camped, so you all will have to help refresh me on this subject! I'll be watching!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  11:01:59 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I just bought the January issue of Trail Rider magazine today and they had some awesome pix of Shawnee in there scattered all through it. I haven't read much in it, yet, but that's some of the most icredibly beautiful scenery I've ever seen! I heard, I think, Western Horseman rated it #5 in the best places to ride in the U.S. I may not have the exact words, but it was something like that.

I also bought a book entitled "Trail Riding" by Rhonda Hart Poe, and Shawnee was listed in the 50 Best Trails in North America. Also, Midwest Trail Ride was the only place listed from IN under 50+ Top Outfitters and Organized Trail Rides.

I am really tempted to try for Shawnee if the majority wants to go there, but I'll understand if it ends up at MTR like last year. I just know we'll have a good time no matter where it ends up.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  12:09:15 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Well everyone knows Shawnee has my vote. General consensus has it that cooler weather than last year would be nice.
Shawnee appears to be on about the same latitude as some of our Kentucky members. What is the weather there the first 1/2 of June. How are the spring flowers there? Do the spring rains make the water crossings better? June 11 is a full moon. Could be pretty......or bring out the animal in some of us...

Here is the addy again for Bear Branch which looks like it could meet our needs.http://wwwBearBranch.com

EZ.. Maybe you can hook up with someone around Terre Huate and drive in convoy.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  3:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
So will this be a weekend ride or a week long ride? I just did the mileage from my house and it would be a 7 hour drive. Not too aweful bad. Not sure I will have the money to do this, but if I can save enough, and if someone would be willing to let me bunk with them and share costs I just might be able to come. I think I would probably bring Pete to this ride though, not sure Dixie would be ready for those trails. At least I have heard they are not for beginner riders or young horses, but I have not been there so do not know for sure. I have heard that it is beautiful there though.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  3:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
The first annual DE ride was a weekend affair. Most arrived Friday afternoon and left mid-day on Sunday. A few people stayed a day or two longer.

I can't speak about Shawnee, but the trails at MTR were'nt that bad.
Go to Top of Page

Charlies mom
Beginning Rider

67 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:43:11 PM  Show Profile Send Charlies mom a Private Message
Pick a date to see if alot can go. Maybe there could be 2 DE rides so those that cant travel far or cant ride real rugged terrain would have a choice.
CM
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
Too far for me aprox 12 hour drive.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  12:48:41 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
What intrigues me about Shawnee is the names of some of the places you can ride to such as Secret Canyon, Natural Bridge, Salt Peter Cave, and Rock House. Parrothead; are any of these places accessable from the Bear Branch horse camp? Do you have any idea if they are as interesting as they sound?

I just found the ad in Trail Rider magazine for Bear Branch, and here's what it says:
Come and ride our Lush Forest Trails, with many Stone Bluffs, Caves, Rock Canyons, Creeks and Waterfalls. You'll see why we are known as The Home of "The Ultimate Trail Ride!" Chosen by "Western Horseman Magazine" as one of the top five, best places to ride!

It goes on to say the cabins come with Private Bathes & Kitchenettes. Sounds like they could be a little expensive.

I guess my problem is I've ridden Hoosier National enough times that I'm ready for something different, and if it ends up being two different rides, it's going to be hard to choose... especially when we might be split up into two different groups. Most of the fun is being with everyone who shows up. And that's definitely what made last year's ride such a big success. JMO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  2:28:31 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
This is from the Bear Branch website:

We are within easy riding distance to Indian Kitchen, High
Point, Devil's Back Bone, Natural Rock Bridge, Salt
Peter Cave, Secret Canyon, Peter Cave, Sand Cave,
Jackson Hole, Bell Smith Springs, and Hayes Creek Canyon.
And we're just minutes from the River-to-River Trail. While you are here, be sure to save time to visit the breathtaking Garden of the Gods.

I have never been to any of these except the Garden of the Gods and when they say breathtaking they mean it.

Bear Branch
The Bunk House -
Sleeps 4 people with small bath, separate bedroom and 2 sets of bunk beds, compact refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.
$49 Night/2 Adults - $12 per additional person

The "Rawhide Cabin" (Primitive) This looks like it is similar to the cabins at Midwest$39 Night/2 Adults - $10 per additional person
Sleeps 5 people, includes breakfast table, heated & air conditioned
with porch swing. No bathroom.

MidWest
Deluxe Log Cabin Rent : $40.00, Plus Camping fee, (15.50 per person)per night per Cabin
Sleeps 2-4 includes Electric, Heated and Air Conditioned

The fee at Midwest included stalls, while the fees for Bear Branch are for picket lines. Stalls are $8.00 each.

When I do the math for a primitive cabin for two adults and two stalls
MidWest comes to $71.00/2adults 2 horses and
Bear Branch looks like $55.00/2adults 2 horses
for $10.00 per day more at Bear Branch ya get indoor plumbing

A gal at a different campground (not sutiable for our needs) today told me that June was starting to get warmish, but July and August had the worst heat.
I looked at May but with the Ladies Ride and Memorial Weekend that month was filling up.

I am thinking that June 2/3/4 looks like our best bet. That is a full month earlier than last years, but gives the Narwtherns the month of May to get the horses conditioned.
We'll miss that full moon and our chance to howl....but maybe that is for the best.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  8:19:57 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
I can't do a June ride as I'll be in Brown Co. Indiana then; June 2 through June 11.

Appygirl

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000