Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Leg wraps for trailering??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:06:36 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Tiny, thanks. No mangers (I don't think anyway). There's a human walkway between two escape doors in front of the stalls, is that a manger?? The woman I bought my trailer from said she tied down a hay bag onto the center post (there's a hook there, I believe, just for that). What's a manger look like?

Farrier is coming this morning for a trim. I'll ask him about wraps for the back and mainly just to know how to use them properly for any reason, because I don't. Will probably buy the first set of two -- shipping boots which of the two you and Flooper seemed to like better. I did also, actually. I didn't see the 2nd set in person but the first ones looked like good, sturdy coverings and if the bottom edge got mucked up, it would be rubber, not fabric dragging around in foul stuff.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message

Better go with the shipping boots Tinybarrels said were the best...she knows a heck of a lot more about them than I do!!!! I bought mine totally by guessing and reading the descriptions...real scientific, huh?!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
When I was researching horse haulers for Jake, most companies listed their requirements. Recall a lot of them did NOT want shipping boots put on. Jake came in the buff. from New Mexico.

Remember reading somewhere the reason is wraps (and I suppose the ones not done correctly) on long hauls often fall down and the horse gets irritated with them, can start stomping/tripping and causing worse problems. No tail wraps allowed either.

Maybe the thinking is that haulers don't want to fuss with wrappeing and unwrapping so many legs with 4-6 horses every day and night with the all the stops on a 3-6 day trip?

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:28:25 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

When I was researching horse haulers for Jake, most companies listed their requirements. Recall a lot of them did NOT want shipping boots put on. Jake came in the buff. from New Mexico.

Remember reading somewhere the reason is wraps (and I suppose the ones not done correctly) on long hauls often fall down and the horse gets irritated with them, can start stomping/tripping and causing worse problems. No tail wraps allowed either.

Maybe the thinking is that haulers don't want to fuss with wrappeing and unwrapping so many legs with 4-6 horses every day and night with the all the stops on a 3-6 day trip?

I asked farrier about that also, since he hauls from NH to Colorado a couple times a year. He said he used to put shipping boots on them but doesn't anymore. He's never had a problem. Of course he has a slant load, it would seem that could make a difference maybe, but he said whatever you're comfortable with. He did show me how to wrap with polos, just so I'd know how to do it. Not a bad thing to know just for misc. knowledge.

Amazing how experienced horse people have such totally different thoughts on the same thing. Some won't leave home without boots, others don't use them all the way across country, 36 hour drives? Sheeeesh.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  2:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
I've heard of tail bags getting caught on stuff in the trailer an horse pannicking...suppose something like that could happen with boots or wraps. Maybe when hauling 4-6 horses they don't want all of them freaking out if pannick spreads. Though one would hope trailer inspected for potential problems, you know how it goes with horses...always finding a way to get hurt on something you thought was benign.

Would think a very expensive horse being shipped would be in bubble wrap or plastic peanuts...plus the leg wraps..and maybe shipped alone?
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:29:42 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Bones, there's something to that actually. Susan Friend said the guy she buys her trailers from gives her a fair mark-up and fair trade-in every time, I guess they became friends over the years, and he said "I don't make money on your race people, it's the trail riders I love to see coming." He then went on to tell her that racers will think nothing of putting a $20K horse in a $500 trailer, whereas "them trail riders" will put a $500 horse in a $20K trailer.

Sez me, "Awwwwwwwk!!" We love our horses, and maybe them racers don't go camping much!
:-D
Go to Top of Page

tinybarrels
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  11:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tinybarrels's Homepage Send tinybarrels a Private Message
I'll have to admit ... If I look at my competition, as a whole ... the majority, are the "put a $20k horse in a $500 trailer" ... Myself included ! My trailer is an '84 ... was a 6 horse (straight load) with a dressing room & I cut it back to a 3 horse slant with 20 feet of camper/storage. It may be old but not only has it been re-vamped, a-gazillion times but it's home & altho it's heavy, I feel it by far safer. I drag it, at least 40k, every year & have had it since '90 .. the old girl, has been-around-the-world, a time or 2. I can put 3 studs, side-by-side & still have a trailer left, when I get where ever I'm going. I haul everything but the kitchen sink, along & have "needed" 90% of that, at one time or another. Something happens & I'm covered !
Fracturedbones - I like the Bubble Wrap, idea ... ! ... As far as the "Haulers For Hire" .. They bid a trip by the miles ... are gona get paid, wether they wrap or not ... why should they wrap, if they don't have to ... Only the conchienchus(I know I butchered the spelling on that one !), would. They have insurance, if anything happens .. & besides .. I don't think I'd want .. very many of them, to wrap a horse .. of mine, anyway. There is an "art" to wrapping .. I've never had a wrap "bag" .. "bow" a horse or come undone .. but then, I've been wrapping, going on 40 years, too.
Hauling-For-Hire is a business .. What I do is, too ... with a few exception's ... I own or care about the horses, I haul .. After a 1,000 mile haul, I'm expecting my horses to run for $1,000's of dollars .. and Win ... & I'm gona sleep with/by my horses not in a cushy hotel after I've stuffed myself at the hotels resturant ... That hauler don't care about those horses .. as long as they can walk off of the trailer .. He's already been paid ! & 90% of the time, "it's-just-a-job" !!!
O.K. I'm done "venting" about "haulers" ... It's just my opinion ... so ... Let me have it ...

