Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 horse eating bark on tree
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  3:35:07 PM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
Lately sweetie my 22 month old filly has started eating bark off a tree. I wonder if she is missing a vitamin, i've changed her feed recently due to my supplier. She is on a 10% sweet feed, gets 4.5 lbs day in 2 feedings. She has pleanty of hay, when i saw her doing this today, she had a pile of fresh hay rihgt next to her. I also feed her a basic multivitamin. She's very healthy looking, probally too healthy. I looked at her teeth, no sign of needing floated, eats feed okay. She has a salt lick in her run in shed. Is she just bored? or do you think she might need a supplement?

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  3:50:15 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
There can be a number of reasons horses eat bark. I had one gelding that ate bark and just about died. It wasn't until after the vet had come out to examine him that we figured out that he must have choked on some bark. The vet thought he was going to die but he made it!

Here's an article that might be helpful: Click!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Country Bumpkin
Advanced Rider

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  12:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Country Bumpkin's Homepage Send Country Bumpkin a Private Message
Mine seem to eat bark when they are cooped up for a few days. Maybe from boredom but could be from a lot of other things too. Maybe just not enough roughage??
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
I think it is just a boredom thing, they get plenty of hay, roughage. I give it to them free choice. Now the weather has gotten colder and sweetie has snow again to play in and i also bought her a big horse ball that she tosses around in the pasture. I have not seen her eating the bark for a few days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000