Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 Gullet clearance great, but pinches shoulders!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluestellardust
Tenderfoot

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  7:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluestellardust's Homepage Send bluestellardust a Private Message
Which new saddle to try now? My borrowed (from a great fellow rider) Billy Cook classic reiner, 16" seat, model 9602 is truly comfortable for me and a misery for my horse.
The horse's shoulders are slightly pinched and the back of the saddle rises about 1/4-1/2" off his back cinched up. The gullet clearance is about three fingers. My horse pinned his ears back when I slid the saddle in place, and complained during cinching...riding sitting trot, his trot was choppy, posting trot he flowed, canter was also choppy. Does this mean that I need a wider tree??? Does this reiner have a wider tree?

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  10:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
The 9602 http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/classic-reiner-saddle.html in our shop measures a wide angle and 7" gullet width. Anything bigger would be Haflinger or Draft Horse saddle. What breed and what physcal characteristics define your horse?

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

bluestellardust
Tenderfoot

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluestellardust's Homepage Send bluestellardust a Private Message
Chuck:
My horse is a warmblood, 16.2 hands high, normal/low withers, with his shoulder area: pear-shaped. His topline has some muscle. Steady weight roughly 1300 lbs. Overall condition is muscled, with body fat. In other words, cannot see the ribs, but can lightly feel them through his winter coat. He can muscle up more(hind end and shoulders) which is the reason for trail work during the year. If a photo would help, just let me know how I can send one to you.
The reiner I tried had the same model number as the one in your link. Even looked the same, so I'm assuming they both are identical.
I sure hope this helps as I just tried another saddle, borrowed again, Western Rawhide brand, 7" gullet, full quarter horse bars with same results...narrow across the shoulders!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000