Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Self Defense on the Trails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
But not everyone can do that. I ride a lot more then anyone else around here. If I waited for someone to ride with I would hardly get to ride. Also it wouldn't help the horses that need to get over buddy issues. I do have cells and radios. All of our trails are mapped and I always let someone know where I'm going. I wouldn't do that just anywhere. I wouldn't trailer down to Baily lake and go by myself but here are home it isn't as bad. Plus the chances of meeting someone are slim and even then you tend to know them. Not that I trust everyone, you never know, which is why I have a GSD and did take classes on this.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
That's my problem, too. If I had to wait on someone to ride with every time I wanted to go, I'm sure I'd hardly ever go trail riding. I did that once. I waited all day trying to find someone to go riding with me. By the time I figured there was no one who could go, it was too late to get a ride in!

I also agree with Stormie's assessment of keeping a horse from getting buddy sour. I can take either of my horses out on the trail by myself, and not have them throw fits at being alone or separated from their stable buddies for hours on end.

Another perk is that your horse will bond so much faster with you when you are away from everything and it's just you and your horse. The situation totally changes when your horse has no one to keep him safe from the great outdoors but you, and your relationship will get tighter along with getting to know your horse on a much more personal level. They learn very quickly to look to you for guidance and leadership in your herd of two.

Now, do I recommend riding alone???? Absolutely not!!! And when I do, I always tell my husband where I'll be riding and the approximate time I expect to get home. But from past experience, he's learned to add at least an hour to my return home time. And like Stormie said, there are places that I would never ride alone... especially if it's an immensely big trail system say like Hoosier National Forest or the Charles Deam Wilderness Area. You could get lost real easy on those trails and it could take days to find you if you had an accident while out riding alone. Right, Flooper?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Me too on finding someone else to ride with. I'd be waiting a LONG time between rides if I didn't ride alone sometimes.

I have my phone on ME & always let someone know where I'm going & when I should be home. I go to one of 2 trails that I've ridden a lot with & without buddies so feel pretty comfortable on them.

We've met a few people on the trails and I usually do keep my distance. There have been 2 times that I was within grabbing range and one was with a bicyclist that was lost & needed a map & the other was with a HNF Ranger.

You can't be too cautious but stuff can happen on the trail with or without friends.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

That's my problem, too. If I had to wait on someone to ride with every time I wanted to go, I'm sure I'd hardly ever go trail riding. I did that once. I waited all day trying to find someone to go riding with me. By the time I figured there was no one who could go, it was too late to get a ride in!

I also agree with Stormie's assessment of keeping a horse from getting buddy sour. I can take either of my horses out on the trail by myself, and not have them throw fits at being alone or separated from their stable buddies for hours on end.

Another perk is that your horse will bond so much faster with you when you are away from everything and it's just you and your horse. The situation totally changes when your horse has no one to keep him safe from the great outdoors but you, and your relationship will get tighter along with getting to know your horse on a much more personal level. They learn very quickly to look to you for guidance and leadership in your herd of two.

Now, do I recommend riding alone???? Absolutely not!!! And when I do, I always tell my husband where I'll be riding and the approximate time I expect to get home. But from past experience, he's learned to add at least an hour to my return home time. And like Stormie said, there are places that I would never ride alone... especially if it's an immensely big trail system say like Hoosier National Forest or the Charles Deam Wilderness Area. You could get lost real easy on those trails and it could take days to find you if you had an accident while out riding alone. Right, Flooper?

I don't think anyone would recommend trail riding alone. There are way too many things that could go wrong where you need someone. Yet I know I will be at times. It's a calculated risk.

Whenever possible I will try to ride with someone. HOWEVER, there are just going to be times where I either can't work it out OR where I just want some peaceful time with just me and my horse. And for some of the reasons you mentioned. But also because there's just a different way of seeing and appreciating and getting to experience nature when you're alone vs. being with someone, conscious of their presence, etc.

I will be checking out trails, maybe on foot; but for sure getting good descriptions. I will also buy a compass, because I can get lost in Macy's!!! (I am not kidding, once I'm in a department store and make a couple of turns I do not know what direction I came in.) Some of that is just being out-to-lunch and not paying attention, but some of it is a tendency I have to get lost. No sense of direction. Unless it's early morning or late afternoon, as far as I'm concerned the sun is pretty much "overhead," so I'm useless in that way also.

For safety against creeps, I'm working on that. For possibilities of getting thrown in a crisis, I'll have my cell phone but I don't think reception in the woods can be counted on. Can't even get it at Susan's house.

I WILL make a point, however, of letting someone know when and where I'm going, and have it understood that I will check in when I get back. If they don't hear from me, then do something.

All good ideas, RH. One "desensitization" that I want to do with Cloud I am dreading, and that's getting her used to a loud whistle. Either from the saddle or next to her.
C
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  9:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
OTW

Don't dread it. Just start with the whistle when you are outside around the barn. Hang it around your neck and use it a number of times. As she gets use to it you can start using in the barn, in the pasture and then closer and closer to her. At the start you don't even have to be near her just to allow her to get use to the sound.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000