<\___~
_//_\\_ Keepin' the Furry Side up & the Metal Side down ...
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  05:11:41 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Tiny, sounds like a great trailer to me! I think with a new trailer you're scared to make any modifications (well, some people are). With one that you've dubbed "home," you can do anything with it that works.

Sure sounds like you have a great occupation... if you haven't told the story of it, I for one would much enjoy reading about life on the road, competing on horses!! So what kind of competition do you do, and how much time do you spend on the road going from/to them? Big etc!! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  06:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I like the sounds of your trailer. Any chance you could post some picture of your horses. I like to ride barrels but have never put your kind of work in it. Sounds like a full time job to me.

TO POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM
· Open an account at http://photobucket.com
· Click BROWSE on the add pictures screen and upload your picture from your hard drive. This make take some time depending on the size of your picture file
· When the upload is complete right click on the third line down titled “img” then COPY. With my computer I don’t have to highlight, when I right click all of the required file info is highlighted
· Now go to your post on the forum and put the curser where you want the picture.
· Right click, PASTE and you are done.
· Good idea to use preview on forum to check size of the picture. If it is too large go back to photobucket and use the edit function to reduce the size.

Good luck

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

tinybarrels
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  01:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit tinybarrels's Homepage Send tinybarrels a Private Message
Oh Gosh ... I'll have to sit down & write you some story's .. I've got some real good ones !!! First, here's a few pic's ... To introduce you to "Me & the Boy's" ... These are my geriatric's ... Tiny - the Buckskin or Line-Back-Dun, as AQHA calls him ... is 26 this year ... I only ran him 9 times last year but he won every one of them !!!

Then there's Jazzey Rey ... aka the Vermin or Verm, for short ... He's my favorite one to ride ... He doesn't Win, all the time but he's just so darn much fun ... I've had him since he was a baby & I know every move he'll make befor he does ... He's 19 this year.

Well .. that's a couple of 'em ... What ya think .. ? .. Wana climb on & run a barrel .. Gits in yer blood, ya know !!!

edited to adjust pics

<\___~
_//_\\_ Keepin' the Furry Side up & the Metal Side down ...

Edited by - PaintGal on 01/30/2006 12:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  04:37:17 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Tiny, if I were younger (and I mean a lot) yeah!!! I would, lol! Either that or cutting or cross country, they all look mega exciting and fun. And addicting! Great pix! So do you make your living this way? You mentioned "no check, can't go" and lots of miles on trailer...
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  05:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Tiny; I am very envious. A truly good barrel pattern where everything clicks and the form is good is almost a "relgious experience" and can be replayed in your mind forever.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  10:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
tiny...great pics! On haulers...I can only say I had a great experience. Had a cell number to call the guy to check on my new baby (had never seen him before) along the way...very efficient. Gave me condition of the horse on trip, told me "your'e gonna be really pleased at this one"...and gave info. Plowed through a snow storm and got delayed. I had to pay a little extra because of that and boonies location of pick up...but felt it was very fair. Unwrapped.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  10:54:20 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I might not have made any money at it, but I ran barrels on the ApHC regional circuit and placed 11th at the ApHC Nationals in the Open Camas Prairie Stump Race(Appaloosa style barrels) against the pros. There were over 40 entered, and it was the first and only time I competed in this event at this level. That was the same year that W.T. was reserve national champion in the Rope Race, and earned his ROM in Stumps. I'm still taking pictures of pictures with my digital camera to post, so this pic is a little fuzzier than the original, but this is me & W.T. at the 1990 Nationals at Columbus, OH:

So, as you can see, my horse's legs are very important to me, too!

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 01/30/2006 10:59:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Great pics, Tinybarrels.

I don't think one can ever get barrel racing out of their blood and seeing those pics makes me want to go chase some cans!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Tinybarrels...those are fantastic pictures...wow...I would love to do that someday if I ever learn how to stay on the horse!!!

Hey RH...as long as we're digging up ancient photos of past glories...I've got one a lot older than yours!!

This here is me and a ol' cowpoke who went by the name of Jesse James...photo was taken back in '83 when I was arrestin' him.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/30/2006 1:36:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:35:09 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Tinybarrels...those are fantastic pictures.

Hey RH...as long as we're digging up ancient photos of past glories...I've got one a lot older than yours!!

This here is me and a ol' cowpoke who went by the name of Jesse James...photo was taken back in '83 when I was arrestin' him.
http://homepage.mac.com/msmith53/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2006-01-30%2010.22.24%20-0800/Image-4869FAB091BD11DA.jpg

ROFLOL! Gee, Flooper, the last time you posted that one, you said he was you great, great, great granddaddy... or something like that. Good one!

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Jesse James WAS my great, great, great grandaddy. Sheesh, RH, how many times do I have ta tell ya!!

I'm waiting for your photo of you and Calamity Jane!!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/30/2006 1:45:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Flooper...you are a RIOT! Do you know how many times I have busted out laughing at one of your posts? Enough that everyone here thinks I'm crazy! Keep 'em coming.......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000